"Unaccounted for" vintage Ferraris | FerrariChat

"Unaccounted for" vintage Ferraris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Horsefly, Dec 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    With all the assets of places like Barchetta, F-chat, decades worth of books, and dozens of rabid Ferrari historians;.....how many Ferraris that were produced say,...before 1970 are still unaccounted for? It seems that the F-chat detectives can quickly determine the identity of nearly any car by photos alone, so the process of elimination would account for a considerable number of the older classics of the pre-1970 era. Since Ferrari numbers are minimal in the first place, this would leave not very many cars that are unaccounted for. For example, if somebody is looking for a 275 project car in a barn, what are their odds of actually finding anything?
    Number produced minus number accounted for equals the number of cars outstanding that COULD be in a barn somewhere. The same formula could be applied to any limited vintage model.
    So how many 275s, or 250GTEs, or whatever are UNaccounted for, and could theoretically be hiding in a forgotten barn or garage?

Or has every member of the vintage herd been "tagged and bagged" already?

2. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    A potentially very interesting topic for us, what a great idea. Let's Christen it
    "Where are they now ?"

3. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    I'll start with the only usefull information I have:
    I have the entire steering column for 365GT #12515, so I assume it is dead and gone. Why do I have it? I don't know.
    So that's one down.

4. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Bill Preston's excellent 250 GTE Register lists 181 GTEs with "No current information known" other that PF build records. Six cars came off the list last year when they (or bits of them) emerged from hiding.

I'm sure they'll not all be found, but the list gets smaller each year!

T308

5. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I posted this on the old forum.

When I was a boy before I 40 came through Hickory NC, we would go to Atlanta via what is now some serious back roads. (US 321, US 221, ect.)

There was a 60's Ferrari convertable, in rust, at an old house we would pass every time I went. My father would sometimes talk about what a shame it was that that car had ben ruined.

I have no idea which it was, but it was one of the "gonners."

6. cbreed

cbreed Formula Junior

May 10, 2005
    Jonestown, Tx
    Full Name:
    Charles
    We can find all the current owners (assuming they reply)

or

try to find the Known dead cars

or

both...

I can personally account for S/N 0157 EL, 1951 Vignale

7. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Heh. I know of one 4 headlight 330 that is lost. Actually I can't find it, and it's local. Tom Shaughnessy knows, I'm sure. But he wont tell.

Happy now? JB

8. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    hi,it is an interesting and complicated topic. i am working on the even numbered cars up thru the mid 60s using books and a growing collection of cavallion, forza and other mags. all the vignale cars are covered by marcel masini's book. the odd numbered touring farina etc cars are often more dificult to get info on. if anyone woulld like to contact me at [email protected] with a chassis # i will be glad to try to help them. it is interesting how many of the even numbered cars of this period are still lost. as most of these were competition cars some of course met a rather violent end. but the lost sheep are still showing up from time to time as we have seen during 2006. . what a great year for 'barn finds'. .i will be glad to help if i can. george

9. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    There is a lot of data on the registries, see Kerry's terrific 330 site for example. With Kerry's years of work there are still many of the 474 Series IIs un-accounted for, how many sleep with the fishes (BrianPs trademarked phrase!) how many are in the hands of private collectors that do not want their ownership disclosed (two of which I know of near me), who knows, with the smaller run cars perhaps this is less a problem, M

10. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    most missing were probably sentenced to the crusher, after all they were just old beat up Italian cars back then not worth fixing. Probably a few basterdized remnants of frames remaining as well with V8s in them.

I would suspect the real gem barn cars are in foreign Countries you would never guess a Ferrari to be such as stolen models hidden for years or other strange things happpening for them to end up where they are.

11. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    There was an original Daytona Spyder that was burned to a crisp a few years back and was in storage in Houston, Texas. Being such a valuable car, people will go to great lengths to rebuild such a car. That said, It was completely gutted. I am not sure the effects that fire has on metal. If anyone can shed some knowledge on that, I would appreciate it. Anyway, if the metal wasn't so bad, I am sure that it has been restored by now but I am not sure if it was possible...??

12. djaffrey

djaffrey Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    DJ
    John Vardanian and I (with the help of a Ferrari historian) have been working on a PF Coupe Register and we can account for 113 of the 353 PF Coupes produced. That includes rebodies as TDF, GTO whatever and total write offs.

So that means there are 240 still unaccounted for, some existant I'm sure and some not I guess.

Oh and anyone on this site who owns a PF and contributed to the wonderful PF Coupe thread a while back...yours is accounted for.

Cheers

Darren.

13. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Going way back to sometime between 1969 and 1971, a Pacific 66 gas station at Bay St & Government St in Victoria, BC had a white 250PF and a grey-silver 250GTE, priced at $2400 and $2600 respectively. They had been brought into Victoria at the same time, but I don't know from where. The 250PF had drum brakes. The mechanic told me the PF was a '62 and that the drums brakes were custom ordered because the car was intened for rallying. Hey, what did I know? I have no idea what happened to the cars, although I heard some years later that the PF was bought by a young guy from "up Island" and was later converted to a V8. Who knows, it might just be a barn find for someone.

In 1974, Gran Touring Auto (as I think it was called) on 7th Ave in Vancouver had what they described as a 250GTF cabriolet, which I think is a Series II cabriolet. The asking price was $7,000 about a year's income for me at the time. I never actually looked at it, but saw it through the shop window a few times.

Sometime in the late 1970's, there was a 250PF in bright yellow in Vancouver. I recall it being pretty rough, with a lot of sealing goop around the windows. I don't know what year, but I recall that it had disc brakes. It kicked around various locations including one of Brian Jesel's early used car lots, long before he started Brian Jessel Ferrari (now FM of Vancouver).

And yet another 250 PF, red, was in Vancouver in the early 1990's. Don't know who owned it, but I saw it parked in a front driveway on Capilano Road, North Vancouver several times. I think the owner also had a DB4 or 5. Perhaps he's on Ferrari Chat.

Other old Ferrari that were around Vancouver in the 1970's-80's include: 275GTB (red), about four 330 2+2's (2 and 4 headlight versions), a few 250GTE's, three Lusso's, a Boano with a V8 conversion (inside plug motor was available), 330GTC (sitting soaked in a twoing storage compaound in North Vancouver). I saw most of these cars on the road or parked outside. Those owners whith whom I spoke were knowledgeable - barn finds unlikely! But you sure don;t see these great cars being driven on the road anymore. I remeber these cars and where I saw many of them because they were, and are, memorable cars.

I hope this might lead someone to a barn find.
    Cheers
    Jon

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Too bad Marcel won't post, this is one of those areas where a proper top notch historian like with volumes of records could provide definitive answers...

15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I think that the number of "significant" Ferrari's that are not known is very miniscule. Tom S. seems to negate that idea on a regular basis however. I do believe that there are quite a few of the productions cars yet to be found. I happend to find one myself in a barn in the high mountains of Montana, that hasn't been seen since 1964.

16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    All right! Let's hear the barn-find story!!

Regards,

Art S.

PS. I bought my car out of a barn in VT, but that's just because the vintage car shop was located in a barn...

17. Ed_Long

Ed_Long Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Salem, Oregon USA
    Full Name:
    Ed Long
    I found Cooper Monaco, s. n. 006 in a barn in Baltimore Maryland and bought it for $600. It had been raced on the east coast, driven or pushed onto a single axle trailer and abandoned for many years (probably 1966 to 1974). We bought it and towed it home where I was able to clean it up, rebuild the carburator, brakes, install a new battery, and get it to run. It had a Traco-built Buick aluminum 252 v8 and ran like the wind. It was replaced in our garage with our 250 PF coupe, sn 1747, in 1975 which we still own. So, please include 1747 as among the still-alive Ferraris. It is safely tucked away in our garage and thoughouly pampered.
    Ed

18. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    More than likely Martin M.'s car which he sold years ago.

Apparently, one is still kicking around

Was it silver? A silver 330 GTC that needed some minor TLC appeared - and sold - at one of Bob LeFluffy's "Autoclassic" auctions a few years back (1997) was originally from Ottawa, Ontario. S/N: 11235.

I'm still searching! ;)

19. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Peter et al

Yes, I think it was Martin's car. I know of Martin but I don't know him, so can't speak with any authority on your question. It was at Turin Motors (?) on Pemberton. I think it had been imported from Switzerland. I got to sit in it when I enquired about a burgundy / cream 330 2+2 (asking pirce $10K, but was told $7K would take it - alas I needed a "practical car") In the late 70's and early 80's one would see a variety of Ferrari parked outisde Turin Motors, left exposed to the elements. In addition to the 275 and 330 2+2, I recall a red Lusso parked outside the shop, including overnight. Yes, the 330 GTC was silver. I recall it had standing water insider the passenger compartment - looking very forlorn in the towing compound across from the ICBC claims center.

Good luck!
    Jon

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm in the process of writing the story. It's kinda long, but I will post it in a thread soon.

21. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Turin Motors was his garage, so that was his car.

I wrote in my notes from that auction, that the car looked good on the outside, but that the interior needed lots of work, so more than likely, that was the same car.

22. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Jurgen,

They are turned into fake GTOs and TRs.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. the color of the GTE is quite nice.

PPS. can someone copy the pictures from those two ebay listings into this thread so we can keep a record of them once the auction ends - thanks.

23. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    #24 Peter, Jan 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Photos of the two cars from those two eBay auctions (auction #'s in picture titles).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ