Unobtainium Supplies: Unscratchable Lever Labels | FerrariChat

Unobtainium Supplies: Unscratchable Lever Labels

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Verell, May 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #1 Verell, May 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am finally able to announce Unscratchable Labels to go with the OEM & my Unbreakable Lever Bezels!!!

As many of you who've been watching the Unbreakable Lever Bezel thread know, I've been trying to find a satisfactory source of exact reproduction labels for the levers used on the 246/308/328/512/400, etc.:

See this thread: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97840

I just picked up the first production run of lables for the Injected cars(see attached picture) today. The Injected Cars label set consists of 2 Vent labels and 2 Temperature labels as shown below. These are the correct labels for the 308 QV & 308 GTSi/GTBi. I believe they are also correct for the 512 BBi, 400i, & 412 but do not have access to these models to verify this.

I will have sets for the Carb'd cars, 246 Dinos & others in 2-3 weeks!

As soon as I have the other labels, I'll post pictures of the label sets for the Carb'd cars & 246 Dinos.

One of my goals was to provide labels with markings that, unlike the OEM labels, would not wear off with normal use.

Unlike most labels that have the color & letters printed or silk screened on, these colors are photo etched & embedded into the label's anodized surface!!

The labels are called 'unscratchable' because the only way you can scrape the color or lettering off is to gouge into the aluminum. This is because the colors, lettering & Icons on these labels are sealed under a layer of clear synthetic sapphire!!!

Also, I like the name because 'Unscratchable Labels' sounds great with 'Unbreakable Lever Bezels!!! :)

The labels do have a clear overcoat that can be worn off. However, it's easily restorable. If you scrape or wear the clear coat, you can restore it by polishing the surface smooth with pumice & if necessary, re-spraying the label with semi-gloss clear.

That's right, I said polish with pumice!!!

Even something as abrasive as pumice or steel wool won't scratch the colors & lettering on these labels!

The labels are 0.5mm/0.020" Aluminum sheet just like the OEM labels, and have a peel & stick adhesive backing. Just make sure you position the label where you want it because this adhesive is strong!!

When developing the labels, I found a wide variation in the OEM label reds, blues & even the background. Often there was noticable variation between labels on the same car! As a result, these labels are only sold as sets to ensure that your cars labels are all perfectly color matched.

----------------------------
    Ordering Info:

Unscratchable Labels Set price: $98.60 = $87.70/each 4 label set + $11.90 S&I within the USA & APOs.

Send eMAIL with the address & a phone #(required by the international shippingn quote software) for international shipping quotes.

You can send: PayPal, MO, business or personal check. Heck, I'll even take cash if you can get it to me safely!

I MUST HAVE A PHONE# as the shipping companies require it these days for insured packages. Also, a phone # is mandatory for all internationsl shipments, even to Canada.

To place your order please send eMAIL with your shipping address & Phone#:

TO: [email protected]

SUBJ: ORDER: Qty 1 Unscratchable Labels Set, Injected Cars
    (or Carb'd cars, or Older Cars).

If you want to pay via PayPal, I'll respond with a PayPal invoice for easy 1 click payment.

If you're paying with something other than PayPal, please tell me how the paymen'ts coming & I'll respond with Unobtainium's snail mail address. Also, I'll trust your eMAIL saying your payment is coming snail mail and will log your order.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've been waiting for this. As soon as I get my car back, I'll order.

Etip

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Once again I need to get in synch with your thoughts Verell. I bought new levers and some of the labels when I redid my interior. Then you came out with the levers, and now this!! Once again you've come up with a better solution after I'm done! I said it before but I'll say it again. Next time I start any project on my car I'm contacting you to see if you are planning on making what I need in the near future........ FIRST!!

Looks like another great product by the way!!! :) :)

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Minor high-jack.....How's the twin coming along?? Mine's back on the road....again!!!

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'm in.

I'll send an email as well. Mine look horrible and although the car probably won’t actually run for another year at least it will look good when I sit in it in the garage and pretend drive :)

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #6 Verell, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
    Mark, you've got eMAIL...

Jdubbya, tnx for the compliment. & don't forget to ask first next time. ;)

7. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Verell,

For some reason I never got your email. Please resend.

Mark

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #8 Verell, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
    mwr4440,
    Sorry, forgot there were 2 Marks! Your invoice is on it's way.

mk e,
    You're the one who got eMAIL.

9. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hi Verell,

I really only need one lable, I salvaged 3 while doing the installation of the unbrakeables but the bezels looked so good that i figured that i should do the right thing and install new lables too.

Not to be a pest, but how are the knobs coming?? Can I pay in advance to help fund the effort, (and maybe get a sweet deal) :)

I would say, "thanks for all of you fine efforts" but it should probably read, "Thanks for doing all of the leg/brain work and making available a fine unobtainable piece for our old cars".

thanks,
    chris

10. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    want to buy a full set when you have them ........... cheers rizzo

11. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Verell,

You are paid :)

Thanx as Always!!!!

Mark

P.S. Do you need my door mirror endcaps to make new molds? They are REPOs I got from you awhile back.

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #12 Verell, May 29, 2008
    Last edited: May 29, 2008
    Hello Mark,
    Thanks. Was looking for some caps with the mounting tabs in mint condition. There was some wear on the cap tabs I used to make the mold your parts are from. - always trying to improve the product.

Tnx for the payment. Will help finance the Carbd & Older car labels! ;)

13. TSP 11

TSP 11 Rookie

Apr 11, 2008
    Dorset,England
    Full Name:
    Thomas Stephen Pike
    Hello Verell,
    I'm relatively new to this site but have been following your progress on the Ferrari control levers, could you tell me how to place a definite order for my 1977 fibreglass 308 as when I tried to contact you previously nothing registered.I have a PayPal account so transferring money should present no trouble as I presume paying in advance does help in financing the manufacture of these items.
    Hopefully this email will get to you, Kind regards, Tom

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #14 Verell, May 30, 2008
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
    Tom,
    I've sent you 2 eMAIL responses. Unfortunately the one I sent yesterday was telling you that I'm sold out of lever bezels.
    If you didn't receive them, I must have the wrong eMAIL address, pls PM me with the correct one.

Certainly paying in advance does indeed help. :D

You've got eMAIL. Injected labels started shipping this week.

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Just received a phone call from the label mfg. They finished the labels, will ship to me this PM. I should receive them Thursday, Friday at latest. Will post pix when they arrive.

Updatingly,
    Verell

16. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Hi verell,
    My labels delivered today...... they are awesome very fine job ...... thanks mate!!

17. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #17 Verell, Jun 11, 2008
    I am finally able to announce Unscratchable Labels for the Carb'd cars (1st picture) & Older Cars (2nd Picture). See to go with the OEM & my Unbreakable Lever Bezels!!!
    I just received the first production run of lables for these sets today. 1st orders will go out tomorrow!

The Carb'd cars label set (1st picture) consists of:
    2 Vent labels
    1 Temperature label, w/red & blue dots & bars, &
    1 choke label as shown in the 1st picture. These are the correct labels for the Carb'd 308 & most likely other models.

The Older Cars label set (2nd picture) consists of:
    2 Vent labels
    1 Temperature label w/just red & blue dots, &
    1 choke label as shown in the 2n3st picture. These are the correct labels for the 308GT4 & 246 Dino.

One of my goals was to provide labels with markings that, unlike the OEM labels, would not wear off with normal use.

Unlike most labels that have the color & letters printed or silk screened on, these colors are photo etched & embedded into the label's anodized surface!!

The labels are called 'unscratchable' because the only way you can scrape the color or lettering off is to gouge into the aluminum. This is because the colors, lettering & Icons on these labels are sealed under a layer of clear synthetic sapphire!!!

Also, I like the name because 'Unscratchable Labels' sounds great with 'Unbreakable Lever Bezels!!! :)

The labels do have a clear overcoat that can be worn off. However, it's easily restorable. If you scrape or wear the clear coat, you can restore it by polishing the surface smooth & if necessary, re-spraying the label with a semi-gloss clear.

That's right, I said polish with pumice!!!

Even something as abrasive as pumice or steel wool won't scratch the colors & lettering on these labels!

The labels are 0.5mm/0.020" Aluminum sheet just like the OEM labels, and have a peel & stick adhesive backing. Just make sure you position the label where you want it because this adhesive is strong!!

When developing the labels, I found a wide variation in the OEM label reds, blues & even the background. Often there was noticable variation between labels on the same car! As a result, these labels are only sold as sets to ensure that your cars labels are all perfectly color matched.

Ordering Info:

Unscratchable Labels Set price: $98.60 = $87.70/each 4 label set + $11.90 S&I within the USA & APOs.
    S&I to Canada is $21.89.

Send eMAIL with the address & a phone #(required by the international shippingn quote software) for international shipping quotes.

You can send: PayPal, MO, business or personal check. Heck, I'll even take cash if you can get it to me safely!

I MUST HAVE A PHONE# as the shipping companies require it these days for insured packages. Also, a phone # is mandatory for all internationsl shipments, even to Canada.

SUBJ: ORDER: Qty 1 Unscratchable Labels Set, Carb'd Cars (or Older Cars whichever you're ordering).

If you want to pay via PayPal, I'll respond with a PayPal invoice for easy 1 click payment.

If you're paying with something other than PayPal, please tell me how the paymen'ts coming & I'll respond with Unobtainium's snail mail address. Also, I'll trust your eMAIL saying your payment is coming snail mail and will log your order.

18. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #18 Verell, Jun 12, 2008
    The Injected 12 Cyl Cars labels set (see picture) consists of:
    2 Vent labels
    1 Temperature label w/red & blue dots & bars

These are the correct labels for the 512 BBi, 400i, & others.

The labels are 0.5mm/0.020" Aluminum sheet just like the OEM labels, and have a peel & stick adhesive backing.

Ordering Info:

Unscratchable Labels Set price: $77.68 = $65.78/3 label set + $11.90 S&I within the USA & APOs.
    S&I to Canada is $21.89.

For an international shipping quote: Send eMAIL with the address & a phone #(required by the international shipping quote software) .

SUBJ: ORDER: Qty 1 Unscratchable Labels Set, Injected 12 Cyl Cars

If you're paying with something other than PayPal, please tell me how the paymen'ts are coming & I'll respond with Unobtainium's snail mail address. Also, I'll trust your eMAIL saying your payment is coming snail mail and will log your order.

19. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    You've come to the right place, see the preceding posts. I assure you that the lettering & icons on these labels will NOT wear off, nor will solvents hurt them!

BTW, don't use oven cleaner on them, the lye in it can dissolve the synthetic sapphire overlay. (hey, nothing's perfect!) Of course, oven cleaner will strip the dye & attack your console leather as well.
    ;^)

& Yes, I have the Unbreakable Lever Bezels in stock as well:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97840

20. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    This thread has become a book, so forgive me if the answer is buried somewhere.

Verell -
    QUESTION: will these labels fit ONLY your bezels or will they fit the OEM bezels as well?

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #21 Verell, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
    The label plates fit all years of the OEM bezels as well as my unbreakable bezels.

22. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Made my order,
    Thank you.

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    HELP ME!!!

Somebody HELP ME!!!!
    Does anyone have a "take off" bezel??

Verell, do you have a single "unbreakable one"???

I got my car back , with the Choke one snapped off....who uses the Choke??
    Those that don't know better...LOL!

Thanks, everyone.....

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I could use the Choke slider label too, most likely...are you breaking sets???

One bezel
    One label

25. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen