Twin Turbo TR feedback | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Twin Turbo TR feedback

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by johnbob, Dec 14, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL! When you enjoy as many years as i have of absolutely trouble and maintenence free driving, you can let me know. I just couldnt imagine the power of a 3400pd, 350rwhp Ferrari! LOL

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Check it out guys, i just turboed my Ferrari, its real fast! What do you mean a stock Z06 destroyed me!

Thats when you know you have a real bomb, when you turbo your car, and its still a turd.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    First of all, Bob Norwood has nothing to do with Norwood Performance anymore. James Patterson runs the show and is known worldwide for his Ferrari engine building talents.

The current setups are warrantied...

www.norwoodperformance.com

Allan, want to give specific examples of Norwood turbo problems and not ones that the owner or next mechanics inline actually messed up.

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    It looks like the old Alan is back doing what he does instead of driving, taking care of his wife...or holding down a job.

I have my first ignore list member

5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    The 1,000hp norwood turbos, when tuned down to 500-600hp, will be more reliable than the 'straight' 500hp setups.

Reason being: intercoolers. They cool the intake charge and prevent against detonation.

The 'stage 1' kits are running at their limit at 500hp. The uber-powerful ones are just getting started

The straight "TR" driveline (esp the differential) will need improvements to take the added strain. All that should be part of the Norwood package.

I know of several 1,000hp TR owners that are very happy (but have spent a lot of $) with their cars. Above 100mph it's supposed to be absolutely unbeliveable.

PS: Kudos to you for keeping the car! The 'smarter thing' may be to sell it and just go to a 512tr/m, but if we all did the 'smart thing' I doubt any of us would own Ferraris! Let the heart rule!

Best!
    Ben.

6. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    IMHO this is a shame.

OK, do whatever you'd like, but I love the guy! He adds spice to the board and isn't just another "me too". True, he is a bit harsh at times, but to me. It makes for interesting livley discussions. Surely after all this time no one actually takes him seriously!
    I bet he's a Junior in High School somewhere............
    You go Allen!

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    He is my only ignore member--best feature on this whole site!

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL! See guys like you are what make things fun. Everything in good fun. Nothing taken seriously. Others cant sleep at nights.

In all seriosness, everytime ive seen anything come from Norwoods, the craftsmanship was very shoddy, welds look like they were made by 2 year olds etc. Combine that, with the fact that evrytime anyone of his cars has been tested, something has been wrong with it, right down to the time they tested 3 of his cars, and all 3 were broken.

Mitch, you offer nothing interesting, so its great not talking to you.

9. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Ok seriously. I'm surprised, (but have no reason to doubt you), this has been your experience with Norwood's work. I'd be delighted to share the experience of my 348 with you. I can honestly say that our club members seem to love the car, as do I. As far as the shoddy welds and cosmetic stuff, I can't really say much except the few that I have personally seen have looked nice; actually, mine won "best engine" by people's choice at the local Italian car club day. There were some other beautiful cars there as well, they include, but not limited to an 88 1/2 countach, a 95 diablo, a goergeous F-40 and a pristine F-50. I'd guess most people don't find his work too awefully offensive.
    If you have the chance, I'd advise a visit to Norwoods. James there is a great guy and frequently takes time from his hecktic days to show folks around. He knows these cars better than anyone I've had the pleasure of speaking with. I've been to more Ferrari dealerships than most too. Long Island, Algar, Ferrari of Paris, Ferrari of Sydney, Ferrari of Houston, Ferrari of Seattle, just to name a few.

10. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I was lucky to have the opportunity to personally spend the day with Bob Norwood himself. I discussed the article to which you refer with him. Suffice it to say, it was one of those days that things just don't go well for you, he had one at the wrong time. If you'd like to see a more accurate discription of his cars and accomplishments, I'd advise you to check out his page. These stories are FACT: www.bobnorwood.com

11. Bolicious

Bolicious Rookie

Dec 2, 2003
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Bo Kristensen
    #36 Bolicious, Dec 17, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would call Norwood Performance and talk to them and tell them your concerns.

As for good, ol Bob? I know Bob Norwood well. His cars are pretty tasty and they really give you a kick in the pants. I took this pic of his then Daily driver Boxer with (I'm pretty sure) a TT Testarossa motor. I had to drool the entire time. Yum. Thing was making 850 whp as a daily driver.

Ferrari doesn't like what he does to Ferraris. They see it as ruining of a heritage. Anyways, they refuse to sell him one now. And if I remember correctly, Norwood Performance sees more Ferraris for routine maintenance then Ferrari of Dallas does. Now that is funny when you trust your prestine car to a tuning shop more than the dealer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Bolicious

Bolicious Rookie

Dec 2, 2003
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Bo Kristensen
    $7.5k for a 100 shot? Holy shiet! Bwahahahahaha. Invest in a decent install and a nitrous controller. No biggie and the total set up with a PRESTINE install should be well under $2k.

Damn, they heard the word Ferrari and jacked the price way up. LOL.

13. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    johnbob,
    Thanks for starting this thread - I've been thinking about modifying one of my cars for the past couple years, especially since MB SLKs could dust either one off the line... and now that Subys and Mitsus can also...

Love my cars and am very attached to them as well, so I will probably never trade up at any point, so modifying will be the only way to go.

Please post what you do. I am very interested in the available choices that exist, but am worried about reliability and day-to-day drivability.

David

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    $7.5k for nos is quite high...unless it includes an EFI conversion or it might include a clutch upgrade or pistons. Without a more details, I don't see how anyone could know if it is a fair price??? I talked to them about doing some major work on my QV and the prices seemed quite fair. They planned to upgrade or rebuild anything that might cause a problem with the new hp. I really prefer blowers to turbos for street cars and decided to go that way, but that's the only reason I didn't send it to them for what that's worth.