Unfriendly Ferrari owners | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Unfriendly Ferrari owners

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by zff, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Jet-X ... I live near, and work in Newport Beach. You are correct, to a degree ... I, too, have run into a surprising number of arrogant owners, over the years, in this neck-of-the woods. I feel sorry for them ... can you imagine going through life pissed-off, and carrying such a big chip on your shoulder! Must manifest itself in other areas of life also!!!

I'll honk and wave if you ever run into me :-D

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Honk and wave...? i'd be pretty pissed if someone ran into me...

:)

3. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    Unfortunately I feel that many people purchace what ever car as a status symbol ,rather than a passion for driving .I also find that with my 512Tr, Race car and other toys,that my friends and others make a way bigger deal over them than I do , and most of them wouldnt know a disributor from a calliper. I have been a motor head for 25 years,I still have long hair , levis and ware a t shirt every day,not that I don,t have my share of Hugo Boss for travel and when needed.My point is that I feel blessed to be enjoing life as I do and that includes my enthusiasum for people and any car Ferrari,Lambo you name it if its cool I appreciate it. And If I dont have time for some one I don't need to be rude.For every A Hole there's a winner that dosnt live in his or her own Phony Ass world. I have to think of it as their loss not you'rs. I continue to instill in my children that if we lived in a raised ranch and drove a Honda, we would still be the same person minus things and trips. I feel that way, my teenagers are getting there, some people will never get it!

4. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    You know what's even worse than being snubbed by people like this? We own Ferrari's. What about the people that don't own Ferrari's (or other exotic/cool car)? Now they have a preconceived notion that Ferrari owners are jerks.

Pitty...

My initial comment isn't totally fair - FDC members, guys who show up at Crystal Cove, all have been great. Including the Porsche 959 owner, he's great. And (forgot his name), the 930 Turbo owner who came on our drive, he was fantastic (but he has Ferrari's too!) But if it's just driving on the road, the arrogance of some of these owners is sickening.

5. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Wildwarrior, your post sums up my attitude. Maybe that's what pisses most of these other guys off (or illicits the attitude) is a young guy who knows he's blessed daily, and drives his Ferrari wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, you'd be great, too if you owned a 959; someone could probably **** in that guy's food and he wouldn't care- he's got a 959...! :)

7. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Unfortunately, there are two kinds of guys who buy these cars:
    The first is the true car lover, who wants beautifull machinery and who wants to have a good time driving it and sharing experience with equally pationate people.

and then! there is the other kind,

The one with the small WeeWee who buys the car for reassuring himself that he is a real men! Who wants everybody, specially females to look at him like he is gods gift to the human race! never drives the car, could not care less about the machinery, unfriendly, snob etc.

Hopefully there are a lot more of the first kind!

My 2 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    Well there are 2 sides of the coin those who have preconceived
    bad notion about f-car owners and the ones that are enthusiasts.

Only one time I had a somehow bad experience when I tried to talk to a guy with a red TR at an auto-X and he ignored me. Some blind themselves so quick.

Although lots of friends ask me to bring the f-car down to the town and stuff I'm more into driving it and don't really care much about showing it off, always try to wave back to the thumbs up I get ... but then you hit the other crowd, one time a guy started talking to me at a gas pump and sarcastly said 'nice kit-car' I'm always easy going so I just played along and replied: 'Please don't tell anyone ... please!!!' he didn't know what to do ;-) ... found out that's the easy way to handle those cases and an ice-breaker if it was an enthusiats trying to talk about cars or an easy way to get rid of some of the nasty ones.

Cheers

9. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    First of all I'm a resident of Newport Beach and newer models from F-P-L-MB's are a dime a dozen here. For the locals most don't give them a second thought. I' don't subscribe to the theory that when I go get a tank of gas I have to rehash the same questions over and over -how much ,how fast blah blah blah. Geez it's only a car not one of the seven wonders of the world no matter what DES says.It should be obvious that it's relatively quick, and that it's somewhat costly. Why is it that you would normally not ask someone what they paid for most things but cars are fair game. The funny thing is you can say the car goes 200mph and most would believe you. If you are that curious about the car learn about it from Ferrari-Chat not from a stranger. Now if I was still single and a 18-25 year old blond blue eyed fitness model wanted to ask questions about the car I would find time for her. Actually that's my standard response when I don't want to help" Your not blond eighteen or female your problem mean nothing to me". Not everybody in this area is anti-social but most tend to be guarded and private. I look at any car that captures my attention but just like seeing a drop dead hard body woman at the beach but you don't make her uncomfortable by staring .

This is why my buddies and I tend to take the cars out late at night to drive the canyons like maniacs so we attract as little attention as possible.

WFO who judges others by the amount of canyon cheese in the inner fender and feathered edges on the tires ,if you ain't got them you ain't a driver.

10. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    but reading between the lines, this guy probably pulled over because something was wrong with the car, he was cursing Ferrari because this was the fifth time this month something either broke or didn't work right. He was calculating in his head how many thousands of dollars this latest problem was going to cost him. He got a TR in the first place because that darn 308 was nothing but one expensive headache after another. (Just playing devil's advocate, who knows? LOL)

Ben

11. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Ben, LOL

My 360 is in for yet another oil leak. How true. God I love the warranty . I have a few months to go before I sell mine before the warranty expires. I would hate like hell to spend my own cash other than the purchase price to keep this thing on the road.

12. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian

I don't subscribe to the theory that I have to be an ******* to someone who's curious even if I'm not in the mood.

All I've ever gotten is "nice car" or a simple thumbs up, etc. There is zero need to thumb your nose at someone, ignore them, etc. That's not being "guarded" or "private" that's being ******, period. If someone asked where you live or how much you make, that's one thing. But asking what a car cost, or even just complimenting you/your car and being rude is just being an *******.

I kinda wonder why you even participate on FChat if you're that outspoken about being anti-social. And that's what you describe in your post above. You obviously don't seem interested in participating in FChat events (at least the FDC drives), and the last few posts from you attempt to justify why you go on drives alone at night. No one is asking to see your W2's, what your SSN# is, or where you live. The whole point of FChat isn't to just talk about the cars, but the passion surrounding them (Rob, correct me if I'm wrong).

I respect that you drive your car, but your attitude is uncalled for.

13. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Ben, LOL

My 360 is in for yet another oil leak. How true. God I love the warranty . I have a few months to go before I sell mine before the warranty expires. I would hate like hell to spend my own cash other than the purchase price to keep this thing on the road.

This is exactly why I said Porsches are better cars overall, and you don't have to deal with the major service!

I understant than the next model the 380? will have a revised version of the Maserati motor with chain driven cams. no more major service! maybe

14. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    Prior to buying my first Ferrari I drove American Muscle, mostly Fords; 3 Boss 302's, 427 Galaxie, even a 63 Corvette roadster, a consistent barrage of thumbs up whenever I drove them. With the Ferraris the thumbs up are fewer but more exuberant. A friend of mine commented that Ferrari owners are percieved to be snobish, may be true I have not met many F car owners in person. The few I have met have been very courteous and outgoing.
    I personnaly make an extra effort to accomodate interest in the cars and have on numerous ocassions offered to let peolple sit in the cars, show them the engine, give rides if I am not in a hurry. This is always well recieved as these cars are extremely rare where I live. Odd but there is a preconcieved notion about these cars and the owners. I think we all need to remember that they are cars, those of us who have been fortunate enough to as Napolis put it "live our dreams" should help others to find thiers. What is going to happen to our hobby if all these youngs kids dream about are Escalades with 24" wheels!

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What i say should not be contingent on what another thinks; that goes both ways...
    Ironic, too, 'cause i really admire the fact that you drive your car the way it was meant to be driven...

16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Another idiot...

17. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    My self esteem is not so low that I need a stranger to give me reassurance about any car I drive. Why I log onto this forum is none of your damn business . We don't go on drives because most are held during daylight hours when you attract attention from the Popo. My buddies I drive with are lifelong friends who I know aren't going to brake 30 meters early and cause problems. That's why we drive at 2 or 3 in the morning so we can scare the hell out of ourselves within a trusted group. For the record I have gotten up early to attend Crystal Cove events and most of the cars I see have tires that look like they have never been sideways. These type of drivers have no interest for me . I will have to live with the fact that I won't be getting a Christmas card from you X.

18. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Des, I was just messing with you. My point with the statement is that they are still just cars nothing more nothing less .Are you still a biker ? Have a great Christmas.

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have been around Ferrari and exotics for quite some time...most people are good folks but there are looses everywhere. I think that it is the dumbing down of the schools or something along those lines.

As an FCA regional director I was always trying to get our group out to th track...the terror and horror on their faces at he thought of actually getting away from front row parking at a restaurant and actually enjoying the car in a manner that it is supposed to be almost caused coronaries!

I came up to an F40 owner who was new to the club who was attending an event for the first time to great him and enthuse about F40's (as I had one for several years) and when he saw that I was driving a lowly 348...he just ignored me. I just figured that he was an abused child or something and moved on. Amazing....we can be snobs to our own as well as everone else. They are just cars...we are just people....we all put our pants (or skirts!) on the same way.....we should just have fun!!!!

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    One night I was horrified to see a topless F50 sitting in the rain at the highrise next door. Bear in mind, this was in front of 5-6 valets. An hour later, I went out there WITH MY 550 car cover, out of respect for the car not the owner, and approached it. The valets THEN called the owner (or his idiot son) who came out and started to get irate WITH ME for being near his car!

All I could do was shake my head in disgust! The valets then tried, in vain, to put the carbon cover on...WHILE STILL OUTSIDE! I asked the idiot why he did do this under cover and he then turned his ire toward the valets and threatened to get them all fired.

As for this guy......seems a little "GREEN-esque" to me

DL

21. grantb

grantb Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Columbia SC
    Full Name:
    Danny Burnstein
    Regarding the pecking order of fcars, as well as the entire hobby...
    I feel there is no wrong answer, just different answers to the same question. We humans usuallly need to feel a part of some group, which, by having us as a member, is of course, far superior to the other groups.
    If someone has the passion for automobiles, great, we can't all afford
    Enzos. or Dueseburgs. That shouldn't lessen our enthusiasm for someone
    else's pride and joy. This is supposed to be FUN.
    By the way, I have a buddy, who when some jerk is trying to one up him
    (he has Bentleys, and big 50's&60's American convertibles)
    says "Lovely car, my maid has one just like it) Too bad he doesn't have a maid.
    Over the years I have been approached about how much my car cost,
    I don't feel that I need to divulge this. True enthusiasts already know,
    but I am always polite. I even invited some neighbour's kids over to see my cars.Hard for a 19 year old to grasp a 1950 Jaguar. But it is always nice to bring in new recruits

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I have been lucky enough to own several nice cars over the years. I have driven them many miles. I have met lots of "car guys" (and Women). I have been to local car shows and I've been to Pebble Beach.
    I have never met a true car guy who is an as shole.
    There are two kinds of people. Those that hang art on their wall because they love looking at it and those who would rather frame their cancled check.

23. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I have a 355 Spider and I always attract a crowd in town. I am more than happy to answer questions and chat with anyone, especially the kids because they remind me of the fascination I had with cars when I was young. A moment of our time can really make their day. It does surprise me though when a total stranger (and an adult) pipes up with "how much did you pay?". I would never dream of asking anyone that question and I'm not comfortable answering it.

24. mr2speedracer

mr2speedracer Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #49 mr2speedracer, Nov 28, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i am happy to say that i have have been lucky-

the owner saw me taking photos and asked if i wanted to sit in the car. i was like YA this was the first time i have ever sat in a ferrari, so he went and got his keys and opend it up and even asked if i wanted him to take a pic of me in it:) i will not forget this

the other time was when i say a yellow 355 i truned on the next road and got next to him at a red light because he saw me looking at the car so he hung back. he was really cool and just talked a little then the lighht truned green and we started to drive off so and some girl and a focus honked at him he said bye and drove off:)

i have never had a owner say anything to me about taking pics but other people always look at me like im crazy. o well
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Is this absent from MBworld.org ?