US Govt Licensces first private manned rocket | Page 2 | FerrariChat

US Govt Licensces first private manned rocket

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White

That would be the Bachem Natter. Launched from a gantry, it accelerated so fast that it did indeed kill it's first pilot. It was only about 13 feet long, w/ a 7' wing. It was supposed to take off, fire a salvo of unguided rockets at an American bomber, at which point the pilot would pull a lever and the plane would split in 2, and the pilot would would bail out. The forward section would fall to earth via parachute and be re-used. Those Germans certainly were creative. If you really want to see what the were trying to accomnplish, check out the Sanger Antipodal Bomber, which would have launched from German held territory, bombed NY, and returned to it's launch site. All in less than 2 hours.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Sanger was the Kelly Johnson (SR71 designer) of the Nazis, his ideas are still ahead of the time now in 2004. The Antipodal bomber was perhaps the 1st design for a space shuttle. Not sure if Werner had 1 also. Sanger's Antipodal bomber was air launched I believe just like Rutan's SS1

A lot of Nazis went to S America after the war & some aircraft designers started building cutting edge aircraft for the Argentine Air Force in the late 40s. of course Argentina being what it is never saw the usefulness or benefit & the aviation industry dissapeared like almost all other industry in Argentina :(

I think the Brazilians did a lot better & they still have an aviation industry

3. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    a good friend of mine & son of Igor Sikorsky was friends w General Adolf Galland after WW2. Galland was the first jet fighter squadron commander.
    I bet he had some wild stories about ME 262, 109, FW 190s etc

Seems the F22 Raptor may be the last manned fighter jet bcus RC jets may take over bcus the performance will juts be beyond the capacity of the human body. Robot fighter jets would be closer to missiles & could concievably turn far beyond 20G, that would kill any human pilot.

Wonder when we will see Space Fighters ? How about a Spacecraft Carrier like that TV show Above & Beyond or Battlestar Galactica ?

4. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Cool thread.

5. Lee White

Lee White Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Full Name:
    Lee White

The Antipodal bomber would have been launched by being pushed by a rocket sled along a 6 mile long rail, kinda like today's Shuttle, except on a horizontal plane. After reaching take off velocity, the pilot would have pulled up and ignited the planes rocket and continued on to a not-quite-orbital flight.

Kurt Tank, one of the Nazi's favorite aicraft designers, went to Argentina after the war, and brought with him the plans to his Ta-183 jet fighter. The Russians got a hold of copies of these plans, and the MiG-15 was the result. The Argeninian version, called the Pulqui II, was less successful. By the time it flew, Tank had left the country due to changing political winds.

I am impressed with your knowledge of arcane German aviation, William H. It's good to know other folks follow this stuff too! Love the 512TR in your Avatar. Wish I had one!

Lee

6. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks Lee, I'm sort of a WW2 history buff. I like to think that I was a Spitfire pilot in a past life :) Grew up around aviation too. Nikolai SIkorsky is like an Uncle to me so I heard a lot of stories about his father & how he taught himself how to design & fly a helipcopter

7. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Nikolai was also 1 of the people who started me off appreciating cars at a very early age. He had a collection of PCars but he loves my Italian toys

8. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    William, you know Nikoli? (that's his name, correct?).

Burt Rutan is a ROCK STAR. I hope he realizes how many of us there are out there who have dreamed of this day since we could walk.

Intresting choice of propelants he uses.

Godspeed.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Surprised nobody's mentioned what software astronauts still use on laptops, etc....

Windows 95

10. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I wouls imagine SS1 using cutting edge software since Paul Allen is 1 of the backers

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Yes his father & my Grandfather were neighbors in Bridgeport CT long ago and our families have been close since then

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    WIRED mag covered the SS1 last summer & stated that the owner of the 1st Space mining Co will make Gates look like a pauper :)

I think it was Michale Dell or Paul Allen who was commenting on how we could produce a Starship today capable of lightspeed travel. We have the tech and its probably easier than a lot of the electronic miracles we have seen in the 90s. Its just that our supposed leaders have no will, foresight, or ballz & the project would be massively expensive

What better way to employ all those out of work Russian Nuke engineers & employ our own people in something not related to killing other human beings ? I cant cost more than a few Aircraft carriers