Ulrich Bez confirms that the Aston Martin Cygnet WILL be produced.... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ulrich Bez confirms that the Aston Martin Cygnet WILL be produced....

Discussion in 'British' started by Ferrarista3, Jul 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Could it be intended to get their fleet average mpg higher?

I joked a few months ago that Ferrari someday will gladly sell you that new 8 mpg supercar...if you also buy three of their Ferrari Uno 500's that get 43 mpg and have 80 hp. Just consider the extra $60k as the cost of buying your dream car. What you do with the econoboxes was your choice, but Ferrari's fleet average for all sales is now 35 mpg.

2. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    ...exactly that - this is a brilliant move by aston martin...

...consider this: how many people keep a trophy car in the garage for special occasions with an expendable, practical, economical second car as a daily driver?..consider this: how quickly-rising is the market niche for highly-efficient, fashionable, and exclusive city cars?..consider this: aston martin is only making the cygnet available to existing aston martin owners...

...i'd take it even one step further - every supercar manufacturer should include an exclusive compact runabout as a standard accessory with each of their flagship performance vehicles...they'd quickly become just as prestigious as the associated model, add negligible cost and substantial utility to the purchase, and do wonders for impeding CAFE standards...

...the cygnet is a stroke of genius...

3. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I doubt it would really count as part of the "fleet" if you only make them available to supercar owners.

How about just exempting low-millage, low volume, vehicles from these laws? Or, better yet, how about trying try to comply with the rules?

4. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    ...fuel economy requirements don't distinguish between daily-commuter SUVs and high-performance garage queens, regardless of the profound difference in actual fuel consumption and emissions generated - i posit that including high-mileage high-efficiency daily drivers within the CAFE calculations is absolutely in the spirit of the rules, as well as their letter...

5. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    As long as they can fit a V12 in the thing.

6. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    What car do you drive?

An Aston

Oh wow, V-8 or V-12?

Ermmmmmmmm

They did some combined operation in the late 70-ies with Tickford on the basis of the Ford Capri, oh dear that one, and now this. Back to the properly hand-built Aston, but I guess that is wishful thinking.

7. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    [flamsuit]I'd rock it.[/flamesuit]

8. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    But since the Cygnet will only be offered to existing Aston owners, there's no need for the "Ermmmmmmmm". The answer becomes - "Well actually, I have two; a Vantage V12 and a Cygnet" :)

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

And when these things hit the secondary market (about 10 minutes after leaving the showroom)?

This is just like badging the Fiat 500 with the horse.

10. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    There still won't be a flood of them, even once they're on the secondary market. There are only so many existing Aston owners and only so many of them will buy a Cygnet, so supply will be very limited.

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I am waiting for the Rolls Royce version of the Mini.

12. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
  13. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    Very plush for a MINI but hardly up to Goodwood/Crewe standards. Should be several square feet more of inlaid wood on each door, complimented by polished veneer at the door sills, lots more heavy chrome trim on dash, somehow incorporate tray tables for rear passenger and also somehow raise the MINI logo and 3-D it.
    And just for good measure, give it about another 200 lb/fts of torque. :D

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Is there anyone that thinks a car like this would become the car of choice for the 16-year-old whose AM-owning daddy wants to get them something special but a 1-series BMW or Range Rover is too common and a powerful sportscar is too much for them to handle?

15. RossoBarchetta

Mar 15, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I think I should drop a few million there way so they wont produce it.

16. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    ...'cause you think this car is about making AM money?

17. RossoBarchetta

Mar 15, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jake
    No sir. Just my sense of humor.

18. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I don't get it :)

19. RossoBarchetta

Mar 15, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Not too sure I do either.

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That's quite a collection of cars you have. Can you post pictures of them?

21. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
  22. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    I'd consider $32K a reasonable price if it had some balls, but it doesn't sound like that's gonna be the case.

23. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Very sad, look like utter garbage to me.....lesson 101 how to devalue a brand...

24. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I can't wait to see how the English motoring press react to this. They constantly refer to Aston Martin as the "coolest" brand in the world so hopefully this will shut them up once and for all. Despite popular belief, Aston Martins are deeply flawed in terms of mechanics and the performance figures leave a lot to be desired. I can't understand how English journalists think it's appropriate to call the latest DB9/DBS/Vantage a "Ferrari Killer" when the 911 Carrera or SL500 would be a more suitable comparison. I'm sure the biased UK press, who feel Aston Martin can do no wrong, will try to put a good spin on this and announce it as the best in it's class or something.

This isn't suicide, but it will undoubtedly cause irreversable damage to the brand. We should consider ourselves lucky that Ferrari gave us the California and not a smart car rip-off.

25. JUGRNAUT

JUGRNAUT Rookie

Mar 30, 2008
    lul