430 - Upgrading OEM Subwoofer Keeping Same Box | FerrariChat

430 Upgrading OEM Subwoofer Keeping Same Box

Discussion in '360/430' started by ridege55, Feb 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I was looking to upgrade my OEM subwoofer in the F430 without changing out the box or the amp. I found a solution at Scuderia Audio and wanted to share the install. The kit includes two adapter plates, screws, and two 5" subwoofers. I knew that without upgrading the amp that I would not be greatly improving the bass/sound. However, I just wanted a simple upgrade to the lackluster subwoofer without doing too much work. I am by no means an audio or electronics expert, but wanted to share the experience.

Through Aldous Voice, I found the wiring of the OEM subwoofer. 4 wires: red/blue are positive, and black/yellow negative. I connected red/black to one of the new speakers and blue/yellow to the other.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The OEM subwoofer box is held by 2 hex bolts, pretty easy to remove. You could do the install without removing the box, but I found it easier with the box out.

The Scuderia Audio kit comes with 2 adapter plates that screw into the original holes. The cutout at the bottom has the adapter attached.

The speaker wire is held by a 4 pin connector. Remove the connector and disconnect the old subwoofer from the wires. Attach 16-14 disconnectors to each of the 4 wires

Connect the wires to the 2 new subwoofers and screw in the new speakers to the adapters. I also replaced the disintegrating speaker cover foam with a new speaker cloth grill mesh (found on Amazon). It looks so much better.

That's it, a pretty simple upgrade that did not take too much time. Many thanks to Mike for answering my numerous emails and questions.

tifosi101 and John_K_348 like this.
  2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nice write-up! When you took the old speakers out did you see any evidence that the cones had deteriorated? And I guess more importantly, was the sound what you were expecting?

4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Bob, cones were not deteriorated but the foam was. It had flaked away all over the place. Easy to remove the metal grate over the speaker cover, just a flat head screw driver to push back the crimped metal then just push out. Speakers definitely sound better but I think I will need to upgrade the amp to get more out of them.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I bought this kit a couple weeks ago as well, but have not had time to install. Do you think it would be practical to desolder the wires from the oem speaker, and attach connectors to the wires? Is that what you did?

ridege55 and Bob in Texas like this.
  6. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    You could definitely do that but I just snipped them. There is plenty of length on the wires.

f355spider likes this.
  7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Completed the installation tonight. I desoldered the connections to the oem speaker, then crimped on some insulated terminals. Install was pretty straight forward after that. Mount adapter plates, connected up speakers and install them with screws, then reinstall grills. Overall, a definite improvement. I would not say the bass is any deeper, but the main issue I was having was the oem sub woofer would pop or get easily over driven (my oem speakers were in perfect condition, no rotting of the foam surrounds). Probably because in the 430 Scuderia, it is only powered by the head unit? Anyway with these two new drivers, it plays a bit louder, but more importantly, no popping noises with bass heavy music, and I can turn it up louder. :)

SoftwareDrone and ridege55 like this.