US glass car in latest Hemmings for $37k | Page 2 | FerrariChat

US glass car in latest Hemmings for $37k

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraripilot, Nov 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Im local if anyone needs someone to eyeball it. Dont know much about the dealer.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Looks like a good original 'survivor' to my eyes, fairly priced at $49K and looking even better if the 37K is a real number.

Despite our great love of the 'glass cars on this Section that actual market from the "Sell' side is pretty damn small, explaining the soft prices on the cars listed, IMO.

That's what made the damaged one in CA so attractive was the guy would hav taken less than $30K at the start....

3. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Has that one sold. This is the one with the damaged engine cover?

4. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    $49k would seem like the right asking price. Why such a huge reduction? Is it possible that no one would be interested at $40K? This might just be a mistake.

5. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    A receptionist that was sweet but did not seem knowledgeable said it had sold a couple of weeks ago for $37.5k. She said that $49k might have been the wrong price. That sounds like a low price for a dealer price.

6. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    My money's on mistake.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    CA car has been repaired to primer and ArtS is making a play on it, last I heard........the guy had two other 'glass ones, as his drivers!

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Records were lost, by the Previous Owner's widow......

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    RAMMER you still need an old XWX for spare tire??

I haven't forgot, may have one or two for ya, soon!

10. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I got one....thanks a million buddy!

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    *tossing old Michelins into nearby dumpster*

Good deal!!

12. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    I was told the car sold a couple of weeks ago, anybody have any new info?

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Alan,

The CA car sold for $33.5K. I had planned on buying for $32k but some extra work got done by the time I made my offer and the price went up. While I contemplated paying the extra money, and fiddling with my 330, the car was sold. I guess I snoozed a little too long.

The known issues (told to me by the owner or others who had seen the car) are: there are no records of any sort on the car; it needs a complete repaint; all of the anodized stuff needs to be refreshed; it needs a new sterring wheel. I suspect the rest of the rubber bits need to be done as well.

That said, I'm sorry I didn't buy it, I think it was a good car.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. Here is a Youtube video of the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kNKNxW-fNM

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm sorry to hear that, ArtS...I was keeping 'mum' on it while you made your play!

I had the same gut instinct that it was about equal in condition to my three steel ones, and felt it was a very honest seller.
    But the records/widow has them/dead guy......well, that starts to color the deal, IMO. That would be unreversable unless you lucked across the Shop that had done it, the Florida plates were still there on it, but ????

Oh well, next time!

What happened to our poster that popped in from Southern Italy with the Stratos?
    I don't think he ever came back, he said there were plenty Euros left over there........

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    First time to watch that all the way, as I was not a player on this deal, that's what a good one sounds like, ya'll.

You can also see how carefull he was with it. One of his 'glass ones has a full competition LeMans spec engine, so he's pretty knowledgable about these cars......

16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato

Art, thansk for showing that video...says alot...the car got all the cookies...you can tell when he pushed in 3rd the sterring wheel was shaking in his hands....hard tires ? maybe more....i hate how some cars come with ZERO records...that to me means it needs everything. Funny enough they didnt show 4th gear, and 5th which would make me think more of a front end issue at higher speeds....plus the worn out sterring wheel ? with 30,000 orignal miles why is the steering wheel melted but the dash and everything else fine then ? hmmm....suspect when i see and hear these things. The engine sounds rough in my opinion compared to mine...sounded fine up in the higher levels, but in the lower was a bit off... All said and done for 35K, was a good buy....you can restore the entire puppy for 100K and enter into the shows, provided it had all the books and tools and a good clean VIN....was a good buy at 35k..too bad you didnt get it...i would have gotten in on it at that price and restored her.....good luck to the new owner.
    Thanks for the video!

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Not tires, that steering wheel shudder is a worn steering rack........no large deal...rebuild it.
    There's an OEM nylon bushing/spacer in it, better replaced with brass......

I think the Missing Records issue was a huge factor in this deal, and the guy wasn't too inclined to pursue them he just wanted it 'gone'......

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's a leather wheel, as you know, so it could not 'melt'....I refinished one of mine and it went really well, persperation and Florida sun took it's toll.

The guys ex-wife/widow had the Records....maybe a little 'pillow time' would have recovered them!
    That's an Enzo tradition, LOL!

I don't think it needed "everything' it just needed the 'normal things'.......

19. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    maybe so....for 35k was the right buy for this car...would have been nicer for less and then get restored....but im sure its found a home somewhere nice for now ;)........anyone know what the VIN showed ?

For me, that car needed everything....no use going in to spend money on a new wheel, the odd bracket...and tid bit....personally im not into that...for me, to have it here, it would have to be restored. Those carbs did not sound right in 1st gear at low rpm when he started to push the car. definetly a mechanics dream kinda of car to play with

20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Steering wheel = leather

Dash = vinyl

You almost have to cut the dash to damage it although one of mine has a slight 'pull' at the glass, not from shrinkage I think it was OEM cutting error.........

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I made note of it at the time....19765 or something like that. I am sure Birdman has it, he really struggled with bagging this one!

22. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    thanks good to know, is the number recorded in the reg yet then ? good to follow it down the road

23. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    I'll see if I can dig up the VIN. The car was interesting in that the whole rear deck was torn off the car while it was being shipped from FL. The deck damaged the roof when it departed the car and was never seen again. The seller originally listed it for $26.5K with a replacement deck in kit form. There were no takers so he mounted the rear deck and fixed the fiberglass and raised the price to $32k FIRM. I was going to have my father look at the car while he was on business in CA (I'm in NJ and have not had the time to travel for pleasure) but it didn't work out. I contemplated my next move and decided to take the plunge, assuming we could get it shipped at a reasonable price. I made the call to discuss this only to learn that the owner has replaced the timing belt and now the car was $33,5K FIRM. This frustrated me as I planned to do the major once I got the car and went through it. This made me delay again and as a result I ended up missing it. Alan, thanks for keeping mum while I tried to make a decision.

Regards,

Art S.

24. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

The guy was very difficult to deal with. His attitude was first one with the cash, will drive home with the car. At the time, he was evasive on the telephone, and would not give a firm price on the car. From several states away, it is not easy to put everything together (mechanical inspection, airline tickets for you and your body man, hotel, rental car, putting the car in storage, wire transfer, time it takes to clear etc...), when the seller refuses to sell it on the telephone pending an inspection. What was the point of putting all of that together, and it would already be gone ?

I pm'd a few people on the board, and then simply gave up after being unable to work with the seller. - Yes if you want to know, Alan was one of the VIPs I contacted !

25. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ralph,

I actually found him pleasant and knowledgeable and very straightforward. He told me 'I think think this is what the car is worth and I'm not in a rush to sell, if you can convince me that the car is not worth what I am asking I'll consider adjusting the price, otherwise it's firm.' For me, it was tough to argue the point considering I'd never seen it and, since he sold it for his asking price, I guess he was right.

Regards,

Art S.