US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

US GP in Austin Discussion and Speculation...

Discussion in 'F1' started by Simon^2, Jul 5, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Now that Austin is on the official FIA calendar, will the race really happen?

1. Yes, it will happen.

2. No, no way for construction to finish.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The magic will end on Sunday and retreat into its Cinderella sleep for another 4 years.

This WorldCup more than any other I thought some US Americans were on board. I bump into people I never met and they start talking World Cup. It's pretty amazing. It'll never be anything big in the US, but it is nice to meet more people in the know. Just as it is with F1. Or at least so I hope.

Back to Austin and the dreamcastle.

2. Formula1Fan

Formula1Fan Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    I think we should get back to discussing the USGP. If it goes to NJ, does that effect LeBron's decision?

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    All I meant to imply was that the World Cup deserved its own thread ;)
    BTW Germany still has one more game. Sat for third place. (Yes some of us here do follow it)

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #54 tifosi12, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
    Ah yes, that third place medal. Right.

So I take it you also care about the WCC?

The Germans won the Chanson Eurovision this year. That should suffice. ;)

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Let's not take this too far. I draw the line at talent shows. ;)

6. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    The Chanson Eurovision is a classic. Goes back decades, even to my childhood.

L'Allemagne - dix points.
    Deutschland - zehn Punkte.
    Germany - ten points.

By some strange coincidence I seem to always bump into it on my Euro travels: In my hotelroom, clicking through the channels and there it is: The most loathed show on Euro TV. Happened this year again as we bunkered down in our Istanbul Best Western. Sure enough there was Lena Meyer singing "ein bischen Frieden" or something like that...:)

7. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Sounds like something I would have enjoyed immensely in my younger "herbal" days.

8. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    is the next world cup to be played in austin?

9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Similar to how I feel about Hamilton.

10. jenniferq

jenniferq Formula 3

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    3rd place, really?! Does anyone really even remember 2nd in 4?

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Todt casts doubt on Austin USGP
    Thu, 08 Jul 08:30:13 2010 - Crash.net

Jean Todt has cast doubt on whether Formula One will return to the United States of America quite as quickly as anticipated, after admitting that the proposed grand prix in Austin remains 'just a project'.

Speaking to Fox Sports, the Frenchman, now head of the FIA after finding success at Ferrari, echoed other sceptics who believe that the ten-year deal to run a race at a purpose-built venue close to the Texan state capital is not as secure as it first seemed. Even Bernie Ecclestone appears to have reservations, having recently underlined the fact that promoters Full Throttle Productions would face financial penalties should the race not be delivered, as planned, in 2012.

“At the moment, it’s just a project," Todt said of the Austin race, "I don’t think something will happen next year.”

Todt was in the US in a bid to discover why NASCAR had been able to build its championship so successfully, and why F1 had, largely, failed to take off, despite events at iconic venues such as Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Long Beach and Watkins Glen over the years. Ironically, his visit coincided with the revelation that former Long Beach GP chief Chris Pook is involved with another potential USGP project.

With Ecclestone admitting that plans for a race in the New York/New Jersey area is far from dead following the deal with Austin, Pook has confirmed that he is involved with promoters in the region in a bid to bring F1 back to the USA.

Several sites had been rumoured as a potential home for the USGP following Ecclestone's assertion, at the Chinese Grand Prix, that he was talking to at least three candidates, but Liberty Park in Jersey City has already been ruled out, leaving Monticello Motor Club as the only confirmed interest. Pook, who was also involved in the F1 races at Watkins Glen and Detroit, has not revealed which bid he is involved with because of a non-disclosure agreement, but reports suggest it could be another location in New Jersey altogether.

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Interesting that he's involved again - At least he's done it before, so knows something of what he's getting involved with.....

Cheers,
    Ian

13. Formula1Fan

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    #63 Formula1Fan, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    Why would Todt need to visit the US to determine why NASCAR is popular here, and not F1? The real question is, 'why is F1 popular with those of us that do follow it?' NASCAR has a pack of cars inches from each other roaring around the track bumping each other and passing constantly; it has American cars; it has American drivers; it has lots of races televised during times when people are up to watch them on TV; and it has a 'minor league' system of local races people can attend and develop an interest in both the series and the drivers. Oh yeah, tickets don't cost a week's pay either. Again, the sensible question is 'why do I follow F1 instead of NASCAR?

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Because you are smart.

15. Formula1Fan

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    With all due respect, my point was that Todt should be finding out why Americans who do follow F1 do so, not what's up with NASCAR. None of the things I listed about NASCAR are about to happen with F1, so find out what is appealing to those of us who do follow F1 in the US and then figure out how to market it to more people here.

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #66 tifosi12, Jul 8, 2010
    I was serious in my answer.

F1 is for people who appreciate high tech, complex strategies, big drama politics, global exposure with culture, tracks and drivers. Plus folks who have a sense of history and know exotic cars.

Compare these statements to NASCAR and you realize the delta.

CART in it's best days was the closest to F1 but then came the split. NASCAR has none of that.

That said NASCAR does have things F1 could use: fan access and less protocol (eg donuts) that is refreshing. Bernie gets in the way there

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    JT was looking at a successful business plan. A fan base is only one (albeit crucial) component of that.

18. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    It is a bit like comparing World Championship boxing to WWE wrestling. One is a challanging sport that requires significant preparation, the other is a show. While there is no doubt talent in both, technicality and real drama is better than manufactured drama and cult of personality.

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Indeed.

But which is which in this case? To say F1 doesn't have artificially created drama and a cult of personality is a bit disingenuous.

20. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat

Excellent post here!

21. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #71 Ney, Jul 8, 2010
    Touche! I think there is less artificial drama on track in F1....plenty of political intrigue outside of the racing, true....but F1 does not have artifical yellows to bunch up the field to "improve the race". This has clearly happened in NASCAR....Bill France Sr. dropping a watch from the flag stand to get a debris yellow being one example.

As far as the cult of personality, drivers are the primary focus of the fans in NASCAR, teams and cars less so. This has been trending this way for years. Moving from the Ford vs Chevy battles of the past when cars were truely more stock (win on Sunday, sell on Monday) to the sillouette cars of today (FWD production cars vs RWD tube frame race cars), you are left with a focus on the drivers.

As far as the technical nature of the cars, there is no contest. One continues to push envelopes of aero, materials, safety, horsepower production, induction, gearbox design, data collection and transmission. The other utilizes well researched and proven technologies, that is stable and well understood.

Both have intresting and varied history. While both involve racing of cars, they are really not the same sport. While I may have a preference of one over the other, I am in the minority. NASCAR is far more popular in the US than F1. I would venture that there are more wrestling fans, than there are boxing fans too.

22. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Excuse my little tweek but sometimes we F1 fans think that the sport is a bit purer than it is.
    On the specific points you are, of course, correct.

23. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    No worries. :) It is easy to fire off a pithy post, but sometimes it requires more thought to back it up and that is not a bad thing to be required to do.

Both have their "impurities", it is just one is a bit more elegant than the other. Spygate and industrial espionage vs. tryin' to sneak one over on the tech inspectors.

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Chacun a son gout
    or
    whatever floats your boat.

Back to the point. JT came over to learn how Nascar works not to poach fans. When it comes to marketing motor sports there isn't that much difference. Rule one is to know and respect your audience. Something that Nascar does much better than F1 does.

25. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    i describe the difference thusly; nascar is checkers, f1 is chess. nascar is clogging, f1 is ballet. nascar is chopping wood, f1 is fencing. nascar appeals to the lowest denominator, f1 requires abstract thought. nascar is familiar. the cars look like what people see every day so it's non threating. f1 cars are exotic in appearance, the drivers have funny names and speak with accents. it's foreign so it's automatically bad. sadly; never the twain shall meet