Underneath colors, paint, Chrome and zinc | FerrariChat

Underneath colors, paint, Chrome and zinc

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Andres_1979, Jul 7, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
  2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Always the Android users that never know how to crop pictures when screenshot. :)

3. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    While not exactly what you are looking for given you have a 400i, the 330 style guide that @SCantera has offered may be of some help or at least give you some idea of exactly what your questions should be for specific parts

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-330-gtc-as-built-configuration-and-judging-guidelines.518002/

This seems condescending and not at all helpful.

4. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I love the flush rear bumper (shown in the middle photo above) of the cars that stayed in Europe so much more than the extended versions we had to have in the US - so much cleaner and allows the tailpipe to extend past the bumper.

Anyone here converted the bumper back to stock using the US version?

5. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Hi thx a lot for the info
    I own a 400i and a 400gt. Im looking info for the 400gt

What I need are pictures of original 400gt showing brakes, suspention, exhaust lines and any detail of the underneath of the car to check original color, Chrome parts and yellow zinc parts

For example Rolling bar goes black, calipers goes yellow zinc..... so one

Regards

Andres

6. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    So what!

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Andres,

Although not directly applicable, but when I was researching these details on my 365 GT4 2+2 I found a number of finish variances between various cars including my own car. After researching all of the finishes, reviewing a lot of the same or very similar models (including the 400GT), reviewing other f-cars in period, contacted a number of f-car restoration experts, I concluded that there was not an official or consistent Ferrari finish standard across a particular model. I believe that Ferrari simply used whatever parts were on hand (some that were shared with other ferrari models), or at times purchased or acquired parts that provided the best price regardless of the finish. I have no proof of this, but it does make sense to me and would certainly explain the surface finish variability.

That said, my car was very original (only has 15000 km) and so I prioritized its original finishes (that I could determine) over finishes that others have done. I ensured to take a lot of very specific and detailed photographs to justify my decision in case it was challenged. I would suggest you do the same and in cases where your original finish is lost or has aged/faded, then create a detailed list of these parts and ask what others have done for these finishes. I mention a detailed list, as there are well over 100 different parts, fasteners, brackets, etc that all have specific finishes and so it would be a lot of effort for others to answer a global finish request like you have done.

Cheers,

Sam

8. Andres_1979

Andres_1979 Rookie

Oct 3, 2020
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Andres Kormis
    Hi Sam, thxs a lot for your reply, I will do that!!
    Regards
    Andres

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White

Only certain RIs extended the bumpers. In fact, most of them in the US retain their original European bumpers.