Used Ferraris in Bangkok all gone? | FerrariChat

Used Ferraris in Bangkok all gone?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by newfer, Apr 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. newfer

newfer Karting

Jun 3, 2004
    Just came back from a 2 day visit to Bangkok and was wondering where the sports car shoowrooms have gone? Before when I was stationed in Bangkok there were many in Rachadar Street. Now I only saw only one 360 . I plan to come back to Bangkok in a few months time and hopefully (Wishing) buy a 360M any idea in price and availability?
    Thanks for any help and advice.

2. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    you buying it for export or local use.
    You can buy it from HK or Singapore if its for export.

3. newfer

newfer Karting

Jun 3, 2004
    Its for use in Thailand. I will be moving back in July. Ive just sold my condo in Hawaii and will spend some of the proceeds on the 360M.

4. theera

theera Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    The Big Mango
    FYI buying for export wouldn't make sense since the ponies in Thailand have all had import taxes of +300% already charged....hence, when new 360 Modenas' were US$445,000 each and Spiders were US$ 475,000 each.

5. theera

theera Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    The Big Mango
    You're in the wrong place, need to join the www.ferrariclubthailand.com forum. Plenty of advice or where to get your pony and at what price. By the way, theyr'e having their 11th birthday during the weekend of 27 -28 May, around 50 ponies expected so perhaps there will be your future ride there....

Good luck

6. newfer

newfer Karting

Jun 3, 2004
    Thanks for the info. Ill check out the site. BTW is there a fee to join?

7. theera

theera Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    The Big Mango
    Thanks for your enquiry about joining Ferrari Club Thailand. For your info, there's a Membership Fee of Baht 3,500 (US$ 88) for the first year and Baht 2,500 (US$ 63) for the following years. In return for the Membership Fee you recieve the following:

1. You get to attend the 8 or more events
    2. You get the year's Club polo shirt
    3. You get a copy of the year's Club DVD
    4. You get a copy of the year's Mondiali magazine
    5. You get an invitation to the New Year party
    6. You get to enjoy the special corp. rates at various hotels & resorts
    7. You get special deals on the purchase of the Club's wines
    8. You get to hang out with like minded people

Hope to see you as a Member

Oh, there's no fee for joining the forum through the website

8. GXI328

GXI328 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    I bought a 328GTS in England and after we lost the contract there I shipped to Australia via Malaysia. Whilst in Malaysia I had some minor bodywork done and was surprised at how cheap it was for skilled labour. I brought the parts into Malaysia in my luggage avoiding the very high local duties.
    I was recently involved in a major car accident and expect the car to be written off. I may be allowed to keep the wreck but repair costs in Australia are prohibitive. The car was a mechanical cherry and as she was great mechanically, perhaps it is viable to get the body repaired in Asia.
    Are there any workshops in Thailand that could competently carry out an extensive body repair ?
    Are there duties payable on Ferrari parts imported for re-export later ?
    I have only seen the car once (briefly) since the accident and have not yet recieved the assessor's report. The damage is the windscreen forward as well as the left side where she got t-boned. The front left wheel station also appears to have sustained structural damage. The front spoiler disintergrated into a thousand pieces.
    I drove the car from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket in May or June in 2004, apart from the airconditioning failure it was an awesome trip.
    Owen

9. theera

theera Formula Junior

May 6, 2004
    The Big Mango

There are 4 capable garages in Bangkok where repairs on Ferraris are regularly done from simple retouching of paintwork to serious crash damage repair. The price for repairs is an average US$175 (low) - US$300 (high) per body panel, this includes labour and PPG paint & treatment as per spec of the factory. For the entire car, it would put you back US$2,000 (low) - US$4,000 (high). Unfortunately, you can't get around the tax thing which would take time to arrange, and no garage would assist you with that since the proc3ess is complicated with up to 50% tax & duties to be billed.

10. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Hi Owen, sorry to her about the 328. If you get enough insurance payment, maybe you can send it back to Thailand or Malaysia to get it done but the bottom line is if it's worth it even if it's fixed. Sounds like the chassis has been compromised but I'm sure they can weld some anti-roll cage to strengthen the body again & I remember there is a 328 body in the ferrariads in this forum which includes all the panels & there's a few scrapyards around in US/UK where you can get the subframe, trans, engine etc. I would believe paint/body job to be reasonable there. I'm sending my 911 for a baremetal paint job & treating some corrosion in KL while other workshops will do the engine etc.

11. GXI328

GXI328 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    "Is it worth it ?"
    That's what the insurance company has to decide.
    If they do write off the car I have the option of retaining the wreck. I could sell the wreck for parts or....
    If I ship the Canadian "shell" from Steve and my wreck to the same shop in Bangkok I have three months on a carnet to get the vehicle drivable and drive it over a border or ship it back to Australia (or the UK).
    I saw the wreck today, the left wheel station is broken off, minor panel damage starts at the left rear tyre and runs half way up the passenger door. The entire front end requires realignment and new panels. The fibreglass spoiler (and wheel well) disintergrated along with all the lights. The targa roof popped when the windscreen bent and cracked, which may indicate other structural problems around the firewall. Both doors open and close. The radiator might be salvagable.
    She's a good car from the steering wheel back. If the insurance people see it my way I could have my cake and eat it too.
    If you are not too squeemish I can post some pictures the tow truck driver snapped.
    Do the 'capable garages' in Thailand have websites ? 'Phone numbers ? Names ?

12. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    morbid fascination.... of course we want to see them! :(

where/when did this happen, adelaide?

13. SFchallenge

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Yah, send the pictures over. Sounds like it'll do better & easier if you sell for parts. The engine & tranny + interior alone is worth quite a few grand. Not to mention the window regulators etc. But if you are a brave soul & that car is sentimental, put it back to life.

Few workshops in Thailand speak English, let alone websites unless you have a local Ferrari enthusiast to help you. It'll be tough. Or you can even hire a tour guide & work things out. Money works! Malaysia would be easier & I don't think the labour would cost much more than Thai & you might be able to save a little from shipping but they have a habit to tax on auto parts but you can work that out. If you're really keen, I can PM you the person to contact, speaks English & works on Ferraris.

14. GXI328

GXI328 Rookie

Jun 5, 2006
    #14 GXI328, Jun 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had brought the car to Sydney to show some potential buyers. Business hasn't been so good and I need the cash.
    If the insurance company writes it off I'll have some of the cash and a perhaps a wreck to play with.
    The English language thing may be a deciding factor. I can speak some Bahasa Malay but thought "Next Car" was the only place doing Ferrari bodywork. Send me details ! I can work out the duty and taxes thing with the local trade consulates. If the parts are for eventual re-export then they should be duty free.
    If I can get the car moving in under three months then I cross a border and get another three months. By then business should have improved so I can decide to keep or sell.
    The Ford ute in this picture is the second car to hit, the first car has firemen trying to prise open the door to remove the driver.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. SFchallenge

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Oh f*** which idiot did this? I hope you aren't the driver are you? At least the badge is intact! One of the headlamp & that lower cluster as well. Looks like first 1/3 is gone. I guess you found the guy who had the shell & frame for sale right? Let's hope the insurance pay enough whatever it becomes. They might want it for themselves!

I'll shoot you the PM later.