Unusual Spec 400i - 046851 | FerrariChat

Unusual Spec 400i - 046851

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by cc8s, Dec 16, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cc8s

cc8s Karting

Jan 28, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I saw an unusual 400i in Romania the other day.

Apparently ex-Boris Becker.

Does anyone know the story behind it and the name of the colour?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  2. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Boris was released from prison yesterday, and deported from the UK. Maybe he’ll go to Romania and try and get his car back!

aidanparte likes this.
  3. Theruse

Theruse Karting

Jan 17, 2014
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Prescott Russo
    Can you give more detail why this 400i is unusual?

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I think the word "incorrect" would be a better description.

bjwhite likes this.
  5. cc8s

cc8s Karting

Jan 28, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I mean the colour is unusual - that's what I was most interested in.

6. cc8s

cc8s Karting

Jan 28, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Oh that's a coincidence. I'll have to look that up.

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The colour certainly does not match the factory records, but It's definitively a nice colour combo with the upsholtery.

We know that "usually" factory colour is the one with the highest potential for capital appreciacion. This does not mean, that factory colour is the "right" colour. Depending on the history of the car, a different colour can have some value: without its distinctive black paint and bright orange edging the Lincoln Futura would have long been forgotten... Schlumpf was a maniac that had all his collection repainted, who would dare to respray any of his Bugatti Royale so as to match the factory colour? If Boris Becker himself had ordered the car to be repainted this way, would reverting it to factory colour give it anymore value?

Worst case, the car's market value is $5k lower, but who cares? Some of us do prefer to drive the car with a colour they like.

Ewan likes this.
  8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The rule of thumb a car broker told me about incorrect paint vs value was deduct the cost of a repaint from the market value. The fact the hood grill is also painted is a bit of a kick to the groin.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I think you mean the front bumper--never understood why people do that.

But this being a series II, the hood grille is always body color.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I did mean the hood grill, didn't know a series 2 had that body colour - Im not a fan. Knew the bumpers were supposed to be black but thats easy to correct and part of a repaint. I think they do that in an attempt to modernize the look like the 412 or how the 328 got body colour bumpers to give it an update.

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Could also be a repair: back then they would not hesitate to use what was in the shelves and put 412 parts on a 400.

My father's 365 ended up with 4 taillights and regular leather in the dashboard... To tell the truth, it was in 1988, 365 spare parts were probably getting low?

Seems to me the 412 bumper are fiberglass, whereas the earlier ones are foamy. Not sure the foamy can be painted without tons of plasticiser that would make the colour odd. So they have probably changed the bumpers, not just painted them.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    What bumpers are foam? My series 1 is fiberglass front and rear

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The 365 bumpers are some type of foam with a rubbery/plastic coating on the outside.

Newman likes this.
  14. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Then your serie 1 is "incorrect". Mine was a later serie 1 from december 1981 , still with the foamy bumpers.

This being said the fiberglass bumper can easily be painted with a paint that replicates the rubbery coating of the earlier bumpers. These are definitively the one I would use in my car as the foam can shrink and the internal frame does rust.

Not sure why they used this technique as all the other Ferraris of that era were using more durable material. BB 365 for instance has black bumpers and spoilers, but this was paint over ABS/fiberglass (?) rather than foam.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I could be mistaken, they look like fiberglass on the outside but whatever they are I have no reason to believe they are not original to the car. If they're anything like a euro 308 bumper then they are composite but foam isn't the word I would use. A few years ago I bumped into a generator I had in my garage, misjudged the distance and felt the car stop. It put a small mark on the bumper that I would expect to see on something made of fiberglass.

16. pattorpey

pattorpey Rookie

Oct 16, 2016
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Pat Torpey
    When I was researching repair methods for my own bumper repair, and trying to establish the manufacturing process and the materials used, the only reference I came across which seemed to fit the bill was the attached PDF file.
    The attached picture shows the bumper repair in progress. The bumper skin was badly cracked in several places and the edges of the cracks had curled outwards by 1 to 2mm. I cut back the skin to remove the protrusions, undercut the foam and filled the resulting depressions with polyurethane epoxy adhesive. The adhesive was sanded down after curing and the resulting repair after painting is undetectable. That was about 2 years ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Britward and raemin like this.