USA Side Marker Lights or No? | FerrariChat

USA Side Marker Lights or No?

Discussion in '206/246' started by 365GTC, Jul 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365GTC

365GTC Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Lexington, Virginia
    Am repainting 04472 (72 GTS White/Red) which have owned since 1995 and is a keeper. The previous owner deleted the side marker lights for a nice, clean look. I prefer stock from a purist standpoint, but the clean lines uninterrupted by the mandated lights make this decision a little more difficult, irrespective of whether the car is shown or not.

Thoughts?

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Looks better without, worth more with.

3. MarkT

MarkT Karting

Jun 7, 2004
    mountains-NC
    Full Name:
    Mark Turczyn
    Build it the way you like it-- The welded in rectangles can be cut back out with minimum drama provided the welder knows how to butt-weld with minimal distortion and filler bodywork.

4. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Aside from the aspect of originality (not for purpose of increased value, but for its own sake), my opinion is that the recessed marker lights give dimension to the body, and relieve the voluptuousness of the round Dino body shape. That may sound blasphemous to some, but remember that the factory blacked out the rocker panels, first up to the crease line, then half-way up to the door bottoms, to visually lower and lengthen the body section. This may be considered "trickery," but I believe that it is an illustration of Pininfarina's design genius. Fred

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I can't imagine how a Fiat parts bin sourced rectangular marker light cut into the side of a car that is almost all curves had any Pininfarina input or genius. Those lights are a quicky attempt by Ferrari to make the car legal for the US and are hideous from any angle.

Back to the OP I would say have the car the way YOU like it. As you say it is a keeper so affecting value means nothing and un-doing it is not a big deal should you need or want to sell later on.

6. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I welded mine shut and put the euro makers back in.
    Much better looking, although mine was a euro spec car, so it's back to original.

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Yuck - RUINED Italian car design genius on every level, every car they required them on...ESPECIALLY the beautiful Dino. I have to admit I do like the way small round Carello's look on many cars, the euro solution, when on fronts mostly and some rears. It's a car by car thing with me. Same with overriders. I like them on the front of 901 Porsches, and don't like them on many, again car by car.

With Dino, euro spec - front round Carello's, flush front lenses on frunk (front trunk) and covered headlights for my preferred look.