Unable To Remove Spots on Leather | FerrariChat

Unable To Remove Spots on Leather

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ElastomerGuy, May 17, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
    On January 2, 2023, I took delivery of a used 2021 BMW M760i with 6700 miles on it. It's equipped with the Tartufo interior. I enjoy detailing my cars so I started detailing that car by washing the seats down. I noticed that the water I was using turned tartufo color. It became clear that the seats had been painted. Cleaning the paint off revealed a number of areas where there were dark red spots on the seats and doors. They look like oil spots or blood spots. I’ve included some pictures. I’ve tried cleaning the spots off using the products listed below but none of them have had any effect. Does anyone know what the stains might be and what I can use to clean them off? Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
    Zaino Z9 Leather Cleaner
    Leatherique Rejuvenator followed by Pristine Clean
    Oil Vanish
    Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner
    Sunbrella Extract
    Uniters Leather Cleaner
    Leather Honey Leather Conditioner
    Griots 3 in 1 Leather Conditioner
    Avel Hussard Leather Cleaner
    Trinova Leather Cleaner

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    I am afraid this is an old trick used by second hand car dealers, and over the years i have fell foul to this method of hiding stains on leather many, many times.
    What ever has spilled on the seats has permanently dyed the colour of the leather, in my experience it will not come out now.
    You will need to get the leather seat professionally re- coloured or buy the correct products and do it yourself.
    Have a look at the thread / post where the guy does his 355 interior, with the correct tools, products and correct method of application the result was amazing.

3. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    The post was " Leatherique Custom Dye Issues ".

4. ElastomerGuy

ElastomerGuy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2007
    N.W. PA
    John, thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. The car was purchased from a BMW dealer that I thought was reputable. I guess I was wrong. Anyway, I will look at the thread you suggested.

5. Autodetailing

Autodetailing Karting

Oct 5, 2021
    Full Name:
    John
    If they are a reputable dealership, i would take the car back and simply explain the situation.
    Offering to pay towards some of the cost saves you some money and softens the blow on their side too, far better than going in all guns blazing?

Thecadster likes this.
  6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Save yourself some headaches by going to Ferrari Dealership or check around for an high end auto upholstery shop that deals in leather color mishaps. When I got my 15 458 I allowed an individual to sit in my car & little did I realize he had grease on the back of his shirt. It discolored a small area of the passenger seat& the color blanched. Nothing worked. Finally took it to the Ferrari dealership who utilized a mobile repair service & they did a great job. Whatever you do don't mess with it yourself. Definetely don't use Leatherique as their quality is not like the old days. The cost was trivial, service ,quality work great.

7. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I agree with DocF. Go to the FChat regional subforum where you live and ask the local guys who does leather repair. Get a professional do the work, they do this stuff all the time.

docf likes this.