US Exhaust Sampling Ports | FerrariChat

US Exhaust Sampling Ports

Discussion in '308/328' started by dflett, Oct 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    #1 dflett, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Below is a photo of what are currently plugging up the ports on my rear header. Has anyone seen these before? Can someone tell me what they are? Helicoil and a bolt perhaps.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It's not the factory part (110860). I have some of those on hand and they are solid hex plugs that screw in to the port.

Thanks in advance
    David

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Looks like the remnant of the (baked and broken off) compression fitting + tube was left in place, and a bolt/screw ran into the remaining hole. You'd need to dig the old bits out and clean up the M12 female thread of the bung on the header tube to use 110860 as intended.

dflett likes this.
  3. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Had a similar homespun hack job done on my headers. Try a few soaks of pub blaster over 24hrs first. You may get lucky. Someone jammed SAE recessed allen hex plugs into mine, which is actually what the part surrounding your screw looks like. Are ALL of your ports plugged with screws or just the one? If it's just the one, I wonder if someone didn't try to tap out the plug with a screw. I could only remove two with a long breaker bar after a long penetrating oil soak. The other two had to be drilled out by a machinist.

dflett likes this.
  4. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Just looked back at my front header pics, and the metal "sleeve" surrounding your screw looks identical to the plugs that were in my rear header. As I recall, they were 7/32 hex plugs. I got them loose with the header removed on the floor and a long breaker for leverage. Had to retap two ports, then plugged with OEM 12mm hex plugs, copper washers, and some exotic ultra-high-temp commercial thread sealant I sourced. Will get you the sealant name if that's the route you want to go.

5. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
  6. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Steve and Justin, thanks for the information. Never having seen intack sampling tubes I did not recognize corroded ones

I have only checked the rear bank. The official count is two screws, one piece of mangled pipe and one plug missing entirely.

I'd be really interested to know what sealant you used for 110860. All of the high temp threadlock and sealant products I saw stated a max of 450f. Given exhaust headers can glow which implies > 700f.

Regards David

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No sealant -- an annealed 12x17x1.5 (IIRC) solid copper sealing washer goes between the top surface of the bung and the underside of the 110860 hex head. The annealed copper is soft enough that it squishes/deforms during tightening to form a metal gasket between the two surfaces (even if neither is perfect).

8. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Ok, thanks again. That's what I was hoping. I have the washers as well. I could see how the copper would seal but I just wondered how it would handle the heat cycling and if there's a chance of the plug backing out.

I could not find any info online on how copper gaskets behave with heat cycling so my plan is to do the plug and washer up tight and check it regularly.