Turn key, dash lights, turn more...CLICK. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Turn key, dash lights, turn more...CLICK.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by NC348, Dec 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Well, I think this same situation was started to rear it's ugly head on my 348 too. Jeff, could you re-post your original pictures as they seem to have been lost in the Great Fchat Crash of '06 ?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I don't know that I took pictures. Wire looks like wire.

I checked about this again the other night, in response to a thread in the 348 section. I made myself a little diagram of the starter wiring circuit, based on the wiring diagram in the manual. I wanted to see where the voltage drop was occuring. I always just assumed it was in the ignition switch itself. I didn't get any farther than the first or second step. I measured the voltage on the battery terminals themselves, with a freshly charged battery. It was something like 12.8 volts. I checked the voltage at the positive battery terminal on the starter. It was exactly the same. I measured the voltage at the red wire going into the ignition switch. It was exactly the same. I measured the voltage coming OUT of the ignition switch, through the white wire that goes to the starter signal terminal when you turn the key. It was less than 12.0 volts, and the starter simply won't engage with a voltage drop like that. Using my push button, it engages every time.

The thing is, the "weak" voltage is enough to close the contacts in a relay, but not strong enough to activate the starter solenoid. So you just wire the relay so that it has direct battery power going IN, and full battery voltage going OUT once the contacts are closed by turning the key. Not a difficult job.

Someday I will remove the ignition switch, drill out the rivits, and open up the switch to find out what is wrong inside. Chances are that the contacts are just dirty, but it isn't designed to be easy to fix.

Personally, if I were going to install a relay, I would probably put it behind the kick panel fuse box. Everything is right there: a good source for full battery voltage, the wire coming from the ignition switch, and the wire that goes to the starter signal terminal (the same wire). It could be done in thirty minutes. It took me a lot longer than that to install the push button!

Edit: Ooops! I just read page one of this thread. I thought you were talking about pictures of the pushbutton I installed, and its wiring. I see now that you were talking about pictures of removing the ignition switch from the car, and I did indeed have pictures of that. I'll see if I can find them.

3. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    great help about the ignition bypass.
    It would be nice if someone could write a book. "DIY projects for bypassing Ferrari wiring"

It looks like I will be doing my 3rd wiring bypass on my Mondial.
    1. 1st was the fuel pump
    2. 2nd was the slow windows
    3. 3rd will be the starter by pass
    4. do not know yet, but it will be something
    Charles