Upgrading my F355 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Upgrading my F355

Discussion in '348/355' started by jmnov, May 17, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    Feedback from track test in Dijon:

- the brakes are great, absolutely no more fading laps after laps, but as we planned, the rear OEM brakes are not enough under very hard braking. I'll go for an AP Racing 4 pistons and 332mm rotor
    - the chassis is now really stiff, but we see now that the Nitron shocks are not strong enough
    We'll see if rebuilding the inside would possible with stronger springs or I'll go with Moton Motorsports or Ohlins TTX 36 Inline

But we are not far from the lap times of an original F355 Challenge...

2. Rothbauer_Racing

Rothbauer_Racing Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Great looking F355! The Challenge parts the upgraded suspension seem to have made a huge difference. What lap times are you comparing, you mentioned not far behind a F355 Challenge. Care to share the F355 Challenge lap time vs. your current lap time?

With the roll cage in can the e-brake still fit and be used? When pulled up does it hit the bar?

I've been looking for a rear challenge wing with no luck! $$$ at the dealership, used would be fine but, still not luck.

I would have thought may be the rear brakes would have been good enought but, I guess not after your track review. It's amazing how the F355 Challenge had 14" rotors and front & rear and now the 360CH has a bit smaller.

Any Track pics?

V12 Vantage! Faster just got Faster!! I've driven the V8 Vantage but, I'm sure it's nothing like the V12, the sound of the V12 Vantage is just awesome as well.

Your son can't wait to grow up! Better hide the keys! ;P)

Ciao,

SRR

3. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    I don't have very accurate lap times, but on video on the Dijon track a F355 Challenge was 1' 32" wich is faster than a Porsche 997 GT3 RS (1' 34")
    Our first laps with 3 years old PZero Corsa was 1'36". With new tires it would have easy to reach 1'34-35" I think.

For the hand-brake we didn't try with the roll cage fully installed...

I have found a rear wing on ebay with one winglet. We will re-design the pillars in aluminium but instead of the Challenge fitting, we will try to have a direct connection to the chassis for a better efficiency! I also have a carbon motor deck so I don't use the OEM part.

This winter I will return the shocks to Nitron in the UK for a re-valving and harder springs (550lbs front and 850 lbs rear) and I will try slicks tires for the first time...
    And sorry no track pics, but next year during "Sport et Collection" there will be a photograph ;-)

4. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Jmnov,

Any updates with your F355? I know it's winter but, I thought I would ask to see if anything new has occured?

Ciao,

SRR

5. White Knight

White Knight Formula 3

Aug 22, 2011
    Ogden, UT
    Full Name:
    Todd S.
    Your stable of a 355 and Aston is very nice. Quite impressed with the modifications you've done.

6. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    It is a long time since I didn't post any thing here...

Now that the prop shaft is replaced with the one from Germany, it should brake again!
    Here in Switzerland it is very difficult with the laws, we have to pass a visit every 2 years to check the car! Now the Roll cage is officially accepted, and next week I'l have all the fixations for the harnesses checked. Now there are no more street belts, only the harnesses.
    I found Challenge shocks, but they are really not so good, especially on rebound.
    Finally I cam back with the Nitron shocks, which have been rebuilt stronger and much stiffer, the result is much better than OEM Challenge shocks, 24 position of adjustment...

Now I'm selling my AP Racing big brake kit as I plan to buy the Stoptech Race Trophy front and rear (I already have the rear kit)

The kit has been only used for 1000km, with one track day for some tests. I would sell them for 2500$, shipping included to the USA

bryanchin likes this.
  7. adhesivo

adhesivo Karting

Jan 30, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Reviving this, what speing rate dis you end up using? Also nitron ntr1 or 3? Thanks!

8. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    "speing rate dis" ?

I have the Nitron 1 but totally rebuild for 100% track specs. Eibach coils 1200 lbs front and 800 lbs rear.
    Now the AP Racing kit is sold to a fellow member in Australia and I have the Stoptech Trophy race kit front and rear installed.
    Now the car is no more street legal, I'll use it only for track days, special events, etc...

Still on long way to go, the goal is to reach a weight of 1200kg, now the car is 1370kg (with all liquids)

9. adhesivo

adhesivo Karting

Jan 30, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Hahahaha thanks. Sorry for the typos, damn iphone. On a previous post higher up you mentioned “550 front 850rear” which sounded strange. Why eibach springs and not nitron?

10. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

How do you feel the Stoptechs compare to the AP brakes? I have the same Stoptechs on my car.

11. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    5550/850 was what Nitron sold me. After some search I know the value of the 2 choices of coils used for the Challenge. I choose an in between value, and Nitron use Eibach spring anyway, but easier and cheaper to order them in Switzerland

12. jmnov

jmnov Karting

Mar 15, 2009
    Lausanne
    They feel incredible: stronger braking for sure. But AP was tested on track with only front brakes, so the balance was not perfect with standrad rear brakes.

Now with Stoptech front and rear, balance is perfect. I can drive for an hour on track with constant braking all the way!
    With the Nitron and Stoptech I was the same speed as some drivers competing in the english V8 races, though they have 100kg less than my car. So I'm quite confident that my set-up is better than original Challenge set-up :D

Rothbauer_Racing likes this.
  13. Rothbauer_Racing

Jan 11, 2007
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Röthbauer Racing GmbH
    Keep up the good work and keep on tracking... It's amazing to see street 355's converted to track spec and racing around the globe.

14. getragV8

getragV8 Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Harry Luthi, III
    Incredible build. I spy an e39 M5 :)