Update on my Baby Back on the Road thread | FerrariChat

Update on my Baby Back on the Road thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by need4speed, Oct 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I just tried some GUMOUT on my carbs. Boy, it takes awhile to remove the carb cover. As the car was warming up, I played with the throttle a bit. I got a very good visual of a backfire!!! And to think I just had my face over that carb throat!!! It shot a flame about 4 inches out of the throat.

Anyways, I commenced with the spraying of the GUMOUT and got the engine to stop popping. I was elated. I decided to drive around a bit to make sure it's really cleared up. But no luck. It's definitely better. I can cruise down my street without embarrassing pops. But once at speed, the pops returned.

Does this sound like just needing to drive her more? Again, she sat for 3 years.

I'm scheduled at the start of November to have some paint issues addressed. So I'll have the shop check the vacuum and the timing. And to adjust the float level of the carbs.

Is a vacuum check fairly easy to do? I'd like to do more on my Dino myself if at all possible.
    Is adjusting floats an easy job?

I hope the workshop manual will enlighten me on these questions.

Manny