Upgrade or Stock? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Upgrade or Stock?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 14, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Well, I think there’s some other stuff too But hard to know what. The head porting and polishing and valve work obviously help. I think they may have oversized the valves (I asked but no one remembers) and I know that the owner who had it done was super impressed that they got over 290hp. He was expecting 275 to 285 he mentioned.

At the end of the day, I don’t know how much it really matters to me. I’m not rebuilding anything (I hope!) and the car has plenty of power for me. That said, I know you guys are always looking for what works so I’ll go through the paperwork and see what else I uncover.

Btw, I did talk to Simon a year or so ago about his kugelfischer set up. He is a truly impressive individual.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I live in Brooklyn and would be happy to sell you the Brookly Bridge if you're interested. Give you a nice fchat insider price. ;-)

sherpa23 likes this.
  3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I think you and I know another Fchatter not too far away whose speciality is that, lol.

dwhite likes this.
  4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #154 ginoBBi512, Feb 2, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2023

Terrifying ? lol No car in my opinion , for the street is terrifying, that word only matches with very fast motorcycles. I guess you have not been on two wheels at 125 MPH on a wheelie in 3rd gear, or lets say on a lighter bike, in 4th gear at 100 MPH when the only thing keeping it from a huge wheelie is the wheelie control mapping. No car is scary fast, they can be really fast, never scary, its that simple. Try and match a plaid against a Hyabusa or a V4S from 120 to 170 the plaid would be left in the dust, one can talk all about the 1/4 mile, that isnt ****, try it from 120 to 170 +, see what happens.

Big G

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Here's a 3.5 liter 308 with 347hp

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Ummm I don't trust those numbers. They should've posted the Dyno numbers not the SIM numbers.

It's probable to get that power, so why not just use the actual Dyno numbers?

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Gino, you may be right re the Hyabusa vs Plaid doing a 120-170 mph race but where are you going to do that? The reality in the real world, NOT at the salt flats or on a two mile long abandoned runway, is that the Plaid will outrun pretty much any ICE street vehicle...and it will do it while the driver is sipping his Latte. ;) Do I LIKE that? No but as Dylan once said, "The times, they are a' changin."

Re fast motos - At the track, the fastest/quickest motos cannot equal cars in lap times, 1/4 mile times, braking distance or any other "tests" you can come up with. The fact is that four wheels gives you more capability to apply power/braking/cornering than two AND cars are far more aerodynamic than bikes. OTOH, I will admit that 150 MPH on a bike is a bit more "intensive" than 150 in a car. ;)

Rifledriver likes this.
  8. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Drag coefficient of a Hayabusa is what? 0.4 - 0.5? It would be a remarkable feat of aerodynamics if it accelerates faster above 120 than below with a Cd that high.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I was really saying that compared to the tesla, it would beat it because of its good aero, not that its faster up to 120, just that it would be quicker going from 120 + .

Big G

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    They have a bunch of videos (after I posted youtube sends me 308 dyno runs everyday), all end with a similar shot of what I tough was a printout? He's got a few that are JUST shy of 100hp/liter. I'm doing everything I can to get mine down to that number with restrictive air boxes and duct work :oops:

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Back in the day ('96?) I got 151 down the front straight at Daytona on my H-D race bike.....most boring part of the track. come out of the back chicane, twist the throttle open, and wait about 20seconds until you find yourself at the end of the straight going WAY too fast for turn 1 then it feels FAST . Heck, 70mph of so feel incredibly fast when your sliding along the tarmac toward the hay bails :eek:

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Just to follow up on the hp rating on the group 4 cars, one was up for sale yesterday at artcurial in Paris and the catalogue description notes the hp as 305hp per Michelotto. So once again, whatever recipe the engine builders are following for group 4 prep is yielding a lot of hp per liter. Mine is in the 290’s but not as high as 300.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferraripilot likes this.
  13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Regarding motorbikes. I have just about every great Ducati they made, including the new V4 Superleggera (235hp snd 335 lbs or something) annd a few old factory race bikes and I do a ton of track days. There aren’t a lot of good places to ride bikes that go that fast. Even many tracks aren’t enough. I need big tracks for some of the new ones.

I like tracking motorbikes more than cars but I not because I think one is faster. It’s more that motorbikes are more engaging and a very full experience. I like tracking cars as well but it’s not the same.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miurasv and smg2 like this.
  14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    My understanding is Michelotto was using the 208 heads. I had 1 here to play with on the flow bench maybe 15 years ago and it came right up to stock 308 flow number but with much smaller ports so much higher velocity and DM5 said it would make lots of hp. I dug though and this is that head with a p6 cam...it would make 300hp with carbs on it I'm pretty sure, this would be ITBs
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferraripilot and sherpa23 like this.
  15. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Im in agreement with all except braking distance, and as far as aero, the Busa is far more aero than the plaid, and for a motorcycle hitting those speeds and slowing down from them happens a lot faster on a bike in a straight line and to most dismay on here, I will say, that I have on several occasions hit brake neck speeds out here on the freeways on my Suzuki, just the other day I spooled the V4S Street Fighter up to 160 coming up over the brand new Long Beach harbor / Terminal Island bridge . These bikes have amazing brakes and the amazing ability to slow down much faster than a car . Remember, we are comparing bikes to 1000 HP electrified cars with all their power / torque to the wheels as soon as you touch the pedal , not your run of the mill 5-6-700 HP ICE, that in itself says how fast these bikes really are in my estimation. Thank you Sir.

Big G

16. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    If we all concede you are the most brave/macho/foolish person here, could we get you to stop trying to prove it in every post you make?

Sorry. I know that's an impossible ask.

sherpa23 likes this.
  17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    160 MPH on a road in "town?" What time of the day was that? You'd be "under the jail" and the bike up for auction if caught/observed by the Law .

I don't know whether to say, "I'm impressed" or to say, "That F&^ker is CRAZY!" :eek:

18. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #168 ginoBBi512, Feb 5, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    You have to know when and where to spool up to that speed, this stretch of road is like a freeway , so four lanes going up hill in the same direction over a bridge , and there are never any police shooting radar, there are no blind spots. On the Busa, I have been over 160 several times, once at 180 and once at 185 , at night in the carpool lane on the 22 . Like I said, these modern bikes can accelerate so fast to these brake neck speeds and then brake down to the speed limit before anyone can really notice. For all intensive purposes, this is not uncommon . The time of day was somewhere around 1 - 2 PM in the afternoon on a weekday. There are two stretches of road very close to my house that are 4 lanes, 2 each way, with sweeping corners with jersey barriers all the way up / down on each side, so 110 - 120 speeds are no issue, there are no places to get clocked, you just have to make sure your not going to pass any police, which is not hard to do because the road has long sweeping corners that are easy to see around. This is not new for me, Ive always been a very skilled rider and at 59 , I have a clean record . Speed is addictive, and fun, just taken in small doses once in a while, and no one loses and eye.

Big G

19. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I'd be careful with admitting such things... If not mistaken it gets into TOS violations...

20. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    As the OP for this (quite interesting!) thread, I thought it wise to copy and paste the text of the original article that I referenced in the first post, for posterity and for future "Search" purposes. Besides, many of you late-comers might not have even read the text in the first place!

Here it is:

"I’ve been having a back-and-forth discussion with SCM Contributor Jim Schrager (my long-time mentor) about upgrading engines in vintage cars.

This started when I mentioned to him that I was confused about 911 restorations. I see so many ads for early 911s that blather on and on about $250k restorations and then add, “by the way we upgraded the engine from 2.0 to 2.4 liters.”

I’ve never thought of myself as a purist, but I like things to be correct. Many years ago, I owned a 1968 911L (with the dreaded side-markers). It had the S-gauge package and a five-speed. I found the performance delightful with its stock 2.0-L engine. I drove it on the 1,000-mile Northwest Classic Rally. It had more power than my four-cylinder Alfa Giulia Spider Veloce, certainly enough to go as fast as I wanted to on a public road.

I also recall how free-revving it was. It reminded me of the 750-series Alfa Veloce motors, which seemed to have no discernable redline. They just kept spinning faster and faster the more you fed them fuel.

I have noted before that while I would not change out the engine in an Alfa to a larger one, I have enjoyed buying Alfas that someone else has already modified — all of the pleasure and none of the guilt.

The “modificatos” I have owned include a Giulia Super with a 2.0-L replacing the original 1.6, and a 1967 GTV similarly upgraded to a 1750.

Did the larger engines make the cars “better?” No, they made them different.

Good friend and AROO club president Chris Bright has a later-model Super with its original twin-Weber 1.3-L engine.

I recently rode with him on a 300-mile one-day tour to the coast and back.

Yes, he had row through the gears from 5th down to 3rd on some hills, but isn’t that why we like manual gearboxes?

Schrager explained that he values cars that are prepared to their original specs. It’s also important that the drivetrains and suspensions be up to snuff. It’s no fun to drive an old car with a crappy suspension or badly tuned carbs.

If we are going to all the trouble to own old cars, then we owe it to ourselves to have all the systems working as well as they would have in the first years of the car’s life.

I’ve decided that I’m with Jim. Given a choice, I would always prefer a smaller-displacement original motor over a later “upgrade.” Original motor cars may be harder to drive and you have to work to get them to perform, but they have their own unmistakable essence.

None of us are racing these cars; we are taking them out for tours on public highways at reasonable speeds. How they were born will let you go fast enough.

Before you drop six figures on your next 911 restoration, I present a challenge to you, to accept your car for what it was, as-built. Are you a mature and self-confident enough collector to let it teach you what Porsche was up to in-period? Or does your ego need to be stroked by being able to brag that you have “upgraded your motor.”

You may go faster, but your car is no longer a time machine.

These machines were awfully good when new. I advocate teaching yourself how to appreciate them before “improving them” and ruining their essence.

What’s your opinion? If you were restoring a 2.0-L 911, would upgrade the engine? And if you were building a 1967 Duetto, would you replace the original 1.6-L engine with a 2.0?"

21. Kzfkaco

Kzfkaco Rookie

Feb 27, 2023
    Miami Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo Navarro
    Hi new here I am looking to purchase a 308 so far I’ve seen it and it’s haven’t move for 20 years it hace rust in some areas and don’t know overall condition .

Cameron Henlin likes this.
  22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Ferraripilot likes this.
  23. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Yes I have seen it. I recently heard from a contact that Maranello concessionaires had installed 6-7 of these kits on GTBs and 1 in a GTS in-period. All pigs to drive with this kit though!

sherpa23 likes this.
  24. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I just wanted to update something:

I took the car to the track last week for a shake down. It's really an impressive car. It handles extremely well and is so incredibly competent. That said, I think that over 290hp is not right. I don't know if that sheet I saw was an incredibly optimistic dyn0 or what but after running it hard on a hilly course, I think that the power is more like 275hp or so as @Ferraripilot and others thought.

A couple of things: first I am at altitude (5500 ft)which loses a lot of hp and second, the carbs are not tuned for this altitude and the car is running really rich (loads up easily with too much gas, shoots flames when I lift). I know that those have an effect but even with that, I think that the car is maybe a low to mid 280's car at best.

The car is really amazing. I'm not sure if I would want more power after having fun with it on the limit and sliding it a bit but I wanted to correct the record after giving it a thorough and proper day of driving at the track.

Ferraripilot likes this.
  25. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    What a fabulous thing. Very jealous!

sherpa23 likes this.