used maserati prices | FerrariChat

used maserati prices

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by flyguyskt, Mar 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flyguyskt

flyguyskt Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2009
    South Dakota
    Full Name:
    sean
    so why is it that the prices of newr models are so reasonable. in looking i have found several 2005 gran sports in the mid 30's to the mid 40's.

any insight to as why so affordable for an exotic?

2. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Because they cost a furtune to repair and maintain. I just sold my 2005 Coupe with 29k miles for $30k and couldn't be happier. I absolutely hated that car, not only because it cost me $30k to own for three years, but because it was just no fun to own. My girlfriend never got used to the flappy paddles, I now got her a Mercedes SL and she is MUCH more comfortable in it.

3. Andrew Armitage

Andrew Armitage Karting

Oct 28, 2009
    Plainfield, IL
    Full Name:
    Andrew Armitage
    Well I love my '04 Coupe. I picked it up for a bargain so I'm not hurting the way some are who have held on to their cars while the prices dropped like a rock. But understand that the maintenance and repairs are quite costly. The clutches in the F1 cars only last about 20k miles, give or take, and that is a $4K + bill. Just know that you can plan on $3k a year maintenance costs.

Qualified service outside the dealer is hard to find too.

Check out ************.com for more discusion about this topic.

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Is the 20k miles typical of a car driven in auto or manual mode? Mostly city or highway miles?

I suppose if you drove lots of stop-and-go in auto mode the life would be less as with a normal stick, but if you primarily used it as a "grand touring" car with nice trips in the country and interstate in manual mode wouldn't it last much, much longer?

thanks in advance

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    i now have 25k on the od. great car mine is a cc 02 spyder. sure there are cost. since i alone drive the car my cost is very little. mpg 20 on hwy. 12-14 in town, but i run stop light to-- well you understand. when my employees drove the car i had lots of cost issues. clutch was #1 not since

6. Andrew Armitage

Andrew Armitage Karting

Oct 28, 2009
    Plainfield, IL
    Full Name:
    Andrew Armitage
    20k miles for the clutch (on a Coupe anyways) seems to be the average. Some people who drive lots of highway miles get more mileage, as the trans. isn't engaging the clutch as much).

Auto mode burns the clutch up pretty fast and shouldn't be used often (it even states it in the manual). Engaging the Sport mode makes shifting quicker and reduces wear on the clutch too. Reverse is bad. Reversing up an incline is horrible on the clutch. Installing a DBW module from Formula Dynamics changes the way the clutch is engaged and will save clutch wear. And having the PIS adjusted regularly will save clutch life too. I haven't heard of anyone getting more than 30k miles out of one in any case. It's a cost of driving a Mas. I guess.

And one more issue, the parts themselves are expensive. I paid $500 for front brake pads (I changed them myself). An oil change at at the Mas / Ferrari Dealer will run about $400.

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So there aren't any aftermarket pads yet?

Why can't you change the oil & filter yourself?

Bob S.

8. HREU

HREU Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Florida and Turin
    Full Name:
    Ed Colburn
    If you are owner #1 of ANY new car...but, especially a high end car (like the Maser) you will get slaughtered when it comes to resell. So, buy use...always.

Our 06 GS was $110k new....bought it in late 08 for $51.
    4500 miles, near perfect.

The cars has no known 'issues'. No defects, no leaky this or that. Many people have higher miles on their modern Maserati's and have no expenses vs an like high end car. (MB or BMW)
    Notice on the Maserati boards the only occasional issue that a member may be asking advice on is when they have an older car. Go to ANY car board and you will have the same types of issues...for older cars.

I don't get the whole constant *****ing about the clutch wear (F1 on F-Cars and Maserati's...E-Gears on Lambos). Do they wear out with miles...like brake pads, like oil, like tires...etc...of course. You can have a local independent replace the clutch for around $4k. Expect the clutch to last 15-25k depending on use.

Maserati's are simply the most gorgeous cars in their class. Our 06 Gransport puts a smile on my face everytime. I can not say the same for ANY modern German car.

9. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    #9 TravisJ, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    Cheap to buy, expensive to maintain (properly)

18K-22K seems to be average for clutch replacement for a mixed use city/highway car. My car's first clutch was replaced just before 13K miles. I have about 9K on the second clutch with about 50% wear.

EBC makes pads but I recommend the pads offered by www.formuladynamics.com

Oil can be changed yourself if you had a lift or could otherwise get the car up high enough. Formula Dynamics offers complete oil change kits for under $150.

Buying new makes sense for those with the means and the desire to spec out their car exactly as they want it.

10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Does the clutch on a regular stick car last longer with normal use?

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Search can be your friend. There are plenty of threads about how FNA blew it when the original Maser couple was introduced in 2002. Long story short, FNA tried to sell a car that was worth maybe $70k for $90K. If it had been possible to go short against the box, a bunch of us would have made millions.

Bottom line is Maser never recovered. Today, a Grandsport really is worth $120k, which is the same price as a tricked out 911. However, there are thousands of former Maserati owners who will never even look at the new car because they got beat up so bad.

Dale

12. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am an original owner of a 2006 Gransport. It is my everyday driver in Los Angeles. I park it almost anywhere and generally don't worry about it. Lot's of stop and go freeway activity as well as a couple of trips to Carmel. 35,455 miles and still on the original clutch. The car has been amazing and very fun to drive. I think it is now one of the best bargains on the market. You can buy a really nice one for $40 to 50k and enjoy the excitement and thrill of an Italian exotic. Always gets attention and yesterday it was parked up front at the Beverly Hills Hotel. All very fun. Just an FYI

PS, the new 458 looks terrific.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Which model did you own?

Bob S.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have a 2002 spider that I bought new-- and it's fantastic. I've had basically no mechanical problems with it since the first few months of ownership. I've replaced a couple of batteries and done the routine service. I just had the dealer look it over and aside from needing a front wheel alignment, it needed nothing.

The car is easy to drive, has plenty of power, looks great (I still get asked about it where ever I drive it), and is not expensive to maintain as exotics go. I just do an annual oil service for about 400 bucks. The 18K service cost me like $1100 from the dealer which comparied to Ferrari is cheap.

My gearbox (as where I assume all 2002's) has upgraded software and a newer style clutch replaced by the dealer. Is it perfect? No, but neither is my F430. I never use Auto mode as it's just horrible. But the paddle shifting is smooth and easy to do. For an around the town car, it's great.

What I like about it is that I can jump in it and go anywhere and treat it like any normal car. But, when you take it out on say -- a date -- it's much more impressive than your average Merc or BMW. People do give it more respect.

I've put the top up and down literally hundreds of times and it never fails. Even my F430 needs a helping hand now and then.

Once I took it to a BMW dealer to check on some service on my Mini. It attracted quite a crowd, even from the sales people. It's still pretty rare and most really love the interior and styling. I wouldn't trade it for a 6 series convertible under any circumstance.

To me, it's a great machine. Ok it devalued $75K in my 8 years of ownership. But, tell me what other $100K car doesn't devalue a lot in 8 years.

If I were to sell my car for $25 grand, tell me what other car I would be able to buy for that amount of money. My Mini cost more than that new. If you look at it this way, the Maser is quite a bargin. And, it has a fantastic engine. I'm sure everyone can agree on that.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I had a 2004 Vintage Spyder. Great car. The V8 was great. F1 was okay, but at least as good as the one in a F360. The vintage package in maroon and tan was gorgeous. I have always thought Maseratis were better looking than Ferraris, particularly the interiors. The car was a great driver because the wheelbase was shorter than the coupe.

I brought the car in early 2005 for $60K, which was its wholesale price at that time, when it had 3200 miles. I drove it for about six or seven months and then sold it for $60K. I was afraid prices were going to tank, and, sure enough, they did. I'm guessing this same car is maybe worth $30k today.

I still search Ebay for the 2004/2006 Spyders and get tempted from time to time. However, I was told the top became a PIA for this car, and Maser no longer makes replacement parts. You have to buy the whole thing. I dunno if true or not. But I gotta tell you, I'd love to own this car again.

Dale

16. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    Clutch wear is about the same with both transmission types. In reality, every car is driven differently.

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You seem to be bipolar about this car. I'm not sure why you expect these cars to continue to hold their value. Mercedes don't either. Service is always going to be difficult when compared to a Bimmer, Mercedes or Porsche because there are so few dealers and the dealers who sell much fewer cars still need to eat. You sign up for that when you make the decision to buy. If the F1 was as good as in the Ferrari (not certain about that) then I'm not sure how Maserati screwed up. It was a very old styling design by the time it hit the shores here in the USA. It's no house of fire and the Honda Prelude tail light change didn't help. It was rumoured for many years before the release of the 3200GT that they were going to produce a completely new car at about $70KUS. I don;'t think they were able to meet that price point. But my impression is that this is probably as close to a regular "real" car as Maserati has ever gotten. It's not particulary my cup of tea (yes I have driven a couple of them) but It's much better put together than their 70's GT cars or the later twin turbo cars both of which I own and find more entertaining to drive. As you say they represent quite a bargin except for the cost of dealer service. Maserati has a history of dropping parts production except for entire assemblies which I suspect is an effort to boost profit. Hey, they're a very small company.

Ferrari has a very unique market position. If you want that sort of retention of value then buy one. They are also a lot more money and very different cars. The last two cars released by Maserati are IMHO a lot better looking than Ferrari has produced in a while.

Bob S.

18. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I had an early 2002 Spyder back when they were first released. I loved the styling and power train but that car suffered from material cowl/steering column shake. It really took away from the driving experience and the dealer had no fixes. Getting out of that car after about 12 months was expensive - but so it is with virtually every car (save Ferrarrs back in that economy).

IMO, the values of all modern Masers have been hurt by the lack of any factory sponsored extended warranty. It's not just that it's not available, it makes one think about why the manufacturer won't stand behind the car after 4 years. I have a Gran Turismo that I love and that has been trouble free for 2 years and 20k miles, but I like my cars to be under warranty and as of now there is no option on the table for me to extend it.

19. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Big fan of the GranTurismo, but not so much the GranSport...I think it has something to do with the tail lights or maybe just the whole tail end of the car. Never driven one or sat in one, just seen several of them.

I drove an '07 (or '08?) auto GT that I just fell in love with! Room for 4, GORGEOUS inside and out, and pretty damn fast w/ that 400 hp Ferrari engine. Man, I would LOVE to have one of those as a DD!! What a car!

20. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    A GranSport with a 6spd would be the ticket for me. I have to think clutch life is better with the stick?

21. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I'm almost certain all GranSports were cambiocorsa equipped. Clutch life is supposed to improve when using it in the faster shift setting.

22. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    The gransport is a slightly modified coupe.
    I have a 6 m/t and would get a gransport because I prefer shifting for myself.

I put some used Gransport rear mufflers on it to give it some more presence.
    The only other part from the gransport that I would change out is the seats.

23. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Your correct. All CC's, none are 6spd. Still i wish there was.

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I had an '04 coupe, and currently have an '06 GranSport.

The GS is a much tighter car than the CC.
    My GS has been almost flawless (when new had a tranny problem replaced under warranty), now has 29K miles and it an absolutely gorgeous DD.

I swear it is just about as fast as my 550 off the line because you can just stomp on it and let the tranny do the blindingly fast upshifts at redline.

I really don't care what it is worth or how much I have "lost." I love the car and would only sell to make room for a new toy in the garage.

All the posts/threads about depreciation on FChat, money lost, etc. really are tiresome.