Understanding Ferrari's sticky interiors - a technical guide | FerrariChat

Understanding Ferrari's sticky interiors - a technical guide

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dave rocks, Apr 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hello Folks,

So, a lot of people ask us about the famous sticky coatings Ferrari used and still uses on interior components such as trim, bezels, switches, HVAC panels and such.

That said, please allow me to explain the OEM process and coatings used:

The coatings we are talking about are called "Soft Touch" coatings. These are designed to give a soft, velvet like feel. They are low gloss in sheen to help reduce glare in the car. These coatings can also be found on computer mice, TV / Stereo remote controls, etc.

While these coatings are typically black in appearance, the coatings themselves are not always black. The OEM's (note, Ferrari does not make these parts, they are made by sub-contractors) use both black soft touch and clear soft touch.

Black Soft Touch: This is typically used over parts such as bezels, steering column surrounds, shifter trim, etc. When this fails, you get the black mess all over your fingers.

Clear Soft Touch: This is typically used over parts with illuminated graphics. The parts are first painted with a white, then a mid-gloss black, the graphics are laser etched and then the clear soft touch is applied to lower the sheen (considerably) and add the velvet feel.

In some cases (such as the headlight controls and mirror controls of a 599) the soft touch is black in color and the graphics are laser etched right though the black soft touch.

Graphics: The OEM's used 2 types of graphics: Silk screen (or pad printing) and laser etching. In most cases (but not all) silk screen was used for non-illuminated graphics while laser etching was used for all illuminated graphics. However, some of the seat controls of a 599 that don't illuminate were still laser etched.

Removing the sticky soft touch: While I'm not going to give away all of our secrets here, if you have sticky parts and it's becoming a burden, you can use rubbing alcohol to remove the coating. Please do this with caution. Silk screen graphics will be gone once you do this and depending on what % of alcohol you use, the base paint may come off also.

Please note, for parts like HVAC panels, window switches with graphics (that have a clear soft touch), it is possible to clean the clear soft touch off without damaging the base black below. Note, while this looks decent, the resulting finish will be a much higher gloss.

At Sticky RX, we fully refinish parts by stripping them down, sanding (preparing the metal or plastic), re-coat with our durable, mar-resistant (hard touch) coating and then laser etch all graphics - even the ones that where silk screened. This restoration is much more durable and will outlive silk screen printing or stick on decals which we don't use.

Here is one of our laser etch videos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9OS3-0hBs[/ame]

Please feel free to look us up if you have parts in need of refinishing.

Thank you very much :)

ernie and RyanFoH like this.
  2. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    In particular if the clear soft touch coat is bubbling or rubbed through rather than sticky, it is quite easy to just peel this top coat off. I did this with my window switches of the 550. Thereby the borders were left as they were (being fine) and only the actual actuators were peeled, so that both surfaces are side by side. I found that the visual difference (gloss) is minimal only, the main difference being (naturally) the feel.

Some time earlier (years ago) I had sent the HVAC (which was bubbling after the Ferrari Dealer had left the car being in for service standing for days in the hot sun) to another (well known ;)) company. In what was returned apparently the top coat had as well just been peeled off and nothing else (that actually gave me the incentive to try that with the switches later). The visual appearance was indeed clearly more glossy and I assume this is/was due to whatever plastic cleaning solution used. Using a plastic cleaner for making a matt finish a few times got the visual appearance right again ;). The "hard plastic" feel remained, of course.

For making it perfectly authentic of course a clear soft touch coat would have to be applied again. This is (in my eyes) best left to professionals.

Cheers, Bernhard

3. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Not with our process as we use the proper low gloss coating and then those panels match the rest of the refinished interior as you can see in the video :)

4. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Great info, thanks for the post!

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    +1

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #8 Dave rocks, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you guys, much appreciated. :)

So, above I mentioned the clear vs black soft touch coatings. Here is the head light / mirror control from a Ferrari 599. This part has black soft touch coatings and the graphics are lasered right though the soft touch. There is no way to clean off these parts and preserve the graphics - when you clean off the black soft touch, all the graphics will be gone.

No other way to refinish these parts other than using laser etching just as the OEM did.

That is exactly how we did it. Take a look at the before and after photos.

Thanks guys :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Makuono likes this.
  9. Randy P.

Randy P. Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Randy P.
    #9 Randy P., May 4, 2016
    Hi Everyone,

This button, taken under magnification, is typical of the process Ferrari used for these backlit buttons, and it's a great example of why "clean only" can leave a lot to be desired. :(

As you can see, the center of the button has the clear soft touch removed from use. What's underneath is the base black OEM paint which is very shiny. You can really see how reflective it is in the second picture with the microscope lights on.

Unlike Dave's previous post, this buttons sticky coating CAN be removed without damaging the graphic (in most instances, if careful), but look at what you would be left with. We strip these parts down to the base plastic, apply our mar-resistant hard-touch coating, which has an excellent matte finish, then I use the laser to etch the graphic right back into the part. I can’t wait to share photos of this button once it's completed, stay tuned ;)

Best Regards, Randy

10. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Ok guys I'm in.
    Bits from my 575 on the way to you.
    Look forward to seeing how it all turns out!

11. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I used Easy Off oven cleaner as a kid to clean paint off model cars if the paint job didn't go well. I sprayed the parts with it and let them soak. The paint rinsed off easily thereafter leaving intact plastic.

Having nothing to loose on my 355 (prior to anyone offering refinishing services) I used the same technique to pull the defective finish from the interior parts. What was left was intact plastic with a very nice semi gloss finish secondary to the molded in texture. The printed graphics were gone. I didn't repaint anything, just put it back in the car. It looked great.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #12 Dave rocks, May 7, 2016
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't personally think the bare platic looks very good at all. Here is a photo of a 512TR door handle we received this week with a panel that has our coating for comparison.

13. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Dave, I agree that your work is perfect. I sold my car after driving a C6 Z06 on track and don't have anything with similar problems now.

This was long before there were people like yourself working making these cars look good again.

14. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Dave -

Here's one thing I don't understand about these sticky interiors; maybe you have some insight.

Why did Ferrari (and Maserati) keep using the same crappy finish on interiors for ~20 years? When did they realize this stuff turned to goop -- late 90s maybe? So why was it still being used on models as recent as the California?

Canut likes this.
  15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey Rick,

I can only speculate as I don't work for Ferrari. But, to your point, I believe they still use the stuff today, perhaps it's better? Time will tell.

We tested a soft touch out of Europe. It was very nice (I still have some sample material). I was promised all day long that it won't fail. But, I'm not ready to take the chance and I'm guessing my customers are not either.

16. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    The looks and feel are not worth the failure of the surface in a short amount of years. Really, what wrong with these automotive engineers?

17. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Great work.

What's your turnaround time?

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Sy :)

Turn around varies based on many factors such as shop backlog, size of the order, etc.

Please send me an email and we can discuss your specific needs :)

dave.lelonek@**********.com

Thank you and have a great day :cool:

19. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I used Greased Lightning to do my parts in place. It went well and I was surprised the HVAC panel buttons were marked and lit through the plastic. Only the dash vents were an issue with the markings being on top of the coating. After I had things down to bare plastic I could treat everything with armoral and I was happy with it. They even make a matte finish version. If you are going for a concorso show winner, you have to get them finished.

20. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hello Folks,

So here is a video we did to help illustrate the different types of soft touch coatings being used.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm5CT9IEVAA[/ame]

In the video we talk about the white of our refinished parts being brighter than OEM cleaned parts. However, we did not capture that well, but in person, the difference can be seen.

PS - sorry, I talk with my hands and should not do that in videos ;)

21. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Sticky Rx has been contracted to correct these issues for my 550 Barchetta....at least 90% of all interior bits that tend to "turn to goo". I live in the NE so we do not get the really hot weather that may hasten the demise of these parts & my car resides in the garage...yet after 15 yrs they have started to go.

I cannot say enough about how helpful Dave has been to this point....essentially walking my mechanic & myself thru the entire process. Parts have shipped and now "we will see" the finished product in a few weeks. I have reviewed his site, asked questions and feel confident that parts will be better than new. Let you know.....

Jack

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Folks - here is a video demonstration of our coatings chemical and mar resistance :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNpQ6mJXwZY&t=4s[/ame]

RyanFoH likes this.
  23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #23 Dave rocks, Aug 13, 2017
  24. RRRREDRVR

RRRREDRVR Karting

Jul 28, 2004
    Aptos CA
    Full Name:
    M Kitchen
    Can you post a photo or video of what your 355 Climate Control panel looks like after your process? Thx! Getting ready to do mine...FINALLY.

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We have photos of the Gen I on our website. We need to do some photos of the Gen II