Using a high voltage outlet to connect battery tender | FerrariChat

Using a high voltage outlet to connect battery tender

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mobfigr, Mar 1, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mobfigr

Mobfigr Rookie

Jan 4, 2017
    Hi everyone! I'm not the expert when it comes to anything electrical so please be patient with this one! I've asked this question to a few folks and no one can give me a straight answer.

I live in a condo and have a high voltage outlet that was previously being used to charge my Tesla. I sold my Tesla a few weeks ago and recently took delivery of a 2023 F8 Spider.

my building won't allow me to install a new regulars DC outlet. I really don't want to use a portable solution like the Yeti which I've read on a few posts on this board.

is there a way for me to use the high voltage outlet and connect the trickle charger to it to power the batter tender and then charge my battery? I mean - is there a straightforward way that doesn't involve gutting the outlet and redoing the wiring?

I would really appreciate your responses and guidance. I'm kinda stuck at this point and my brand new car died even after I drove it everyday for a little bit after taking delivery.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You need to get the electricity that powers the Tesla charger to yield power for the Ferrari's charger eg have an electrician tap into it and make a new socket

ps 6 years lurking - not a record but still impressive !

NYC Fred likes this.
  3. Mobfigr

Mobfigr Rookie

Jan 4, 2017
    Thank you for your response! I'm hoping to avoid getting an electrician involved so was wondering - is there any device that I can plug into the power outlet that would then let me plug in the trickle charger into that device? A converter of sorts?

4. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  5. 360Grigio

360Grigio Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2010
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Do you mean a new AC outlet? Do you know what the current voltage is for the existing outlet? I was going to suggest get a European market (220VAC) battery tender and change out the socket, but after reading NYC Fred's post, he gives valuable advice.

6. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    That would probably work just fine.
    Good thinking.

7. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    If the ctek has an adaptive input you’d just need a plug to do it. Like your phone charger use in Europe.

I don’t think ctek has that tho so you would need a plug adapter and step down transformer.

SV

Mobfigr likes this.
  8. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    We're talking about a what, $400 to $500K Ferrari, and you want to save $200 on an electrician who knows what he's doing? :rolleyes:

NYC Fred and 360Grigio like this.
  9. 360Grigio

360Grigio Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2010
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Check out the CTEK MXS 5.0 UK. Input voltage is 220-240 VAC. No need for a step down transformer.

Cut off the European plug, wire the pigtail to US style 220V plug and use it. If you ever sell your condo, the outlet will be ready if the next owner has an EV.

edit. Of course this is all based on you being in North America.

Mobfigr and NYC Fred like this.
  10. Mobfigr

Mobfigr Rookie

Jan 4, 2017
    Thank you all so much! It's not that I was trying to avoid the electrician because of costs but rather some restrictions out on me because of where I live. I agree though - this needs to be done right rather than set fire to the car. I was luckily given the approval to have an electrician provision an extra outlet from the high voltage source and provide me with both options at the same time. I'll report back once that's complete so others can see what the solution looks like. I'll post pictures. Will probably be 2-3 weeks out.

again, thank you all! I love this forum! Very helpful.