US glass car in latest Hemmings for $37k | Page 3 | FerrariChat

US glass car in latest Hemmings for $37k

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraripilot, Nov 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Art

When I spoke with him, he was at or around the 26K figure. That was b4 he mounted the replacement rear bonnet. The car had just come on the market. He would not put a courtesy hold on the car for a few days, while I began to put the inspection and potential purchase together.

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Wow,

I guess he got nicer at time went by and noone jumped at his car.

Regards,

Art S.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    seeing as this was that wreck for 26K...the 37k price tag is too high, that car was a mess from what i recall on a previous thread.

That car needed to restore...the paint was very bad on it....30,000 miles my arse.

He made a good deal on it after fixing it up abit. Art good thing you didnt pursue it ....shi...tty....deal IMO.

4. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Big Red,

We are talking about two separate cars. The one I was pursuing went for $33.5K.

Regards,

Art S.

5. Cigarpoor

Cigarpoor Karting

Jun 9, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    To end any speculation, I bought that glass 308 from Chris Springer. I normally lurk and do not post, but couldn’t resist talking about it. After two trips to see the car in September, I pulled the trigger and bought it. A few weeks later, I drove the car home to Los Angeles. Most of the major service items and belts have already been completed and the car is currently awaiting paint at a local shop.

Chris is an incredible artesian and really did a bang-up job on the hatch repair. I would have left it for him to paint, but he has plenty of restoration jobs ahead of it, and he accepts nothing less than perfection in his work, which would have resulted in quite a wait. He is also a nice guy and I felt good about the purchase. If I had an unrestored Daytona or Lusso, I know whom I would pay to restore it.

At any rate, the car represents a totally original example of what I think is very desirable model. I will try to track down any service records I can find, but the research I did shows the miles are probably correct based on DMV records. I plan to paint it, leave the balance of the car original, and enjoy it.

Andy

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Andy,

Congratulations! What you said about the car is what I suspected. Unfortunately, I never was able to get to the other coast to check it out.

I hope you put lots of miles on it and have much more pleasure than frustration with it.

Best Regards,

Art S.

7. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Congratulations, Andy! Drive it in good health.

I agree, you now own a fine example of a fiberglass GTB. What required repair was done properly by that shop which is quite familiar with the fiberglass GTB.

Barry

8. Cigarpoor

Cigarpoor Karting

Jun 9, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Barry,

Thanks for your kind words. I couldn't have bought the car if I didnt have absolute faith in the completed repair of the engine cover. It is a good thing that he had two other glass cars to perfect his technique on before mine.

One thing I found is that besides Ferrari-guys, not many people know about the early glass 308's. In advance of the purchase, I called a couple of reputable body shops in town and tried to explain the damage. Most didn't want to touch the repairs and one guy remarked "Fiberglass??? That's a Fiero kit for sure!!!"

I am hoping to have it back on the road by early spring. Maybe sooner

Andy

9. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    I saw the car....flew there from FL. Slept in Chris's house, spent a day with his family. His exceptional cordiality and hospitality shocked me in this day and age. Had to pass up the car cuz of other resasons. It was (is) a complete original. Otherwise, he is the kind of guy you would want to definitely buy from.

Had we not knocked down his car when it first hit the market in Feb for 26,000, he would not have jacked it up to the 32,000 overnight. Its all on record.......

10. 308gts79

308gts79 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2007
    San Francisco/Hong K
    I saw the car in person as well, the car represents itself very well.
    Chris is a great guy. I would not hasitate to buy the car from him. I did not pursue due to a major home remodeling project.
    I am regreting in a way.
    Congrat to the new owner.

11. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Funny....same thing got me, at the time. They were gonna rip the roof off my house for a 2nd story....timing bad. Now Im back, though....LOL

12. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Another one sold !

13. Cigarpoor

Cigarpoor Karting

Jun 9, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Did anyone actually determine the actual sales price of the one in Hemmings?

Andy