two questions about California T - DCT and Magneride | FerrariChat

two questions about California T - DCT and Magneride

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Jinster, Nov 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jinster

Jinster Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Hey guys. I am thinking about getting a Cali T as my first F car. Two questions please:

1. What happens to the dual clutch system when it comes to replacement? I know the F430s single clutch needed replacement every 15k to 25k miles at a cost of around $8k. Is it the same for the dual clutch system? Is dual clutch twice as durable but then twice as costly when replacing? I know it shifts smoother but in terms of "riding it" on steep drive ways or heavy traffic, does the DCT system wear out just as much as the single clutch system (albeit spreading the wear over two clutches instead one)?

2. On cars without Magneride, is the suspension still a damper adjustable system when you switch between Sports/Comfort? I thought perhaps it still might be adjustable with "traditional" tech, just not with the instantaneous response of a magnet filings system.

2. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I was told clutch(es) on double clutch transmissions are not wear items so replacement not as likely as single clutch system, that’s what steered me to the California from the 612.
    No help on Magneride. Don’t know

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    On this forum,I have never read about a DCT clutch replacement. And the transaxle fluid doesn't need yearly replacement like with F1. As far as costs go,it is a much cheaper system.

The non-Magneride shocks are just standard shocks. And while the car can be lowered on the Magneride springs/shocks,non-Magneride cars require aftermarket springs.

4. Jinster

Jinster Rookie

Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks guys.

By "standard shocks", do you mean non-adjusting when going from Comfort to Sport on the manettino? My Maserati has what's called Skyhook - it's not independently adjustable using a switch but it changes from floaty to stiff when I press the Sport button which holds onto lower gears for longer and opens up an exhaust flap.

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The base/standard shocks don't have any wires that attach to them. Moving the Manettino doesn't affect them.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The Cali's DCT is a WET clutch system so it's essentially lubricated like your engine. Would you expect to ever replace your engine with normal driving? DCT lubricants are also quite expensive.

There aren't any advantages to using regular coilovers instead of MagneRide shocks. It would also significantly reduce resale possibility. However, using stiffer springs would be a good idea if you like spirited driving and they are necessary when lowering the suspension, unless you don't mind bottoming out and scraping.

7. Nick1078

Nick1078 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I thought all T's have magnaride dont they? They do in Europe from what the dealer told me.

8. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    In the US, Magnaride was an option. Most customers selected it.

To the OP -- the perfect world scenario is that the car you are targeting has Magnaride and the Handling Speciale package. I ordered my 2016 Cali T with Magnaride but HS package was not available until 2017 MY. There was an OEM HS kit available -- so I purchased and installed it this past year.

Magnaride is now widely regarded as one of the Top 10 suspension developments of the past 20 - 30 years and was developed at GM/Delphi in 2002 (I think). It has been licensed to Ferrari (Cali T through La Ferrari), Audi (R8), Acura (NSX) -- among other brands. It is amazing (no moving/wearable parts and ECU controls viscosity in near real time).

I am wildly happy with my Magnaride suspension and factor OEM Handling Special upgrade that increased spring stiffness by 16-20% (different in front vs. rear).

Hope this helps.

john a barnes and tomc like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Don't even consider a T without Magneride. You'll be stuck with it and they don't ride as nice. There's no adjustment via the mannetino, and there's no threaded collar for adjusting ride height should you wish to do so.

The DCT does nkt need clutch replacement. The old F1 single clutch was nothing more than an automated manual - the DCT is nothing like it. The DCT is like the transmission in an Audi or Porsche. If a clutch goes, it's the same as breaking the trans. They are built to handle a few hundred thousand kilometres, so nothing like the horrid F1 boxes.

As for the T with HS? I think it absolutely ruins the car. It's a big and really heavy GT, it will never be a super nimble sportscar, and the HS setup is way too harsh to get any GT usability from the car. It rides almost as rough as a GT3RS which is fine for a track day car, but completely ridiculous for a heavy and soft drop-top GT.

10. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    I was with you (and agreed) right up until you said the HS setup rides as rough as a GT3RS. I own and track a 2018 GT3 and can confirm that in no way, shape or form is the California T's ride nearly as harsh as a stock GT3 (the GT3RS is obviously firmer). My 2016 Cali T has both magneride and the factory OEM Handling Special package. From my perspective, the Cali T (non-HS) was LACKING firmness. There was too much body roll in stock trim. I absolutely love the way the HS upgrade firmed up the ride to make it a more of a proper GT car that is far more enjoyable to drive. It most certainly isn't a 488, 458 or Pista, but the California T with Magneride / HS is still a driver's car -- especially with the HS package. And it isn't "too harsh" ...and absolutely NOWHERE near as firm as my GT3 (in stock trim). I would call it "just right".

:)

BOKE likes this.
  11. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have to be the dissenter re magnaride and handling speciale. Nothing against them, but seriously on the Cali T you won't miss them. Mine has neither and it's a beast. I've had half a dozen Ferrari's, all modern as in 2002 and later, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2013, 2015, have been through a slew of other sports cars and unless you're tracking which I can't really speak to, you'll never know the difference. I'll get flamed. That's okay. Again, nothing against them but for your average owner it's as pointless as HGTE on the 599. Looks great stitched on the seats but otherwise.

montegoblue likes this.
  12. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    OP: My Portofino has excellent handling and a very comfortable ride with the base shocks. I want stiffer springs.

Magneride is expensive to order,expensive to own,and unnecessary. Ask a dealer how much it will cost to replace them when the leaks begin.

vcappp likes this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Never heard of leakage issues, and definitely like the option of firm and soft. To each their own I guess.

14. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Magnaride shocks on the 599's were notorious for leakage, 10k life expectancy. I had to replace both my rears, $1500 a piece from Eurospares.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't mind some disagreement:) I don't have experience with the GT3, but I do with the 991.1 GT3RS. My experience is that when the GT3RS is in the firm mode, it is VERY hard riding. But when you put it into its comfort mode, it's settles down a bit. Still firm, but okay for longer journeys. Driving 9 hours through Europe is still a chore though - in part due to road noise. But my experience with the T HS was a car that in Sport was firmer than the GT3RS in soft which is a pretty firm car, more so than a 488 for example, and then in Bumpy Road it reminded me a bit of the firmness of the 458 Italia in normal mode. I don't get it and I don't see the point. Yes the Cali T rolls a bit, but it's a heavy GT meant for a fun fast cruise. The chassis flexes too much for it to be a real sportscar no matter what, so I don't get the idea of trying to make it one. It's just all too confused. I think it's spot on with Magneride and no HS pack. If more is needed, the 488 or F8 Spider is what is needed. Oddly enough, while the 488 Spider is a great car when it comes to high performance nimble sportscars, it's also one of the most comfortable cars Ferrari has offered. Only Ferrari that gets more comfy imo, is the Lusso - and the F8 from what I hear. How they pulled that one off, still boggles the mind.
    But hey, we have different perceptions and needs, so one should get what one finds to suit the best. Enjoy your T:)

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    True. I was thinking about the DCT generation of cars. I think the issues with the 599 rears were somewhat specific to that model, thus nothing I consider a common issue. Never heard of a 458,488, F12, 812, FF, Lusso or Cali/Porto with leaking shocks. There are 488s in my neck of the woods, that has well over 30000 km on them with half of those being hard track time. Nothing. Main issue today are brakes that wear too fast I think. Nice to see that Eurospares are getting OE brake parts within a more reasonable price.

17. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    Co-Pilota:

Happy to agree to disagree!

One comment that should be clarified from your message: there is no such thing as a "comfort" setting on a GT3. There is stock and then there is Sport mode. This is the Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) system. So just to clarify from your message, there is no way to push a button and put it in "comfort" mode on a GT3 or GT3RS as there Is no such thing.

My point is this:

The STOCK (normal) setting in a GT3 (same as GT3RS) is *WAY* stiffer than the California T with Magneride and Handling Speciale package in full SPORT mode. Just want to make sure that is clear. My friends who have driven both cars concur. There is just no comparison.

What a like about the Cali T (with or without HS) is that the bumpy road mode really softens up the ride nicely. I dream of having such a button on my GT3.

I never thought about adding the HS package until I sent the car up to my mountain cabin and started driving mountain roads with long / fast sweepers. This includes interstate through canyons / grades. If you drive similar roads, you can feel the Califonia T push at speed. Adding the HS package has been transformational and I could not be happier. If you just put around town, or do not want or need adjustable suspension settings, I am sure the non-magneride set up is perfectly fine (and likely awesome).

Also, sorry to hear about someone here having leaks in an older 599. I watch all the 488 / 458 / California / Portofino message traffic and have not seen one instance of leaking magneride shocks.

4th_gear and BOKE like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Semantics. I know it's not called comfort, I'm just in the habit of referring to it as comfort. Normal mode is the soft and comfy mode.

19. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    LOL.

Semantics 2.0! There is nothing normal, soft or comfy about a 991.1 or 991.2 GT3 in normal mode. The thing is stiff. It's magnificent, it handles amazingly well but you feel pretty much every ripple in the road. I love that some guys can DD a GT3. I am not one of them. My back couldn't take more than a week of it on our city roads.

The California T in bumpy road mode? No problem as a DD. Drives firm but like a dream.

20. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Daily drove a 991 GT3 for over 2 years, teeth rattling experience over city streets and hitting a pothole was literally painful. Absolutely nothing soft or comfy about the ride. Rarely used the Sports suspension except on smooth highway. Even with the front axle lift activated, would scrape the black plastic front lip fortunatley it was only a couple hundred to replace and I considered it a wear item.

My non-Magneride California was like floating on a cloud in comparison. 458 Spider with Bumpy road setting and non-Magneride Huracan also far more compliant as daily drivers than the GT3..

SB27 and lucasines like this.
  21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #21 4th_gear, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Please, it’s MagneRide, not Magnaride. Home page for MagneRide. It was also the California from 2008, not the California T, MY 2015, that introduced the technology to the Ferrari lineup.

Please get the basic facts correct because apparently, not all readers recognize the factual errors ...and go on to repeat the errors in their own posts.

BTW, MagneRide are the Cali's shock absorbers, which control suspension rebound. MagneRide doesn't create the compliant ride of the Cali. Rather it's the springs, the soft springs of the Cali, that create the soft ride.

Shocks = suspension rebound control, springs = suspension compression control.

When a suspension is TOO soft, it wobbles back and forth as the car corners, and makes it very uncomfortable if not impossible, for the driver to control the car at higher speeds... because each time the driver makes a correction, the suspension has already shifted, again, because of the softness of the springs. That's why the GT3 works much better when driven hard; and is why the HS option was added and adopted as standard settings for later models, making way for stiffer HS setups for those models.

22. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    Mine leaked on the 458. It was over $10K at the dealership. That was the rear shocks.

23. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Depends what you want. I would not have bought a Cali T without the HS package, never even considered it. The base suspension is too soft and sloppy for me but some people are looking for a soft ride I guess. If I were looking for a luxury GT though, I would have looked at MB or Bentley and not a Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat