U2 Spy Plane chase vehicles (El Camino version) | FerrariChat

U2 Spy Plane chase vehicles (El Camino version)

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by energy88, Nov 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    As some of you are aware, I have an El Camino among the vehicles in my garage. There was an interesting thread recently on the El Camino Central web site about chase vehicles associated with the U2 that I thought I would pass along:

Discussion Starter · #1 · Nov 15, 2022

We've all had folks stop us when driving our Caminos to tell their El Cam story from the past, but this one was most interesting; Last week, I had driven my Camino to the local polling place to vote, as it was a very warm, sunny day for November. One of the outdoor poll workers noticed me parking and complimented me on my truck. He said it reminded him of his days long ago in the Air Force. I asked if he had one then, answer was no. He was part of the ground crew for the U2 Spy Plane. They had a Camino at the airbase, which served as a "guide dog" for the U2 landing operations. The U2 had an over 100 ft. wingspan with only a 63 ft. fuselage length. The wing-mounted landing gear dropped off at takeoff and had to be re-inserted in sockets of the wings after landing, just to support the very wide wings while parked or taxiing.

When landing, the ultra- wide wingspan was so unstable that the driver of the El Camino chased the U2 down the tarmac, in constant radio communication with the pilot, to help him keep the wings somewhat level. The lower height of the Camino was more suited to the low profile of the U2, in case it went under a wing.

I've heard a number of people's El Camino stories over the years, but to have one as a companion for this country's most notable Spy Plane will be a hard one to top.
    I hope it's worth the time to read for you.

Bill

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Thread links:

https://www.elcaminocentral.com/threads/most-interesting-el-cam-story-ive-heard.254753/?utm_content=iss242&utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ed206#post-2597293

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/restore-or-replicate-a-u-2-chase-el-camino.1146816/

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hot-rod Camaros were used for the same job as it got harder to find El Caminos.

carguyjohn350 and energy88 like this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They also used Mustangs in California.

tritone and energy88 like this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yea, one of the comments in the links even mentioned use of a SuperBird in one other case.

Would be interesting to see the build sheets for some of those cars. The two Elkys pictured had dog dish hub caps, which may or may have not been standard equipment or available as an option. I have never seen that kind of wheel treatment on an Elky before.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those were the standard wheels and hub caps on base model Chevies back then. Also used by some street racers to camouflage what they had.

Ak Jim likes this.
  6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    And at Osan.

7. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Love this story. My 1978 El Camino (the 3rd one I've owned) has accumulated 225,000 miles as a daily driver, probably because it hasn't had to chase U2's up and down any AF runway. Just did the front brakes and steering box last week but the valve covers have never been off--that's next, the cork gaskets are getting dry and brittle and drip a little.

Kevin Rev'n, afterburner and energy88 like this.