Turbo QV info needed | FerrariChat

Turbo QV info needed

Discussion in '308/328' started by 89vr, Feb 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 89vr

89vr Rookie

Apr 30, 2007
    Midlothian TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Marotti
    Im not worried about hurting the value of my car by adding a turbo, lets face it, 3.0L qvs aren't rocket ships, and i don't plan on selling the car anytime soon and will retain all the stock parts. Car is an 85 qv mondi, been trying to do some research on putting a single turbo setup in it, only a couple qvs i could find, ohioqv and turboqv, one suck thru the other blow thru. I would probably do a suck thru cis setup similiar to ohioqv's setup, should be easily fabricated. just one log header and some bends, just couldn't see where he mounted the wastegate? im assuming right below the turbo.

What are the limits of non intercooled boost (6-9lbs)? Turbo is a garret T04E .63 hotside. slightly larger cold side, but that doesn't really affect much. .83 i think. I've turbo'd a few cars and this isn't my first turbo rodeo, but it is on an fcar.

The qv motor is already considered low compression, there's some discussion on if the rods,crank and pistons can handle the boost. Is this an issue? also ive heard people changing out the valves on earlier models. do qv valves need updating? seems like its already got headbolts and the tranny bits are good to go for the hp im looking at. Any hp figures before the clutch starts slipping?

any info is appreciated. thanks chris

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Norwoods told me that the clutch is generally good to around 300 hp then the life starts going down, depending on how you drive it. My Mondial 3.2 QV has about 300 hp+, near same as a t, and I think you will find that a pretty good balance for the rest of the chassis as is. Much above 310, other mods might be appropriate for increasing levels of power.

3. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I have a 2v GTSi that's turboed. I haven't had problems with engine internals, just headgaskets. The original clutch was replaced at 22K miles as a "while you're in there" sort of repair, not due to wear. Turbo was added in 1982 at about 2K miles. The orginal headgasket was toast when the wastegate failed something after installation. It then retained a stock headgasket until 2001 and 20000 miles when while I was driving it the waterpump seized. I wasn't able to pull over anywhere safe and ended up warping the heads a bit which lead to headgasket failure after another 6 months. Since I've had a copper one installed it's been fine. I do have it limited to 7psi.

4. 89vr

89vr Rookie

Apr 30, 2007
    Midlothian TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Marotti
    thanks for the quick replys,

any pics of your turbo setup?? you can email them if you want, i talked to some people who do not want to post pictures of their setups. don't know why, but respect them.

is your setup a suck or blow, hmm.....

5. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Were you able to save your original heads by shaving them flat, or did you have to chuck them and install a new set? I think I may have head issues, and I was wondering about the long-term issues associated with 'running hot'....thanks.

6. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah

I have a Norwood Turbo 308qv. PM me for more info or check out April 2006 Forza. If your going to do it? you might as well do it correct with pistons, coppers head gaskets, programmable FI, and an air/water intercooler. Than you will need brakes! :)

Cheers

7. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The original heads were saved, I think they were minimally out of spec, but enough that with the added boost from the turbo the gasket leaked. No problems since...although in full disclosure I don't put tons of miles on it, 2000 miles maybe since the heads were re done.

I'll try to snap some photos of the setup this weekend.

8. 89vr

89vr Rookie

Apr 30, 2007
    Midlothian TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Marotti
    thanks for the replys, pms sent