Upgraded my Headlights to LED's | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Upgraded my Headlights to LED's

Discussion in '348/355' started by 308gtsqv, Dec 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I get it, someone has to jump first, I bought HIDs when they were 10x what they cost now and a fraction as reliable. I am just pleased to see that they have come this far, and what that means for just a few months from now.

2. nismodrifter

nismodrifter Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2008
    YYC/YVR
    Full Name:
    Navdeep
    Excellent, will probably go LED once summer rolls around.

3. ferrari bud

ferrari bud Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    OP, can you confirm your headlights are the 5000K color? I got an email from OPT7 saying they don't make a 5000K color for some reason. I'm asking them to confirm.

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That sounds like a much better idea than HID kits.

Could we see an illuminated picture from the front of the car? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #30 308gtsqv, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So when I searched on eBay I specifically looked for 5k not 6k as I didn't want them to look to Blue.

So you can see from the link I posted they advertised them as 5k. I just went and looked at the box that shipped and they are indeed 6000k not 5000k. I will say I'm a bit irritated that the misrepresented them but the end result is a White color. So it's a "it is what it is" kind of thing.

I would still recommend them.

Sure, not sure if this give you a good enough idea, its raining here right now. I'll take better shots later in the week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  6. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    That looks hid bright.

7. ferrari bud

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How much of a blue do you see? Like you, I'm not a fan of any blue tint.

8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks, that looks good. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is an awesome post, thank you so much for sharing.

I apologize for the noob question, but would this work for the 348 and/or Mondial t?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    If you'd read the advert at the time more carefully, whilst the "headline" part of the advert did indeed state "5000K" (they've now changed it to read 6000K), the detailed description and the pictures of the box both clearly stated that these were 6000K bulbs.

(Trust Me on this one, when the query of 5000k or 6000K was first made I rechecked the advert very carefully! - As I say, they've now changed the advert!)

11. ferrari bud

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I talked to their customer service team and he told me they would be updating the listing title.

That was fast!

12. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The look white, with maybe with a hint of blue. Nothing like a blue 6k HID its much more OEM looking.

As long as you don't have a sealed beam light it should work fine, just check the bulb type.

Yeah.. I only have myself to blame for the mistake. I suppose I'm just lucky with the result. They look white and thats all I was after.

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    thank you 308gtsqv - your car looks awesome!

Cheers

14. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    They really do look good, thanks for the detailed heads up. It is now added to my "348 to do list". :)

15. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    thanks for sharing ....cool uprade

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    To be totally fair, they should also have done a better job with their advert!

(BTW: Thank you for not taking any offence at My post! Re-reading it again it did sound as though I was having a bit of a dig at you about reading the advert correctly, which wasn't My intention when I wrote it! - Sorry if it came across that way! )

17. ssnowball

ssnowball Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2013
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Scot
    Installed today with standard adapters, took maybe 15 minutes. Love the results, thanks for the lead.

18. tcbquattroporte

tcbquattroporte Karting

Jan 31, 2014
    New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Awesome post. Thanks for the info.

19. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    +1. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Like you, I dislike blue tint in headlamps and I would have expected 6000k to be way too blue for my tastes. It's great to see firsthand that they're not.

FWIW, I've found that actual color temps vary considerably from the manufacturer's claims. I bought a set of HID lamps of a well regarded brand to replace the cheapies in my HID converted ///M3. I went off of the color chart provided by the manufacturer and wound up ordering a good bit higher temp lamps than I would have expected considering how blue the original cheap HID lamps were. Seems like the replacements were rated as a higher color temp than the cheapies, but they were a good bit less blue in actual use. So, anecdotally at least, higher color temps in a better lamp may not be as blue as it would be in a cheaper lamp.

In any case, your pics make it look as though the color of your lamps is perfectly acceptable. While I prefer a tiny bit of yellow tint, I've found that a tiny bit of blue is okay, but much more than that just gets harsh.

Nice work and nice post! Thanks.

20. ferrari bud

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just did the upgrade over the weekend. I'm definitely not a fan of any blue tint, but after the install, overall, I thought the color was pretty close to white with maybe a super slight tint of blue. Agree that this doesn't look like 6000K I've seen in the past with other manufacturers.

Light output is much better than stock like the OP mentioned, but the one downside I'm not a huge fan of is that because there are two LEDs on each side, if you look directly at the projector housing, you'll notice it's not one solid beam of light. The light doesn't fill the entire projector and you still see the light source from the left and right side.

Below are two photos:

1/ Partially installed to see the difference
    2/ The left side/right side issue I mentioned above

21. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Nice pics, Bud. Care to give us a WAG as to the difference in light output? Are the LEDs double the brightness of stock? More? Less?

22. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    excellent update

23. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Glad to hear everyone that did this after my recommendation is happy with them!

Wow I never really noticed that. They're so bright I never looked right at them to catch that. That being said, most of them time I drive the car it's not at night and when I do have them up no one really really pick up on that.

As time goes on I'm sure there will be better bulbs that are brighter and more efficient, but for now these are a great and cheap way to improve night driving without really messing with anything.

24. ferrari bud

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I would guess it's around 1.5-2x brighter by just looking at it. Overall, I like it -- simple to install. I wonder if OPT7 were to add a 3rd LED at the tip if it would make any difference when filling out the light beam in the projector housing.

Any lighting experts here care to chime in? :)

25. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I would only be concerned about how they fill the road.