Universal Autosports Charged for Spying on Ferrari-Selling Rival | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Universal Autosports Charged for Spying on Ferrari-Selling Rival

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by henryr, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ditto.

2. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    I see people get hung in public debate and forums so frequently that the actual outcome of the trial or litigation doesn't....even.... matter.

It's a product of the times, I suppose. Good luck to all involved, may the truth prevail.

3. HolyRoller

HolyRoller Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    SE NC
    Full Name:
    Captain Slow
    Two words for you:

Helio Castroneves.

Sure the Useless Attorney, I mean U.S. Attorney, gets convictions or guilty pleas on MOST cases, but not all, and you never know which it is until it's over. An indictment is only an accusation, a traffic ticket if you will. I can only call 'em as I see 'em, and the guys at UA have been nothing but good to me. For my money, there no cause to think they'd be pulling this kind of mess, unless and until I see evidence otherwise. I'm not going to believe this until trial or plea.

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't know any of the particulars of the case but I do know that reputations can be ruined by baseless speculation.
    Have faith in the Judicial System and wait until someone is proven guilty.

5. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I've long wondered why they were emailing me as well. Their first spam to my account was Wed 6/11/08 5:55 PM. Thankfully, they never did a more in depth search and don't email my business account.

6. LennyZeutzius

LennyZeutzius Karting
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2004
    Palmdale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lenny
    O.J. Simpson = tried, and got off scott free

Dennis Kozlowski = tried first time, hung jury, tried second time, finally they got him (one of the jurors was a old lady nut job)

Menendez bros = tried first time, hung jury, tried second time, finally they got them

Martha Stewart = could not get her on one thing, so they got her on something else

The list goes on and on and on.

They were ALL guilty, but tried to lie their way out of it. It's difficult to prove.... although they were ALL criminal.

I'm sure in this case, they will try and lie their way out too. They'll be making statements like "oh, it was somebody else's fingers on the keyboard" "Oh, we didn't know we were in FoLI server ... gee .... how did that happen" "It wasn't us your honor..... it was some guy who USED to work for us ..... but we can't find him now .... we fired him though " "Oh, someone must have broke in in the middle of the night and done it .... yeah .... that's it" "Oh it was my MySpace account acting up ..... had to have been"

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Universal Autosports is open for business. They will say something when they can.

8. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    A different point of view:
    I dont know Universal Autosports nor could I care less about them, however before everyone gets too crazy about this remember that they allegedly took some email adddresses from some other company-BIG FREAKIN DEAL- I dont see how this reflects on them as far as the service they provide to their customers. Yes they may be a little too agressive in trying to get customers-who isn't these days. I think the govenment has bigger fish to fry than this but that is an issue for another thread.

9. Cool1g

Cool1g Karting

Aug 7, 2006
    Hollyweird, CA
    i would say being charged with corporate espionage IS a big deal.

10. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #35 JAYF, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
    Corporate espionage-thats a little extreme. They didn't exactly steal the secret receipe to coca-cola or KFC, they allegedly took some email addresses-BFD

11. Cool1g

Cool1g Karting

Aug 7, 2006
    Hollyweird, CA
    you didn't read closely what they did, did you?

they tapped into the other dealers' email system and read their emails and then attempted on at least 1 occasion to steal the other dealers client (the Enzo deal). Obviously they were looking to steal clients by reading the other company's emails.

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Huge deal. Felony deal. To me, it goes to to character.

13. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I read it closely and my point still stands-it has nothing to do with how they treat/handle their customers and quite frankly shouldnt be out in open discussion until they are convicted in my opinion.

14. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wow very surprising, they always came across as VERY professional.

Hope this isn't true!

15. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    WOW!! Shocking news.. I talked to them on the phone awhile back about doing some sticky parts for some of there customers. They were very nice and pleasant to speak too......

16. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    One thing that confuses me - articles says they are a Bentley/ AM dealer. They have 1 pre-owned Bentley and 1 AM for sale. No mention of being an AM/Bentley dealer.

Also none of the names on the article match up to the biographies on the website.

I doubt it's two different Universal Autosports. But I assume the article is incorrect about them being an AM/Bentley dealer?

17. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The United States legal system is based on the Latin legal principle that "ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat" (the burden of proof rests on who asserts, not on who denies,) i.e. "Innocent until proven guilty."

18. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    We've been getting along of late, so I hate to be the one to bring this up, but doesn't Carbon, NNO, work there...?

19. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Yes he does.

20. Alex@WCD

Alex@WCD Rookie

Dec 2, 2008
    While NNO has been active on the board since the story broke, I highly doubt he can comment on the case.

21. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    As far as I'm aware, he works as a private contractor and supplies Universal and another dealer written material for their websites.

22. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    #47 wetpet, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
    Don't know much about universal. But they seem to have juice on this site. In a case like this, f-chatters are usually all over the perp. Everyone on this thread is like "innocent until proven guilty". Interesting.

being charged with a felony and thrown in jail seems pretty bad to me. I know if it happened to me, strangelove would be ripping me to pieces :).

23. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    It has everything to do with how they treat their customers, if one is to believe they would commit a felony to get those customers.

To the point of not discussing it, one of the most fundamental aspects of our legal system, besides innocent until proven guilty, is that all this stuff is public. "Not talking about it" is unachievable and unwarranted, IMO.

24. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

I am a little busy currently trying to save 'fchatary from the evil clutches of OTC stock scammers. But I'll get to you later.

;)

25. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    "Being charge with a felony" is the start of the legal process, at which point the individual(s) is/are considered innocent until proven guilty.

"Thrown in jail" typically follow a conviction, which is when the people in question have been determined to be guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt.

The reason "everyone on this thread is like 'innocent until proven guilty'" is because most of us are American, and this is how our legal system functions.

:)