News

355 US to European spec tail light turn signal conversion

Discussion in '348/355' started by ruey220, Feb 8, 2020.

1. ruey220

ruey220 Karting

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    #1 ruey220, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    If anyone is interested to do a conversion to US spec to European spec tail lights, at least for the turn signal and brake lights, I've recently done it and it is very simple with the purchase of the European tail lights assembly to get the bases that accept the turn signal bulb. The US tail light housings still can be retained, you just need to punch out the cover which is perforated inside the center on the existing US spec tail light.

I did this modification since I prefer having the amber turn signals in the defunct white center of the outside tail lights which have no use in the NA spec tail lights. Also the brake lights are now on the outer tail lights, so they work with the same dual filament bulbs which served as parking light and turn signal.

Just throw in an amber LED bulb in the new base for the turn signal, and it works just like normal once you change the pin outs on the base. The brake light and parking light now also works with the outer tail lights just like the Euro spec lights, the only thing lacking with this setup is the inner tail rear fog light as found on the euro spec cars.

The overall installation took around 30 minutes once I figured how everything works, I can post the pin outs for the wire which is a straight forward swap and can be reversed just as easy if anyone interested to do the conversion.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yassa and Qavion like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you find a cheap tool for swapping over the wires, Ruey?

Also, what brand/type of yellow LED did you use for the turn lights. I see it didn't affect the flash rate.

4. ruey220

ruey220 Karting

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM

It is very simple to remove the wires. Literally took 5 seconds each once you find the clips on the harness just lift it with a small flathead then pull the wire out cleanly. It also just slips and snaps into the new hole

I have the scud ing led blinkers so it takes out the hyper flashing concern. I will post pics of the led bulbs plus the pic of the harness how to remove the wires when I get home.

Qavion likes this.
  5. ruey220

ruey220 Karting

May 24, 2019
    Sf bay area
    Full Name:
    RM
    This is the led lights I used for the turn signals.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173685602939

Image Unavailable, Please Login

For the removal of the wires just lift the black tab a bit then pull on the wire from the harness it should slide out really easily. To insert in the hole just slide back in and it will auto clip.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

These are the wire positioning using the euro tail light bases. This is the left side tail lights. The other side is basically turned upside down.

Qavion likes this.
  6. Qavion

Qavion F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks for the explanation and photos, Ruey.

Bookmarked for future reference. Cheers.

7. To remove this ad click here.