USA FERRARI F40 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

USA FERRARI F40

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by joe sackey, Jul 6, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    here here
    and the fact we can debate like adults is what raises this place above other forums ive seen.

if they sold 220 US spec cars and thats generous joe as you already said a lower number then they would need to be making more than $54,500 per car to make any sort of profit

if thats the case its likely the US F40 was a loss leader or break even car.
    im just not sure i susbscribe to the "homage to the biggest market" theory
    id see it more a sop to keep people happy and encourage them to buy more of the regular production models

i woudnt disagree that its an intentional series - just that its not a desired one, eg the factory im sure would rather have kept the $12M and sold the same spec car to everyone

no worries.
    im just gald to be on a forum with ppl like yourself who are willing to share and debate their knowledge and experiences with others

2. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The difference in price between a 1987 Euro spec F40 and a 1992 US spec car is more than $150,000 - more than enough to account for the approx $50,000 per us car that was invested by Ferrari to meet US regulations. This of course completely discounts the notion that the investment in meeting the US regulations gave Ferrari a much clearer path to creating US spec cars after the F40, with minimal additional R&D regarding US specific requirements.
    Ferrari may be arrogant, stubborn, driven by their racing needs etc etc, but they are not stupid. Luca Cordero de Montezemolo, who began his Ferrari career in the 70's managing the F1 team, is probably the smartest business executive in Italy today and I would imagine his visionary qualities and foresight were key to the kinds of spending decisions that resulted in a US spec F40 - a far better car than the Euro version IMVHO.

3. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    might be a better comparison to use prices from the same actual period

how
    im sure they were well aware of the rules etc regardless of the f40.
    and werent they already producing other US spec cars anyways ?

far uglier car thats for sure - but horses for courses, beauty in eye of beholder etc etc
    anyway im sure you and joe are right and it was probably better in some areas - after all it had 4 or 5 yrs worth of on the road developmnents and advances to utilise

out of interest were any of these modifcations passed over to other markets F40's or was it not deemed necessary ?

oh and yes de montezemola is a smart cookie thats for sure.

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    How in the world does a few small bumperettes, side markers and a bigger chin spolier make it "far uglier"? I'll admit, I prefer the looks of the Euro cars, but come on the US cars are 99% the same! And equally great!

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

They did. At over $415k US MSRP, the USA F40 was circa $140k more expensive than the Euro car. Ferrari didnt give them away and in fact made a tidy sum on each car Im sure.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed 100%.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Absolutely disagree with your personal & subjective opinon.
    Truthfully, to me the USA car's front end looks darker, meaner, more menacing and thus more purposeful. The front chin spoiler alone gives it a more suggestive & aggressive disposition, sort of like the original F40LMs. Sorry, I honestly prefer the USA car, by quite a bit. Dont get me wrong, I admire Euro cars too. I just PREFER USA cars.

I took a look at my F40 today, and as usual I thought: Oh. My. God. That does it for me....

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

8. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    One item in US spec F40's, the aluminum fuel tanks, versus the Euro rubber fuel bladders, is worth the extra money alone. The improved crash protection especially on the doors is another worthy innovation. Euro safety standards in the 80's and nineties lagged behind US specs. Today the Euro specs, especially due to the Euro parliament creating continent wide regulations, are more aggresive and a Euro spec car is likely to be as safe if not safer than a US spec car.

During the eighties certain Euro brands like Mercedes built all of their cars to US specs and German specs were very similar to the US. Italy on the other hand was not quite as diligent back then. The EU has come a long wayin bringing standartds in the previously second tier Euro economies in line with the best standards in the world.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    ... I dont.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

10. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    it looks to me like a childs added it.

i'll get me coat

11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey

12. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    touche - youve got me there.

not something i can do at present

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #138 joe sackey, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    now from that angle the spoiler does look good. :D

15. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Joe - is that my car at Concorso Arizona?

16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think so because the sender says it was the Arizona Concours.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    OK we are winning you over :)

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

18. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Joe,

The original of anything is always the best.

Indeed, the Mona Lisa presently within the Louvre would not be improved by an American F-40's style moustache.

19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Good point.... although an interesting idea that I may try and implement next time I visit the Louvre. It may make Mona Lisa's face gain that character it seems to be currently missing :)

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

20. carsinxs

carsinxs Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2007
    On The Fence
    Full Name:
    H
    weak comparison. Mona Lisa is one of one. lets go the opposite direction-original car? plane? lawnmower? toaster? human?

Any of these better than the original today?

21. menoy

menoy F1 Rookie

Mar 12, 2005
    PL
    Full Name:
    MRodziewicz
    What does this improved crash protection consist of (never heard before)? Also, is there any weight penalty due to it?

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed. I think with benchmark post-war sports cars, developed versions end up being better cars.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

23. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I am compiling a list of all of the improvements/developments that went into the USA car and that is one of them. Im sure there was a weight penalty of sorts but due to emissions tuning the USA cars developed circa 515bhp which compensated for it Im sure.

Joe
    www.joesackey.com

24. 512Tea Are

512Tea Are F1 Rookie

Apr 22, 2004
    Dear Comrade Joe,

Are we to presume from this that there is an underlying admission here that the later F-40's are indeed better than those that went before and which the artisans at the factory practiced upon prior to making the final rendition - the 1992 Euro F-40 ;-)

With kind regards,

512 Tea Are

25. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    He's not saying that the later ones are "better" they just had SOME improvements....