Upgraded my Headlights to LED's | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Upgraded my Headlights to LED's

Discussion in '348/355' started by 308gtsqv, Dec 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    I noticed yesterday one of my fog lights stopped working so I am seeking some advice as well.

2. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    +1.....between the heat, flickering and blinding other drivers this is not the way to go.

3. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Guy driving at night with his headlights off, in the first video, states his "front window" has 40% tinting. That tells me everything I need to know about him (I wouldn't ask him for the time of day).

Second video discusses the similarity of Xenon HID to sunlight. The video link shows 8000K. Sunlight is around 5000~5500 degrees Kelvin in the middle of a clear day. Huge difference. In my book there's nothing credible about these video links.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Interesting and informative thread. For those that prefer the "classic" oem look, the HIR bulbs are a nice upgrade over the standard halogen, and look stock. I found a good 30% or so improvement in lighting distance, with a much more even pattern and distinct cut off. Just search "HIR" on this forum for details....I think it was "No Doubt" that initiated the thread about HIR bulbs. The only negative is they have about a 50% shorter life span than standard halogen bulbs. Never noticed the shorter life in the 355, since I didn't drive it at night that much, but did notice in my daily driver.

5. baschul

baschul Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Brian S
    Great thread. Definitely interested in LED options for high beam and fog lights for the F355 as others have mentioned above.

6. Volair

Volair Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Carmel, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I just installed the LED OPT7 lights and I am very pleased. One item that must be done is get the light re-aligned. Once you adjust the position of headlights, it is awesome.

7. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hi, did the heatsink fit in lowbeam housing and dust cap?

8. Volair

Volair Karting

Apr 11, 2013
    Carmel, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Bart
    The heatsink sits in the outside of the light assy. On mine there was no additional dust cap. Even if there was one, you would want the heatsink to be exposed so it can circulate the air. There were no issues with figment or packaging. I tucked the extra wiring in the headlight "well."

9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I did the left side today and lighting is much much better. The problem Is could not get the passenger side headlamp out. No matter how much I twisted and turned it it was just too tight. Any tricks to this?

10. eyboro

eyboro Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2004
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Eitan
    Had the same issue, just lift the housing up with one hand and twist the head light out, it should come out after a couple twists. I had the same problem on the same side as well.

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    What I did was loosened out by about 1/4 in. two (top and bottom, at the motor side) of the 4 bolts holding the light housing. The bolts are accessible from the boot (trunk). This will provide a lot more flexibility (without disturbing the alignment) to the light housing to pull it up for extra clearance. Get the top edge of the lamp out first then the bottom. I put 3 layers of masking tape in front of the lamp plus a towel.

12. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Thanks guys, I"ll give that a try.

13. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    thank you Volair for the explanation about the heatsink

14. tommygunct

tommygunct Karting

Dec 26, 2012
    Stuart florida
    I did it. Awesome. And great light kit

15. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I upgraded my low and high beams to LEDs a couple of months ago. Thank-you, Mike!

Barry

16. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Mike, it's coming up on 11 months since you did the conversion. Still liking them? Any problems so far?

17. gar348

gar348 Rookie

Jun 20, 2009
    I've been looking for an upgrade for my headlights and this sounds great! Any idea if they will fit a '91 348?

18. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm sad to say I actually sold my car. I miss it dearly. But things in life came up where it needed to go. Basically my start up company, and the need for a 4 seater sports car.

Not sure if those had sealed beams but either way you could make them work.

Awesome! :)

19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #94 308 GTB, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank-you again, Mike. I know how much you must miss your F355.

The LED headlight conversion was so good that I converted the fog lights to yellow 3,000K running lights. An excellent safety feature for track events...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    What bulbs did you use for the fog light conversion? Inquiring minds and all....

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Same here (want to know). My fogs are DRLs.

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #97 308 GTB, Jun 7, 2017
    There might be easier H1 LED conversions today. I did this last year and had to use the adhesive that was included in the kit to stabilize the assemblies.

2 X CREE 3000K Yellow 66W 6000LM H1 LED Headlight Beam Bulbs Conversion Kit 12V | eBay

23. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Thanks Barry. I'll look into that one and report back if I find something else that might work.

I love the idea that you wired the fog lights to operate separate of your parking lights.

Now, tell me more about how you wired the fog lights to come on without the parking lights. Where did you pick up the wiring? Switch? Am I being a pest now? :)

24. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #99 308 GTB, Jun 8, 2017
    You're welcome. By now there might be some 3000K yellow H1 assemblies that will not require adhesive. I'm sure there are 6000K assemblies that are direct replacements for the halogen H1 bulbs we have in our fog/flash lamps.

I wanted to maintain the flashing capability of my fog lights with the light stalk so the lights have separate wires powering them directly from the battery. I replaced the defunct driver's door momentary power lock switch on the console with another on/off fog light switch to control the fog lights independent of the parking lights. The circuit is unswitched right now. I'll be tying the circuit to the master ignition switch on the radio-delete panel next week.

My 1995 F355 Challenge is set up as it was when it raced. The cooling fans are controlled manually by switches on either side of the master ignition switch. My car never got the transmission oil cooler upgrade and so it still has the two functional fog lights.

25. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    So did mine today... they look great. But now the fogs are in dire need of updating.

Word of caution... make sure you get the wires out of the way. The opti stick out all the way back to the rear of the headlight bay.

I'm almost thinking of something custom for the fogs. Not sure any thing but a standard size H1 is going to fit in there.

Anyone tried it yet?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk