Upgrading 2010 Cali Headunit with Another Chrysler unit? | FerrariChat

Upgrading 2010 Cali Headunit with Another Chrysler unit?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by FrancisK, Mar 2, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    So long story short my close friend is an engineer for Chrysler and specifically works for the team that works on the head units. He has access to anything and everything related to them, from software upgrades to just new and old units.

Before I go start putting him on the task I wanted to ask if anyone has done this, simply upgraded what is already in there with either software or just a more modern unit that matches up. Would love to have an updated nav and dare I say….Bluetooth audio.

I read that upgrading the unit in general is difficult because a lot of the car info is in there and it leads to error codes. What all should I be considering here before I dig into this?

If it’s feasible I’ll definitely report back here with whatever I find….

anunakki and WW2GURU like this.
  2. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
  3. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
  4. FrancisK

FrancisK Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2021
    Midwest
    Alright so talked to him and he said they don’t use those units anymore obviously and unfortunately they just cleaned everything out, only a few months ago he had the same unit from a 2016 or 2018 sitting there collecting dust….damn it.

He’s going to see if he can finagle a software upgrade for me at the least.

WW2GURU likes this.
  5. WW2GURU

WW2GURU Rookie

Feb 28, 2022
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Daryl Boechler
    I suspect that the software releases are given to them by Harman Becker. Possibly even engineering versions along with the ability to troubleshoot ST10 errors etc. In fact this reminds me of when the early mygigs were released, HB was supporting customers directly. There was some back and forth with customers through a support email address and a handful of software updates came out bypassing the dealers initially. Most notably the clock fix as its called. Later, Chrysler found out and the story is that they stopped HB from doing that so customers would get pushed through the dealer network and its been that way ever since. Its unfortunate thats what happened because a lot of radios with early HDD firmwares were messed up because dealer techs would flash them without knowing any better.

FrancisK likes this.
  6. HollywoodRich

HollywoodRich Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Rosen
    I replaced my head unit. No faults.

7. rajabf

rajabf Rookie

Jun 8, 2022
    Full Name:
    Rajabf
    Hi

I actually have looked into this, some of these mygig units are can have sofware upgrades on them. The question here is what version do we have? On the keep units they have additional capabilities after the software update like streaming I think. I try to get my hands on a used unit and test it out.

8. bb2thdr

bb2thdr Karting

Dec 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott Bialik
    On the original Cali, The Units aren't really worth upgrading. You'd be better off replacing the NIT. There is no inherent value in keeping the stock NIT from a pre Apple Car Play unit. You'd do better Upgrading to an Apple/Google carplay unit with cameras etc. People get scared about steering wheel controls, but that can be handled as long as you buy the correct conversion harness.

SoftwareDrone likes this.