Unofficial 308 tool kit specifications | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Unofficial 308 tool kit specifications

Discussion in '308/328' started by piezo, Nov 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    If you have read this for the toolkit in check kit go in the safe in your house

2. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Email sent. Please check!

3. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

For Euro QV (and also US QV), the tool roll and jack kit both goes in the rear trunk as depicted in the relevant Owner's Manuals. No specific straps though. The emergency triangle goes into the jack kit as well. See the copies of the Euro manuals below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The trouble/inspection light goes into the glove box compartment for GTBs as said by Alan aka BigTex. It's not specified for GTS though, so may be in the door pocket instead or wherever you like.

BTW, I think Robert is right that most people put the kits in their safe/house now :)

4. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
  5. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Great thanks for that! Totally forgot to check the manual. Kinda duh...

Interesting so no tie downs... I had a concours judge questioning that over the weekend.

Also interesting on the Champion plugs. The rest of that car is Bosch (except maybe ignition) so you would expect... I'm guessing Champion had a deal with Ferrari so they could say that Ferraris OEM is Champion?

Thanks,

Franny

6. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I think some of the cars may not have had them. My '85 QV has a Rubber Strap to hold both the Tool Kit and the Jack Bag to the rear wall of the luggage compartment.

7. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    US or Euro? I'm starting to wonder if there is a Euro difference here too... Isn't the trunk a bit deeper on the Euro because no cats? I checked my manual (Euro) and it shows as above - far left of the compartment...

8. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    I think only US cars had the rubber strap to hold the tool kit and jack kit and only later cars.

9. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Great thread on tool rolls. I am a new 308 owner and new to the forum, and there is probably a more proper place for this post, but I am missing my tool roll. I would like to find a complete original '85 roll. What is my best approach to finding one? Thanks.

10. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Welcome Alex! I think here and eBay if you don't have any local contacts.

11. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    I check my 85 euro and it has no straps to hold the tool kit. Also my trunk is much deeper than the us model.

12. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    So I looked further into the parts catalogues of both US and Euro versions and found the difference. US cars have the strap and Euro cars don't have it.

US 83 catalogue, #42:

US 84 catalogue, #42:

Euro 85 catalogue, none:

The Owner's Manual for both US and Euro have the same placement, but the parts catalogues show the truth. One interesting thing to note is that only ONE strap as depicted in the catalogue instead of a couple.

13. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    Thanks for the information on the strap. Now I'm looking for the emergency window crank and to spark plugs.

14. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks. After checking things out I got one from Ryan at classicferrariparts in the UK. It was pricey but my goal was to ensure correctness and find one in a condition matching the rest of my car. He has some great items.

15. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Indeed, and he is here in FChat as well as he's an owner too.

16. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    By the way, the trunk on a US spec car is shallower than the Euro cars. The floor is higher due to the insulation for the exhaust system. Found this out from Albert when I was chasing Schedoni luggage. Apparently the trunk depth is the same as a 208 Turbo. Don't mean to get off the track for Tools.

17. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    #492 abilliet, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

I have not seen this one before. In general the OEM Ferrari pliers are usually having single coloured handles (usually red) beginning in the late 1970s except the Facom tools. May be it is from a specific tool company in collaboration with Ferrai s.p.a. to product this, I don't know, or it could be something similar to the following pictured.

Also, I think the dual coloured pliers are modern productions. So I believe it's not for our 308/328s.

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I have never seen a pair of pliers with dual-colored handles before either...I have no idea from which toolkit it might come?
    Interesting...

Rgds

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Probably from a toolkit not earlier than the 90s.
    It has multi-component injection moulded handles and this technology with such soft grip parts was widely introduced only in the 90s.

Best
    Martin

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, that would have been my guess also, as I have a general knowledge of most toolkits from the seventies/eighties; and I also know the pliers from the 348/355/550/360, which are not like these ones...I wonder from which toolkit they are?

Rgds

22. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

I don't think it's from the cars from 430 or earlier. If it does, I'd have noticed already. 458 or 488 eras if it's really OEM.

23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well Steven, I would think it is fairly recent indeed, but I never exclude the cars for which I know zilch about their tool kits, I mean the "specials" like F50, Enzo, etc...

Rgds

24. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Good point about the special edition cars. I have zero knowledges about their tool kits as well.

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    You could be forgiven to think that the factory delivered these with a special team of mechanics, with their own tools, so the cars doesn't need one...
    I know that the F40 had one, and - "if my memory, etc..." the numbers' positioning on the "Kravm" wrenches are different than those on the Kravm for the mere mortals 3x8s.
    The F50 also had one, I checked this a few months ago chatting with another F-Chatter who had some strange tools, that eventually happened to come from one of the two F-50 tool pouches.
    As for the others cars, Enzo, La Ferrari etc...or any "Aperta", "Barchetta", "superamerica" and what have you: I don't know...

Rgds