US speeding tickets - do points transfer to Canadian Licence? | FerrariChat

US speeding tickets - do points transfer to Canadian Licence?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by donnie, May 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. donnie

donnie Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2008
    As thread title says - whats the situation?

Nice

2. ToddB

ToddB Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver B.C./OC
    Full Name:
    Todd
  3. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    no but if you do not pay them don't travel to the state where you received the ticket for FIVE years otherwise you WILL BE ARRESTED and thrown in jail, trust me I can't go to new york state for another 4 years;)

4. rhyno

rhyno Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    As james said. If you don't pay your US ticket then the State that you got the ticket in will issue a warrant for your arrest. Next time you get pulled over in that state...you will be going to jail.

5. jamie140

jamie140 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2004
    GTA/Marco Island, fl
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    You guys are wrong.

A number of US states have reciprocal agreements with Ontario such that points can be deducted from your ontario license for offences in those states.

6. Forza-Italia

Forza-Italia Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Joe
    ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!! ...If you have a ticket involving points in most of the U.S. states......they ARE registered on your Ontario driver's license.

7. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    The "five year rule" does not apply to all states. Traffic violations and non-payment of fines may be treated differently by each state.

8. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    there was a big debate about this in a thread posted in the Northwest section. I don't think you get arrested as it is such a minor infraction, and the points do not go on your record. This is what Roy had to say about it:

9. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    damn now you guy's have got me nervous! are you sure? is their somewhere that say's this for sure? maybe a government website or something? i'm going to call my girls at the ministry of tuesday and have them find out, I have a ticket I got last summer when I went to North Carolina to pick up some cars(ticket was in new york state though)

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Roy is wrong about that, at least as far as Texas goes. A warrant -will- be put out if you fail to appear for a traffic ticket, and if you're pulled over again you'll be in jail.

11. niklas

niklas Formula 3

Apr 25, 2008
    Chilliwack BC
    Full Name:
    N. Olafsson
    Perhaps he is referring to Washington or Oregon, as that's where he is. Could be different in other States as you say

12. prova4re

prova4re Karting

Nov 23, 2003
    Ontario Canada
    I got tickets in Nevada, AZ, Montana, and New York and they all came up on my drivers license in Ontario, but there are a few states that don't transfer.
    All the tickets came up as general speeding, even the ticket I got for going to slow in the passing lane in Colorado.

13. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    #13 JamesSimpson, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
    just great, i got a couple of notices in the mail about paying them but nothing from the ontario government, i'm going to pull a drivers abstract.

EDIT!! ACTUALLY my girlfriend just reminded me that I never got anything in the mail only she did!! she replied back quilty and a few weeks later we both got a LETTER in the mail saying we were found guilty but they NEVER sent me anything, just the letter saying I was quilty! and if they try and dick around we still have something showing they had to sign to recieve my plea.

14. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Yes they do transfer...At least from NY State to Quebec...Trust me...I know!

15. VanCooper

VanCooper Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2002
    They don't transfer between Washington state and Quebec...

16. donnie

donnie Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2008
    http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/demerit.shtml

Got this info from someone over on radardetectors.net

Looks like only only New York and Michigan have a reciprocal agreement with Ontario.

Now next years gumball ending in New York I may need to transfer my license to a different province hahah.

17. JamesSimpson

JamesSimpson F1 Rookie

Jun 29, 2005
    Toronto,CANADA
    Full Name:
    James Simpson
    actually I called my local police division(53) and asked about my situation and yes NEW YORK tickets DO TRANSFER points, damnit!

18. prova4re

prova4re Karting

Nov 23, 2003
    Ontario Canada
    #18 prova4re, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    Here is how it works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

"After the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, the Joint Executive Board strengthened driver license security provisions in the DLA,
    Unlike the DLC and NRVC, the Provinces/Territories of Canada and the States/Federal District of Mexico can participate in the DLA. The Drivers Privacy Protection Act"

Ontario does participate. :(

All those tickets that I got were on Gumball and Players Run.