Updates to my "new" 360 (Stereo / BT / Scuderia Audio / Battery) | FerrariChat

Updates to my "new" 360 (Stereo / BT / Scuderia Audio / Battery)

Discussion in '360/430' started by 2tall4economy, Nov 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2tall4economy

2tall4economy Karting

Oct 26, 2014
    Western Suburbs of Chicago (for now)
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Starting this thread because all of the stereo threads were dated when I did my research a few months ago and the last few weeks - hopefully it helps someone else.

Got my "dream" Ferrari about a month ago. 360 red/tan manual convertible. I say dream because it was the one on my wall that started the dream and energized me to do that last email or analysis before logging off for the last 20+ years... now I dream bigger but this one is special. Anyway, that's a topic for another day.

Got most of my "upgrades" out of the way right in the beginning. Been on and off in the shop for the past month but now (sadly, as the snow is about to fall) it's all done and in my possession again.

-Full Scuderia Audio set with the focal k2 door speakers, EQ, amps, and focal utopia sub (hopefully pics look reasonable when loaded in).

-Bluetooth $30 plug in dongle (said "Mercedes Benz" on it - DONT LISTEN TO THEM!)

-Ctek MXS 5.0 bought direct for $84.

Might still do an exhaust (not convinced yet), a head unit (pretty much just because I would like it to match the color of the EQ in the dash at night (not the greatest reason), and a backup camera built into the rear view mirror (I can't stand the idea of putting a flip up screen on this car).

So first off, the Scuderia Audio set is AWESOME! and Mike is a great guy to work with. Answered all my questions, kept in touch the whole time, resolved issues as they came up (and they did come up!) sent pics as it was built... and once installed (and after I figured out the other issue - see below), it was INCREDIBLE to listen to. I spent 2 hours in the car listening tonight. Wife wasn't happy...

I ended up getting the focal k2 door speaker pack, a focal utopia sub, and the EQ and amp set in the front. Getting the EQ was overkill but it's a bit easier to reach down and fiddle with real knobs then wade through menus. Also offers more tweaking. But unfortunately it glows blue at night when the stereo doesn't. Might get another head unit JUST because of that.

One warning - Mike is awesome and his products are awesome, but he's not going to hold your hand for installation and doesn't send you all of the wires and whatnot that you need. Most of it, yes, but there is an expectation of a little stereo hookup knowledge, soldering experience, panel removal, running wires, etc... if you don't have that - just bring it down to a local installer to get it finished up.

I can't really fault him for that, but wanted to let others know -- you gotta be handy or bring it to a AV shop... which I did for the sub and some other things. But I did the doors and head unit myself.

After I had everything installed, I was driving around with the stock head unit (it looking stock was important for me) and while I heard an amazing improvement in the high and mid range, the sub was anemic, which I found odd.

After fiddling with it I realized it was just because of the radio reception capability of the stock head unit. On bluetooth from my phone, the sound was amazing and the bass was bumping as expected.

Speaking of the radio - installing the $30 part was super easy - just note that you'll need to go into a setting menu in the Becker and "enable" the Aux function, oddly, before it works right.

Additionally, I added the ctek charger; for those who haven't done it, just buy the oem model / package. it has everything you need, despite what you read. Buy it for $84 on amazon and spend 20 - 30 min attaching the battery and saving $160 vs the "juicemyride" version that gives you a plug for the frunk connection.

Things I'd do / prefer to be different? Not much, but this is completely niggles, not real issues.

Might be nice to have focal uptopia for the midrange / tweeters too. Not due to quality but I actually don't like the fact I can see the speakers and they are noticeably yellow vs the original black color. The utopia are like grey felt vs bright yellow and stand out less.

The EQ emits blue light to the cabin. I think you can get by without it, BUT, if you're going to want a good EQ it's going to come from a new head unit and boom, you're right back to the problem of a color at night which is different than stock...

In terms of head units, I did a little research (not much out there), and I knew VERY little from 20 years ago to at least make me dangerous, so here's what I'd say for anyone that is interested:

-To keep the look you want a single DIN, non-flip up screen
    -What you probably want is a digital media receiver "DMR"; while CD receivers exist I don't know who actually still owns CDs
    -The "real" companies in the space are Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, JVC, and Pioneer. Others are generally new players / cheap knockoffs
    -There is basically 1 "best" DMR for each company. Pick the one you want and you're generally done, though be careful as there are units out there for sale that are 8 year old Tech and still expensive / fully priced. Recommend you don't buy them.

For me, I narrowed it down to the Sony GSX-GS80 (which has a built-in Amplifier) and the Kenwood KMM-704. I generally like the looks of the Sony better, so if I upgrade I'll probably do that.

On a side note, it irritates me that the single DIN screens look like MS-DOS instead of looking like my phone... how can we not have changed that to a touch screen in the last ~20 years?

Happy upgrading / hunting!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looking good!
    The standard Focal midrange and tweeter set is dark gray. You have the high end Focal components (yellow in color). I have the standard kit in my 360, will trade you any day! :)

2tall4economy and Todd Laing like this.
  3. Todd Laing

Todd Laing Karting

Jun 15, 2020
    Mena Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Todd Laing
    I have those same Focal K2 components in mine and they sound amazing!! Even top down at speed loud and clear. I have never been disappointed with Focal stuff. Also has two shallow Mount JLAUDIO Subwoofers makes an excellent all around system. That’s a great looking set up you have!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2tall4economy likes this.
  4. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Well, now you do. I still like CD's and FM radio. In fact, my car came with a very fancy audio system that the invoice says was just over $22,000 installed and I'm going to take it out. I currently have a bunch of stuff under a custom made floor hatch in the frunk and two huge speakers behind the seats and a Kenwood stereo (probably stereo is the wrong word to an audiophile) that can apparently do anything you want it to. They did an amazingly neat install. I've only turned it on a couple of times and it sounded amazing but it's not something that I really value so I'm going to remove it all and install an OEM radio.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    2tall4economy...sorry for appearing to hi-jack your thread. I had intended to add 1 pic to my reply of what I call "the junk in my frunk" but it grabbed the whole folder of audio pics instead. I couldn't figure out how to delete them. Sorry for the disturbance. Bill

Todd Laing likes this.
  6. 2tall4economy

2tall4economy Karting

Oct 26, 2014
    Western Suburbs of Chicago (for now)
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Ha ha. No worries. I would caution you on COMPLETELY swapping back to OEM. The sound quality is really, really poor in the head unit and bluetooth makes it way better... also, I agree you don't want garish subs and amps, but I would keep any door speakers; the improvement is meaningful.