[TX] Austin F1 at COTA 2018 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

[TX] Austin F1 at COTA 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by BigTex, Sep 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    They will have specific ride share pick up and drop off points. Uber is fine in Austin, I use it all the time, and thankfully ACL will be over. The parking debacle still isn't any better and now the kart track took up some of the main lot.

2. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Thanks!

3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Cold front rolled in today here in Corpus.

Conflicting reports on the weather for Friday, Sat. & Sun. but most are predicting FRIDAY to be a soaker.

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I was hoping all this crud would be gone by then.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I say "it will be" good weather, for Sunday for sure...!!!

I will post up my pictures from Orientation later, but I have ALL the facts!
    The manual did cost $115 to print in full color, but I am expected to know EVERY access badge they issue!!

So, I can answer anything but will charge you $5 for the answer until I get this book paid off!
    J/K

As an employee I can buy a 3 Day GA for $99 each, all day long.

"They say" per the chatter on FB that ALL COTA parking is SOLD OUT.
    So park on the fields around the track, plenty of Mom and Pop places, some with tacos too!

It's ON in Elroy Baby!!!

My hottie from last year is an Uber Driver, but she's been out of touch recently.
    Let me text her!!

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Look, Britney's picture on the front of it...LOL!

daytona355 likes this.
  7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Bus shuttle loads downtown....

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ah, she just texted back.....

daytona355 likes this.
  9. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Britney Spears?

daytona355 likes this.
  10. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    got some new pics? How goes situation with the rain?

Folks in Llano hard hit, I may be helping them over race weekend now. Or perhaps taking them with me to race would be a good diversion.

11. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    daytona355 and 375+ like this.
  12. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  13. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's also unseasonably cold here. Yesterday was a record lo high temperature by a ridiculous 10 degrees F at 51! Chances of rain today are only 30%, but 50% Friday for FP 1 and 2, 30% for FP3 and quals, and the same 30% on race day.

14. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I checked the weather channel for Elroy Tx. zip code and Friday looks to be soaked along with Thursday. Notice the pics that @NEP sent( which they have a sump pump to transfer all that water out...that was 2 days ago so Im sure its drivable for the moment until the next batch of rain hits). Sunday looks dry but Saturday looks 50/50.

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    [Motorsport] F1 installs COTA kerbs to avoid Max drama repeat.

16. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    1977 USGP

James Hunt celebrates his win in Victory Lane with a cigarette, a beer, and a Penthouse Pet at Watkins Glen. I could never drink Schlitz. I wonder if she made Playmate of the Year for 77 ???

[​IMG]

375+, G. Pepper and NEP like this.
  18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  19. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Austin currently not under flash flood watch. Nonetheless, I just picked up some covered MG seating for day one. Plan to venture to my turn 1 seats for race day. Maybe see some of y'all in the velocity lounge between FP1 and FP2.

I hope Scuderia Tire Strategists can read the precipitation tea leaves well this weekend. Image Unavailable, Please Login

daytona355 likes this.
  20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    One stat is wrong. The first USGP was held in 1959 at Riverside won by Bruce McLaren. then moved to Sebring and then to Watkins Glen till 1980..... then Detroit, Phoenix, then Indy in 2000 and now Austin.

there were also 2nd races in Long Beach CA, and Vegas & Dallas. Long Beach & Detroit went with Indy cars as they do today.

21. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Looking at the F1 website, it is pretty logical to expect Hamilton to win the WDC this year. And possibly do so this weekend. So should Ferrari just eat it and throw everything at the 2019 car? Obviously freak accidents and malfunctions could occur at a mathematically improbable level to make Vettel champion, but being realistic, what does Ferrari need to do across the board to be the winning team next year?

My suggestions:

1. Build a team management that looks and functions more like Mercedes.
    2. Build a killer car and for the entire season never rest on the laurels of the last race.
    3. Let Sebastian and Leclerc race each other from the very first race. No #1 and #2, no team orders.
    4. Have a plan to replace either driver at mid season and don't be afraid to execute if necessary...and it shouldn't include Kimi.
    5. If all the above is too hard for them to swallow, consider letting a privateer take over Ferrari F1...much as Enzo took over Alfa Romeo in the 1930s.

william likes this.
  22. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Proposition 5 may be a solution, but it would be strongly resisted by all parties, I think.
    Mercedes adopted that line when it came back in F1, first at a motorist, and then as a team,
    The Mercedes F1 effort has nothing to do with Stuttgart, apart from the Financial side,
    To build Mercedes F1 engine, MB bought Ilmor at Brixworth, England,
    As for the team itself, it's an semi-independent company using Mercedes license to operate in F1 from Brackley (England).
    Of course there is MB participation in the stock, but they are minority shareholders, I think.
    The rest of the shares belong to Aabar Investments (Abu Dhabi), Toto Wolff and Lauda .
    It seems to work, and perhaps a similar arrangement could be imagined for the Scuderia, just like a migration to Britain, etc ....
    I don't know how the Ferrari fans and supporters would take that.

23. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Departing San Antonio in a few hours to make my way to COTA. Picking up friends in New Braunfels and San Marcos along the way.

**ticket opportunity**

I may have a couple extra Turn One seats for Day One along with room in the Tahoe and a few extra romeo y julietas and monte cristos if anyone reads this in time (I'll be using covered Club Level Main Grandstand Seats for today, but all tix have velocity lounge access...we might all be able to make the easy walk from lounge to covered club level seats).

Looks like rain showers, light mist, low ceilings, and 2-5 mile viz in the forecast, but improving some for Sunday. Quite a bit different than last year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login