Ultimate SUV for when it hits the fan | FerrariChat

Ultimate SUV for when it hits the fan

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by WILLIAM H, Sep 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which is the best SUV for when civilization Ends ?

1. Hummer H1

2. Mercedes Benz Gelanden Wagen

3. Jeep Rescue

4. Land Rover

5. Chevy Tahoe/ Ford Explorer

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
  2. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I didnt include the Porsche or BMW bcus I'm not interested in speed or handling + they have limited cargo capacity.

I'm interested in climbing over downed trees, pulling debris off the road, running through blockades, carrying gear, fording streams

Of course extended range fuel tanks, skid plates, & good mpg are also useful when you want to make your escape

generator & solar panels are good for when you want to come back to the disaster zone & rebuild

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The H1 is excellent for the rough stuff but its mpg sux & I'm not sure how much cargo fits inside

The MB G wagen is also excellent for rough stuff, its really built by Steyr-Puch of Austria who really know their 4x4. Its definately the German H1

The Jeep Rescue looks cool. Its not out yet but it looks like a contender

The Land Rover is cool but whats up with their reliability these days?

The Chevy & Ford. Well theyr'e real comfy inside & good on the highway but the advantage is parts are plentiful & so are mods

4. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
  5. stax

stax Karting

May 30, 2004
    toronto, montreal
    Full Name:
    --
    H1 would probably be your best bet
    the new ones aren't that bad inside, but there is limited space
    by this i mean for people, if you go for the open top ... only four people can sit in it. but there is tonnes of cargo room, no need to worry about that.
    mileage is pretty bad, but its diesel, so .... its cheaper i guess ... i dunno
    you can also tow quite a bit, and with the optional winch, you'd be able to pull trees and stuff out of the way for the other guys to get through
    The mercedes G-Wagon is pretty good, but you aren't gonna have the thoughest one out there. i highly doubt that you are gonna be able to climb a 22" vertical step with that. we don't even have to worry about fording through some streams. i've sat in a hummer and a jeep offroad, and beleive me, nothing can beat the hummer, especially with a couple of upgrades, mostly tires.

the only other one that i would consider is the land rover defender. it is sorta the UK Hummer, pretty amazing, but i don't even know if they are even available in North america. the only one i've seen was imported from the UK, right hand drive and everything.

so my personal choice, would be the H1.

Just my $.02

6. thadbrown

thadbrown Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    the defender is a capable vehicle. you can get them here, the problem is that land rover na stopped carrying them a couple years ago, so your options are limited to the used market. i wouldnt take a g-wagen it is just too nice to be drving around when **** hits the fan. for my money i would go with the h1.

7. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    So...civilization is ending!!!

Glad you didn't include that peice is ****ake H2. Glorrified, overgrown grocery getter with no offroad capabilities at all. Someone already said it...tahoe is nice, comfy and parts a plenty. Land rover...too nice, but I've heard of reliability problems of late. Gas is rough on the H1, but you may need it when civility goes out the window. It's pretty f-ing big too, can't get it into tight spots. However...it really is the ultimate off-road vehicle. I talked to guy that was in desert storm. They would crach the Hum-vees to try to break them...couldn't do it. Built like tanks! I like the looks of that new Jeep. If they make it like other Jeeps,which I'm sure they will, it's my winner. Small enough to get into tight spaces and to drive on average streets, yet the off-road capabilities are second only to the H1.

I pick the Jeep for the gas milage, better size, and off-road abilities.

Of course..they have to build it first

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #8 UroTrash, Sep 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Gallardo based SUV seems like a good choice

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #10 Auraraptor, Sep 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The MKIII Range rover was designed by BMW. If the highest suspension setting, it has more groundclearance then an H1.

In comparisons done by a Landrover club with what is often regarded as the best offroading Landrover, the Defender, the Range Rover beat it, much to the supprise of all.

Reliablity is German, since everything on it is sourced from BMW and is german...even the cig. lighters.

This is nice as they sourced BMW brakes, steering, etc. The old Range rover could not stop for ****, the new is amazing considering it weighs in at around 6 and 1/2 thousand. The steering is taken right out of the 5/7 series, and is the famous ZF variable assist power steering. (355's use ZF variable power assist steerings too I believe)

I have one with about 30k miles on it. Not issues thus far at all, aside from oil changes and brake pad changes.

When BMW made it they used everything they could out of a 2000/2001 BMW (they sold it soon after to Ford which added jack to the truck). They went through extensive testing all across the world to make sure it would hold up. For example they had it track across the artic, the sehera, through 400 miles of mud, etc etc, to make sure everything would hold up and work before they sold the truck.

If I have it with me when/if we meet, you can gladdly take for a spin and see if its what you like.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I just think of all those shows from Africa, and it seems that the old, simple Land Rovers are the SUV of choice there when it's really rough.

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Mogs are way cool but where do you find parts for that ?

Land Rovers are cool too but British are not known for reliability & parts may be plentiful in the UK & Africa but I dont know about here in the US

The MB G Wagen is 1 tough truck, I think it can climb just as well as the H1 even if it is fancier. The German Army uses them & Steyr Puch who builds the G-Wagen also builds many other emergency & military vehicles

Looking forwards to seeing the Jeep Rescue

Meanwhile I am looking at prices on a used H1

Do all of these ride like tanks on the highways ?

13. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The Range was designed to ride as good as a 70k lux sedan, since it was to lure buyers away. And it does pretty good at that.

The G has marginal brakes IMO and the ride is not as pleasant.

H1 has a werid interior layout that I could never live with....I can barely touch the person in my frontpass. seat. Something you may want to consider now you are single. :)

14. Skyjacked97ZJ

Skyjacked97ZJ Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gastonia, NC
    Full Name:
    Will Moose
    Ive been around offroading ever since Ive had my license. Ive owned highly modded Grand Cherokees, Wranglers with 35" tires and lockers, and now Im on a Range Rover. Stock, the Range Rover will offroad better than anything. H1's really arent practical because half of the stuff you need to go through, a H1 won't fit through. Wranglers are awesome offroad, great suspension travel and (Rubicons) have 4:1 transfer case and air lockers. But the wheelbase hinders them. Im in agreement with Auraraptor on this one, a Range Rover is the most capable stock SUV/4 Wheel Drive vehicle you can buy. Even better if you mount a warn winch on the front.

15. Skyjacked97ZJ

Skyjacked97ZJ Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gastonia, NC
    Full Name:
    Will Moose
    Ahh, forgot to add that Ive talked with some people at Jeep and it is not actually slated for production. Its strictly a concept vehicle.

16. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    You can't beat an old school (70s) Toyota Land Cruiser

17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That's the other one I think of in the Africa scenarios.

18. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    A surplus H1 would be awesome b/c i think the military uses differnet suspensions on it you can take off doors and take out seats.

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I would only get an H1 if I could get it armor-plated and with the machine gun turret!

After all, you don't want pirates stealing your food, supplies, and women, do you?

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I just read in a Land Rover mag that the Grand Cherokee is also built by Steyr of AUstria & it beat the LR Discovery in the test.

H1 is the baddest in looks though, tough to beat. I'll have to drive an H1 & a G Wagen to decide

21. Skyjacked97ZJ

Skyjacked97ZJ Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gastonia, NC
    Full Name:
    Will Moose
    Yeah offroad performance of the Disco has been lacking over the years. Just keep in mind that a Range Rover is far superior to a Disco in terms of ground clerance and traction.

22. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Gwagen is the way to go. An H1 has no room inside and you can't park it anywhere. Gwag is as solid as they come with a plush interior and timeless looks and 3 lockers. Now that all the soccer moms bought them and found out they are real trucks that don't drive like a Tahoe they are cheap on the used car market.

23. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Anyone checked out the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/Hemi? It looks like a winner.

24. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Tahoe or suburban, fairly easy to lift, haul a lot of stuff, you can sleep in a suburban, parts are everywhere and easy to work on. Also fairly reliable.
    Suburban has my vote.

25. Skyjacked97ZJ

Skyjacked97ZJ Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gastonia, NC
    Full Name:
    Will Moose
    Id steer away from the 05 GC. They switched to a IFS.