US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation... | Page 27 | FerrariChat

US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation...

Discussion in 'F1' started by Simon^2, Jul 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Now that Austin is on the official FIA calendar, will the race really happen?

1. Yes, it will happen.

2. No, no way for construction to finish.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    It is not about the Tarmac but all the earth moving and building the pit area and grandstands. Have you seen the renderings of what they want to build there?

2. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    I understand there's more to it than some asphalt. . . but grandstands, pit areas, support buildings, etc. . . are for the most part pre-fab steel structures that arrive on-site and get bolted to the surface. I know a lot of the facilities are more complex structures, but grandstands and garages aren't on the level of office buildings or apartment complexes.

If a local guy here in New Orleans can reach into his pocket and have a world-class racing facility up and running in a year and a half, I think a project like this with bigger funding and contractual obligations to be open at a given date should have no problem.

3. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    These are the issues most have been having with this venture/project. I must disagree with the implied opinion that it will not happen or the track will not meet it's deadline. I'm an optomist and a Texan so I'm biased but that does not mean I am wrong or dancing in daisy's.

The only real hope we have at a US F1 race in the near future is with Austin.

4. iamthesimpleone

iamthesimpleone Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Ben
    why is it every post with an update here, is followed by 4 or 5 more about why it's not going to happen?? we might as well go back to the old thread title then.....

:(

5. Estranged

Estranged Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    LA
    I'm not a psychologist, but I feel what we are going through is similar to what an orphan child goes through after getting abused and abandoned. What we are doing is pushing the race away before the race can abandon us. We do this because we fear getting our hearts broken again. If you've ever seen the movie Goodwill Hunting, it explains it better. We are Will Hunting and Robin Williams is the Austin GP. Austin GP is trying to show us some love but we rather just make fun of his wife and painting.

6. madmaxatl

madmaxatl Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2007
    Buckhead, Palo Alto
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    Tell us more Freud

7. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    lol

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Unfortunately, I feel as though that's the problem...tooo much red tape in this country

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    After trauma people do tend to be wary. Sometimes they over react. Sometimes the caution is warranted.
    The truth is that everyone here wants a USGP. Most think that Austin will be a great site. But no one can say with certainty that it will happen as planned.
    While we wait we speculate one way or the other. That's just human nature.

10. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    It's only a matter of time...

No money = No track. Not very complicated.

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I like that.

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There is certainly some of that after we saw the scam that USF1 was.

Unfortunately we already see some early signs that all is not well and talk from Tavo about 2013 doesn't instill confidence

13. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    If I have to wait one more year I have not problem with that simply because I just want to see the damn track built as it could host many other forms of racing.

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't have a problem with that either. The question is more whether there would be any money left to finish it for 2013 after they paid Bernies fine.

Also let's not forget all the other failed GPs:
    Mexico, Donington, London, Rome, Switzerland to name a few recent failed attempts

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I forgot about Bernies fine!!! Do you think his wallet is bedazzled and if so it must weigh more than he does lol!

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The only way out I can see in relation to the fine is that Bernie is under pressure by the teams to come up with a US GP. So maybe he would let it go if he sees enough guarantees that the track will be ready in 2013.

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Hope your right and aswell I'm pretty sure/hopeful we will see ALOT of progress over the summer months. Two things that I think led to the slow start was the funding and the crazy Texas weather we have had the past few years. A highend track will be built eventually and really thats all I care about.

18. madmaxatl

madmaxatl Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2007
    Buckhead, Palo Alto
    Full Name:
    Don Johnson
    From what I hear it's bedazzled with conflict diamonds, because the pain and suffering of others physically excites him.

19. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Can anyone answer this?

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Those who know for certain are silent.

21. iamthesimpleone

iamthesimpleone Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The whole no money silly-ness came from a filing with the sec someone dug up:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1514553/000151455311000001/0001514553-11-000001-index.htm

every other mention about the race organizers have been through full throttle promotions. don't think this is directly related to the construction of the main facility.

Also, people are speculating that if he had $$$, progress would be a little bit farther along.

I see the glass half full in all of this; most other's on the forum, are seeing the empty part.....

take it how you want.

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Definitely MY glass is at minimum half full for the project.

23. Duck_Hollywood

Duck_Hollywood Formula Junior

May 21, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    just saw this on espn.com
    link: http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/44985.html

US Grand Prix site on schedule
    ESPNF1 Staff
    April 4, 2011

US Grand Prix organiser Tavo Hellmund and his construction workforce only broke ground on the site in January © US Grand Prix

News: Progress good at Austin's US Grand Prix site
    Circuits: Austin, Texas
    The promoters of the United States Grand Prix say that construction on the new circuit is on schedule, despite clearing work only just being completed.

The track outside Austin is due to host its first grand prix next year and the new circuits in the US and India are being closely monitored following the late completion of the Korean International Circuit for its 2010 race. In Texas, the track outline has already been marked out, and will feature the third greatest change in elevation on the Formula One calendar as the circuit makes use of the contours of the original land.

Despite a lack of any further visible progress, spokesman Jeff Hahn says that all targets have so far been met.

"Right now as it stands, all of our construction milestones are on track," Hahn said. "It's an aggressive schedule. We are planning on a June 2012 opening day. Now it's not unusual. A lot of other tracks like this have been built in the same amount of time."

24. Tifosi15

Tifosi15 Formula 3

Jul 15, 2009
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    It'll be easier to judge when it is a year off, sounds good that the clearing is now done

25. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Good news.
    It would be even more reassuring if it came from an external source.