Unfriendly Ferrari owners | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Unfriendly Ferrari owners

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by zff, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Speedracer, that's awesome... It's always nice to hear good stories... i've had overwhelmingly good experiences from owners... Unbelievable stuff... i'm truly blessed... :)

2. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Norm: gas stations too! :D

--Dan

3. Ferrari

Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    D I T T O.

(Friend's M3 tire after a half a day at Buttonwillow . . .)

4. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    About 6 years ago I bought my first Ferrari. The annual FNA event was in Toronto so I combined a trip to Harley's 90th party and this event. I rode my Harley from Nashville to Toronto and stayed at the host hotel. I think I did register. In any event I parked my bike in the area with the Ferraris so it wouldn't be stolen and in the area for FNA members. A guy in a white TR walked across the parking lot and asked me to move my bike because it might roll into his car. I was 45 feet away. I asked if he was serious and he told me he parks his car in a garage with nothing at all in it because accidents happen. What a twit. I have owned motorcycles since 1969 and right now I have 3 parked next to my 360. No scratches yet. The guy was totally anal and a jerk. I did move the motorclcle and asked if anybody was upset about the bike deal before I leaft it Parked in the lot.

5. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Just yesterday afternoon I was at a party. A friend came up to me that I hadn't seen in 2.5 years and asked if I would do him a favor. He looked so serious I thought he was going to ask for one of my kidneys . Instead he said that he had never riden in a Ferrari and could I please give him a ride because he didn't think he would ever be this close to one again. I said "Sure" but since it was raining and I didn't want to be away from the party too long , I couldn't guarantee he'd be impressed.

Well, we spent about 10 minutes going up and down my friend's street . I think we hit 45 mph. Richard was thrilled. All he kept saying was "Wow, oh my God !". Afterward, he couldn't thank me enough. You'd think I just took him on a hot lap of Lime Rock.

Since I drive it every day I sometimes forget what a thrill it is for most people to even SEE a Ferrari, let alone ride in one.

An employee of Ferrari said something profound to me a few months ago. It was something to the effect that most people envied him in his position. After all, he got to drive Ferraris all day long. But he took me on the side and said , " You know, it does get tiresome , at times, selling dick-extenders to dickheads. "

That should be on a t-shirt. :)

Tom

6. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Well put James - that is so true. I also think that if one is lucky enough to own a Ferrari or expensive art and its because you are passionate about either - then it is a pleasure to share that passion with other people. In fact, that's why most of us are here on F-chat - a common passion for the marque.

I guess one can also be passionate about the marque without wanting to have their privacy interrupted (read WFO's post). Maybe that's passion in solitude. So even if someone like DES approached that kind of person at a gas station, the individual would prefer not to engage in a discussion. Thats OK too - just be polite about it.

If someone is more interested in the cost of the car or a painting or how much you make, then they are not interested for any of the right reasons.

7. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The people that will keep buying them will be true enthusiasts that will have a better chance of maintaining them for the next generation.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well I have been rude a couple of times, but with reason. The first time was right after I got my 348. I went over to see a neighborhood friend and show him the car. We both liked Ferrari's, and would talk about who was gonna get theirs before the other one did. Anyway after lunch he makes a comment something to the order of "It looks like a Fiero, junk it, it's not even a new one." That was when I told him "Junk it? What do you mean junk it? As for new one, were is yours smart ass? Don't talk till you have one, if you ever get one." As his sister told me, "he must have been pea green with envy".

The other time was with one of the neighborhood kids. I am always friendly with the kids, let them sit in the car, answer their questions, just be nice to them. One day I was working on the center consol, and had the door wide open. Well one of the kids was in my garage asking the typical question, no problem. He is sitting on his bike and starts leaning on the car. I ask him not to do that. He takes his hand off for a few seconds then starts leaning on the open door. " Please don't lean on the door". Takes his hand off for a few seconds, then back on the door, supporting his whole weight and that of the bike on the open door. Again I ask him, being a little stern this time "PLEASE...... DO NOT lean on the door." Take his hand off then, you guessed it puts it back on. That is when I lost it "HEY!!!!!!! I ASKED YOU NOT TO LEAN ON THE DOOR. ARE YOU DEF? UNLESS YOUR DAD HAS $6,000 TO BUY ME A NEW DOOR I SUGGEST YOU STOP LEANING ON IT! MATTER OF FACT GET OUT OF MY GARAGE! GO ON BEAT IT!"

Those are the only times I can remember having been an ass about the car.

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Well, I assume you don't mind if most of the world will think you're an @$$hole who doesn't deserve the car. I've heard the same dribble out of some @$$hole celebrities as well... like people who are approached a lot aren't going to get the same basic set of questions. Sheesh... like the 200th person can come up with a question not asked in the prior 600-800 questions.

Not liking it is one thing... but treating others ugly because of it is not okay. Sure, I get tired of people slowly passing me and unpassing and then again on the other side... its annoying and not particularly safe... and I get a lot of the same questions... I thought about getting a license plate that says "187 MPH" so that maybe I'd get the top-speed question a few less times... ;)

But I am nice to everyone of them! I smile, wave, and answer the questions as best I can... they have done nothing wrong by being excited by a Ferrari... in fact, that is something very right!

If you don't like the attention the Ferrari brings you, get a different car... better to have a boring car, than to have your car turn you into an @$$hole.

10. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    As a 360 owner and soon-to-be Stradale owner, let me say... BS!!

You should NOT understand when a 360 owner... or even an Enzo owner... looks down his nose at you in your Mondial. Just because he spent more $$ on his Ferrari, does that make him more passionate about Ferraris? Does it make him a better driver? Does it make him a better person?

Besides, someone who could afford a 360 might just prefer to spend less and own a Mondial. Or in my case, I considered getting a 246GT instead.

That reminds me when my company went public... some friends were hopping into my M3, and one asked "when are you going to get a 7?" as if that would be an upgrade. I responded that I would never want a car that heavy... the M3's the best BMW made. He looked at me like I was insane.

Some of my friends at that same company could afford a 360, but their sense of "value" would never let them buy one. They are not Ferrari nuts, obviously... but I am not going to look down my nose at any one of them... even if I'm not fond of their car choices. ;)

11. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Well said Brian. Common courtesy shouldnt be a problem! Everyone should exhibit it at all times. I cant tell you how many questions I get about my Bass...People asking how old it is, how much it was, where it was made, blah blah. They get redundant but if people show an interest in it, why take that away from them? I love to teach people about my instrument, and when I get a Ferrari, I will do the same thing!

That, and unfriendly enouncters stick with you forever. I remember once in Texas when I was about 5 years old we saw a Ferrari at a gas station. My mom walks me over to look at the car and after we spot the owner we introduce ourselves and I say how much I love Ferraris. The owner never gave us the time of day. It really disturbed me even at that age...

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Brian's spot on... When i met James Glickenhaus, he was wearing some run of the mill, faded baseball cap... i don't think anyone with a hand made, Italian leathered fedora is looking down on him...

A man, does not a car make.

13. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've always had good experiences with Ferrari owners...any exotic owner for that matter. From talking to the guy with the 550 at the gas station, to the 333SP driver at a Road Atlanta track day, most have been car nuts, and all have loved their cars.

At the last Italian car day here in Georgia, everyone was so nice, especially to my kids. We were looking at an Ermini racer (I think, Alfa-based) when the owner asks my son if he wants to sit in it. You should have seen his smile! Oh wait, you can. :)

Mark

14. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    I don't think owning a Ferrari makes you an as*hole or a gentleman. You truly are an as*hole, or you're a gentleman.

15. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    OK I obviously don't understand the simple image posting thing. My picture is 532x476 jpg, and only 92k. One more try.

16. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I figured it out. :) Ok last pic, not a Ferrari but when we were standing next to the Mangusta (one of my all-time favorite designs) I was describing to my son how the unusual engine cover opens and he says "No way!" To my suprise, the owner was standing right there and heard him, says "Yeah way!" and then opens her up. He was very nice, letting my kids look all around.

Definitely always had good experiences with exotic owners.

17. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Fortunately, the "bad" exotic car owners generally avoid car shows, concours, rallies, and track events. Thus, you only run into them on the chance meeting... at a gas station or party or restaurant or whatever.

18. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Life is to short. Don't let the a--holes of the world mess with your day. It is their problem, not yours. We just happened to be at the wrong place, at the wrong time and got some of their crap. Don't let them have that much power over you. They are not worth the time and effort. Just let it go, like water off a ducks back.

19. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    It's amazing that people would spend $200k on a brand new Ferrari and neither appreciate it themselves nor become enthused by others' appreciation of it. Silly.

In my limited experience of exotic ownership, the one thing above all that has really surpassed all my expectations has been the pleasure I've had in sharing my enjoyment with others. Imagine the thrill when, at a local owners club meeting, I watched a young guy proudly taking a picture of his girlfriend - standing beside my car.

Fifteen years ago, I was doing exactly the same thing (although admittedly with a different girl..).

Going further back, I still remember the thrill - among many examples - of being allowed to sit in a Countach at an owners' club meeting - and of finding out that somebody in our neighbourhood had a Lambo Silhouette. I was round there with my camera (unannounced) quicker than you could say 'Ferruccio, we're broke again' - and the owner & his wife were really nice about it.

Living in England, I find the only frustration is that people will sometimes look at your car but not ask about it (we're generally quite reserved about that kind of thing I think). Still, I guess I did the same when I was younger, so it was usually my dad who asked on my behalf. Thanks goodness he did - Imagine what I would have missed...!

Anyway, this lack of appreciation / enthusiasm for nice things isn't confined to cars unfortunately: yesterday, my wife (yes - the girl in the pictures from 15 years ago) told me that her sister had inherited a piano from a friend.

Her first question was 'it's called a Steinway. Is that a good make...?'

John

20. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Ernie, your rudeness is justifiable given the circumstances.

21. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Thanks Jet-X, I kinda felt that it was.

I do remember running into one guy that was rather rude. I saw this guy in a white 328. I pulled up next to him at the light and said, " Nice car. I have a 348 at home. Are you from around here?" He just gave short one word answers, then sped off when the light turned green. Other than that one time I have had very good experiances with other Ferrari and exotic owners.

22. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Ferraris evoke many different kinds of emotions and for those of us lucky enough to own them, those feelings evolve over time. My first Ferrari was a Testarossa and I really thought I was something special. As the years went by and my good fortune continued I was able to indulge what is really a lifelong passion for beautiful cars of all kinds.

I love cars, I love Ferraris and I really understand what it means to want one desperately. The first Ferrari I ever saw up close was not even a Ferrari. It was a 246 GTS and I was smitten.
    The owner was kind enough to let me sit in it and I appreciated it more than he could ever imagine. Today I am very willing to allow kids to crawl all over my cars and I'll answer just about any car related question for anyone. It's the price of owning beautiful and desired objects and its a wonderful way to allow people to enter a world that most times is off limits to them.

23. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    This is exactly why I am the same way.

When I got smitten with exotic cars (Ferrari's to be exact), I went to a Concours show in Huntington Beach. There was an 88 1/2 Lamborghini Countach. I asked who owned the car, and walked up to him and this is what ensued:

me - "I would do anything, anything...(before I could finish)"
    owner - nodding his head no
    me - "...anything for a ride in your car"
    owner - still nodding his head no. "No problem - meet me here after the show at 4pm"

I sat next to that car for 2 hours and didn't budge. I was 17 at the time, and he gave me a ride around the block. So memorable, so loud, so inspiring.

A few months later while working at what is now CompUSA, someone drove a 308GTS to the store just before closing. Found the owner, asked for a ride, and he gave it to me. Another shot of a luck, some guy with his wife was wearing a Ferrari jacket at CompUSA, and I asked if he owned a Ferrari:

me - "Do you own a Ferrari"
    him - "not exactly..."
    wife - "tell him what you do (all giddy)"
    him - "I work at Ferrari North America's west coast distribution center"
    me - "In Cypress?"
    him - "yes, you know where that is?"
    me - "Yes, I live there!"
    wife - "give him a tour honey!"
    him - "Come by (date and time)"
    me - "you got it"

And I got a tour of the facility. Got to see the cars get prepped before delivery. Saw a Testarossa on a dyno (amazing), got to see a 328 getting it's engine worked on. I even went dumpster diving one night (you never know), found nothing. But it was a way cool experience.

I was lucky, I asked rarely and was never turned down. Now I return the favor, I allow anyone to sit in my car, talk about it, look at it, etc. and I'll give rides pending I have time or am not supposed to be somewhere. It gives hope to would be owners who someday could and will be owners.

24. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Jet,

That is fantastic! It is great to hear stories like yours. Keep up the good work.

25. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott

To begin with, there just aren't any other visible Ferraris in the area of Dallas (East) that I live in (Once a guy in a 308 honked and waved and it really made my day until I talked to the owner of the shop I take it to and he said it was him test driving the 308 he had just fixed). My car does attract a lot more attention than I thought it would, overwhelmingly positive, and I get asked the $$ question from time to time. My usual response is a terse "more than I want to think about" and that always ends the line of questioning. If its another car type guy (they usually don't ask the question) I tell them "about the same price as a loaded BMW 330Ci" and then I guess they either think I'm a complete idiot, or say they thought old v12 Ferraris started at 100.