355 - Ugh - it's going to rain | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Ugh - it's going to rain

Discussion in '348/355' started by PaulK, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right!

Bring a silver Sharpie, Paul, and have him autograph your car.

audi_328 likes this.
  2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
  3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The car looks great.

Robb

PaulK likes this.
  4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    It looks quite fine, Paul.

Did Leonardo Fioravanti come out in the rain? :)

Did he autograph your car?

Robb likes this.
  5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well it happened. The car got rained on. I was cold and miserable. Yet I still am glad to have went. I would have been able to relax not having brought the car, but I hate fair weather people that bail like that. I knew from the get go that it would probably be raining knowing my luck. So yes I would have been able to relax but I wouldn't have had as much fun, and it still remains that the best part of Ferrari ownership is the people and it was a blessing to see old friends and make new ones, on top of supporting a great cause. It is an honor that the dealer thought of me to invite me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

audi_328, WATSON, Julia and 1 other person like this.
  6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    So this is the story of my first show. I could have had a lot more fun if I stopped worrying about the car.

I was disappointed to learn that the designer never showed up. Apparently he couldn't make it. I'm sure there is a good reason. I was possibly going overboard with all the stuff I wanted him to autograph anyways. Seeing my uncle (a legendary GM designer) there was an unexpected surprise.

Sorry for the duplicate pics, not sure how that happened.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

audi_328, steved033 and 308 GTB like this.
  7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yes it is. Well done, Paul

A very special day!

PaulK and Robb like this.
  8. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Where in Michigan was this event?

9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like it was a nice show despite the rain. Hope you are getting your baby all cleaned up again.

PaulK likes this.
  10. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Dude... It's just a little rain. It's not going to rust from getting a little wet. Do you ever wash it?

It. Will. Be. Fine.

It's just a car.

I live in Portland, OR. All it does is rain 8 months out of the year. I still drive my 348... It hasn't disintegrated yet.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This was Eyes on Design that the automotive designers put on. It is healed at the Henry Ford estate on the east side.

Yes but I don't want any possibility of corrosion on even the littlest parts. I also hate it when you drive a car in the rain there is always that "residue" on things that you can't wash off.

I don't wash the car actually, I wipe it. Now I'm not sure what to do.

12. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
  13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    You do comprehend that 99% of the car is coated or plated to prevent corrosion don’t you? They did build them to see the elements without instantly falling apart.

aballas likes this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I use a leaf blower to get rid of all the water after I rinse it, works great

Robb likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just imagine how that Bugatti owner is feeling :D Having said that, it could turn into a rusted shell, but still be worth millions.

You have my sympathies, Paul. In four years of Ferrari ownership, I haven't washed the car once and have no intention of driving it in the rain purely on the thought of having to detail every square inch of the body, underbody, suspension and engine compartment. Even modern cars are not immune to corrosion... If you don't want nightmares, don't go English Ferrari forums.

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ha so true.. everty time I look through those well know refurbish threads usually Europe, the suspension componts and all hardware and engne cradle and what not is rusted as heck Parts are not powder coated almost like rattle can job. That's when I decided no rain at all for me ever.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jjtjr likes this.
  18. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    My man that is ridiculous. No other word for it.

PeteyP and PaulK like this.
  19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Some guys like plump women some like ultra thin and each thinks the other is ridiculous.

That extends to many beliefs where each think the other is ridiculous.

Apparently to not getting a car wet is no different. There are car wetters and car Anti-wetters.

Who is to say what's rediculous exactly. There is a Seinfeld episode in that somewhere it sounds like.:)

carnutdallas likes this.
  20. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Dang all this clean car stuff I may take 2 baths this month, feeling quilty

21. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    I hate dealing with rain as much as the next person and I do avoid driving in the rain. I've passed on car shows, C&Cs etc. because the forecast was wet, or possibly wet, though sometimes I do go anyway. I don't normally wash my car either, I like waterless car wash, though I just started using rinseless carwash which seems pretty great (still use waterless for the engine decklid).

But if you drive your car at all, isn't there always the slightest chance anyway that you'll hit a quick passing shower? I can't imagine not going out for a few hours on an otherwise beautiful day because the forecast calls for a 10% chance of drizzle, maybe.

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Yep always a chance. That's different than 80% thunderstorms all day for 12 out of 14 days though. Sunny generally but maybe a shower, ya were out there. Thats what I have here in NJ. As much as I want to drive ill be lucky to put 1000 miles on.

Hell dont even know if my TS roof leaks I assume it does like a sieve. Kinds don't want to find out.

23. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you, I actually take it as a good thing. Only the very best for my baby.

I do drive it only when the weather is clear. I've only put on about 800 miles since buying it in 2017. And now my car has been violated. By me...

24. aballas

aballas Karting

Jul 29, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Meanwhile I've put 3k on mine in a year of ownership, and scored 98pts at last year's NWFCA Concours. (for 3rd place, and looking at 99.5 pts at the next one hopefully after some easy fixes). All while being driven FREQUENTLY in all weather (no corrosion on my bolts thank you).

Point being, there's taking good care of a car (while also getting to enjoy it), and then there's being weirdly obsessive over tiny minutiae for something that when you boil it down is really just a car that was meant to be driven.

Stefan328gts likes this.
  25. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Robb!
    Thanks!

You mean the same company who coats their plastic interiors in the cheapest, worst possible coatings that turn into goo? ;)

PLEASE do not tell me this. I just recently had the rear end off and it all looked good. My OCD is going into overdrive.

Indeed, I used an air compressor on mine. I does not have the throughput of a blower though.

Yeah I know but it turns out that is not a real Bugatti. But yes what you are talking about is exactly what I worry about.

Precisely!

You have a fair point. BUT. I do enjoy being neurotic about my car. I enjoy babying it and I certainly enjoy looking at it. I DO enjoy driving it but I worry about all these other people on the road... on their cell phones texting and driving... and the roads here are absolutely completely ****. Michigan has the worst roads in the country. It sucks the fun out of driving it sometimes.
    I can imagine that this all comes across annoying to you. Well, I am not going to have a wife and I am not going to have kids. This car is as close to a child as I am ever going to have. Think of me as a helicopter parent but with a car.

Qavion likes this.