Underwater Ferrari | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Underwater Ferrari

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bill_OBrien, Dec 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    WOW, JUST WOW!!!

so, the sunken ferrari not withstanding, and since it seems it is to remain a mystery.....

how about those other sunken cars Dr Spence? is there a good story there?

always love the underwater stuff!!!!

doug

2. BakonBittz

BakonBittz Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Dr. E. Lee Spence I would love for your dream to come true and within my lifetime be able to see the cars of this mystery ship. I was told of the story of the sunken ship by my grandfather while out on Lake Erie fishing. I always thought it was one of those too good to be true things, being 12 or so looking at the fishfinder knowing that no one was sure of the ships whereabouts, maybe it would just pop up! haha simpler times! :)

Doug, all I remember being told was a ship full of cars was lost on Lake Erie in a bad winter storm in the early 1920's full of cars. It was told to me no one really even knows where it went down at, or where to start looking. That I'm sure is one reason it draws Dr. Spence to the wreck, it's the ultimate mystery of the great lakes. Ship full of cars (even valuable back then I'm sure) goes down and no one even knows where to begin. I'm sure somebody like Dr. Spence has more leads on this than he will ever tell seeing as how he added this shipwreck on his own reply as a dream of his. I wish him the best of luck and think it would be the ultimate lake find seeing as how many people know of the wreck.

3. TooTall

TooTall Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Kurt O.
    I believe the wreck you are talking about is the steamer Lakeland that went down in Lake Michigan in 1924 with a load of cars and other goods. It's well known. Many shipwrecks in the Great Lakes are protected and nothing can be taken from them. Here's a video of the wreck that shows some of the cars.

http://www.oceantreasures.org/videos,wreck-of-the-lakeland-3672.html

Cheers,
    Kurt O.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    that was a great link, and a great website. thank you for sharing that.

5. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    I saw a documentary on the recovery of a bomber stuck in the Ice and after years of struggle they freed it only to have it burn on take-off! Sad ending.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  7. TooTall

TooTall Karting

Sep 15, 2006
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Kurt O.
    That's a great video. What a magical place. My neighbor has been to Kwajalein on business. I have read stories of abandoned Japanese airfields with planes still in the revetments in the late '50s. Apparently the government that controlled the area (it may have been Indonesia) would not let anyone in the area because they thought there was oil in the area. The latest hot spot for finding vintage warbirds is Russia. There are whole areas west of Moscow that were restricted military areas since WW2 that no one was allowed into. There are German and Russian aircraft scattered all over, some in decent condition. I was airplane nut before I was a car nut.

Kurt O.

8. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

velocetwo......

That would be the "Kee Bird" B-29 on Greenland......

9. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004
    Utterly fascinating, thanks for this. Amazing to see these birds underwater after half a century.

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
  11. Bill_OBrien

Bill_OBrien Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    #36 Bill_OBrien, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interesting....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38783159/ns/us_news/

WWII Helldiver raised from California reservoir

SAN DIEGO — A rare World War II dive bomber was lifted 90 feet from the bottom of a San Diego reservoir Friday and hoisted to dry land for the first time in 65 years.

The SB2C Helldiver aircraft was brought to the surface after days of work to free it from several feet of mud and debris on the dark floor of Lower Otay Reservoir, where it was spotted last year by two men using a fish finder.

Divers from A&T Recovery in Chicago said the tail of the plane was sticking out of the silt, but the engine was completely buried.

A crowd watched Friday as the mud-caked, single-engine plane, with both wings attached, broke through the surface of the water then officially touched shore at 3:50 p.m. PDT.

Its propellor was mangled, but splotches of blue showed through the corrosion and mud elsewhere on the aircraft.

The plane will now be dried out, disassembled and trucked to the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Fla., for restoration and display, said Taras Lyssenko, A&T general manager.

The Helldiver crashed when the engine failed during a training flight on May 28, 1945. Sgt. Joseph Metz and his pilot swam to shore and survived but have since died.

The plane was all but forgotten until Duane Johnson and a fishing buddy spotted the outline of a plane on the fish finder.

Only a few of the 5,100 Helldivers manufactured during World War II still exist. One of its nicknames was "The Beast" because it was so hard to handle.

"It wasn't a particularly good airplane," said Navy Capt. Ed Ellis of the Florida museum.

The aircraft had a tendency to crash. The first prototype crashed in February 1941. The second went down as it was pulling out of a dive.

A former volunteer at the aviation museum left money to cover the cost of the plane's extraction from the San Diego reservoir.

A&T Recovery said it will not even try to recover an aircraft if crew members died in the crash because the site is considered a grave.

[Moderator edit: added image]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Bill_OBrien

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Any update ???

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting article. My town's weekly paper just today has an article about a local fellow, now 90 years old, who will be giving a talk over Memorial Day weekend about his experiences as a Helldiver pilot in WWII that included sinking a Japanese light cruiser.

14. Bill_OBrien

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Any update ???? :)

15. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Interesting article in today's Wall St Journal about a recovery effort about to start on a Spitfire, crashed during WW2 in an Irish peat bog...challenging in it's own way, in that it's not a hard enough surface onto which you can drive an excavator, nor is it liquid enough to 'float' a barge...

Also have heard stories about a bunch of air cooled Chevies dumped into the Hudson in the 1930's off the Tarrytown GM Plant. Of course, at that point the Hudson is an estuary, so salt water and tidal flow have probably done for the cars.

Great thread.
    Kinda like the overhead grabber claws in the plexi cases at arcades...

16. Bill_OBrien

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Another year gone by.... care to share any details yet Bill ???

17. Bill_OBrien

Oct 28, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Bill O'Brien
    Been about 5 years now Bill. Time to tell the story?? : )

18. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Bill Noon has been banned, and I'm afraid he won't be finishing this story here.

Mike

19. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Can you link us a thread for the story of the banning.

20. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Second on wanting to know why Bill would be banned.

What a great thread! So sad that I just discovered it and it doesn't have an ending. Like picking up a tv series mid run and it being cancelled on a cliff hanger ending.

21. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
  22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    He was banned for repeatedly promoting his business here despite numerous warnings by Rob. Not only was Bill not a sponsor, he was not even a subscribed user.

By the way, you won't find any of the offending posts because they were deleted as spam.

23. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    El Wayne, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know the mods have a lot on their plates.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Now I know why I cannot find his posts on #6045!

Thought I was going mad.
    Pete

25. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    He received similiar warning on GWG (Gullwing Group) .......and toned it down.

Jack