Using a Volvo Space-Saver Spare on a 3x8 | FerrariChat

Using a Volvo Space-Saver Spare on a 3x8

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Apr 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    While I was foraging in a Pick-a-Part type recycler today looking for parts for a different car, I ran across a space-saver spare from a 1999 Volvo S70 in perfect unused condition. It has the same bolt pattern as the 3x8. It was cheap, so I bought it. Tire size is 125/80R17.

At home, I test fit it on both the front and rear wheel on my ’83 308 GTS and it easily clears the brake calipers etc. Offset looks okay; at least it doesn’t look too weird.

I read the past threads regarding using Volvo space-savers and people cite the need for spacers or centralizer rings because the front hub diameter is bigger on a Volvo. The space-saver I bought seems to fit the rear hub snuggly, but the front indeed has a gap around the hub. (It makes me wonder what axle the Ferrari factory spare is for.)

What is the consequence of driving on the Volvo space-saver wheel in the front without using a centralizer? The space-saver spare are only rated for a maximum of 50 mph so service conditions would be low. Would the bolts alone keep the wheel sufficiently centralized to limp the car to a tire shop?

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

Well I don't have the answers to your questions. I can tell you that depending on what size wheels and tires you have on the car you may not be able to fit the flat tire in the front well.

Mine didn't come with a spare so I was looking for one. Then I thought about trying the current 16" tire in there and it won't fit. So I gave up and just carry a couple cans of fix-a-flat and a AAA card.

3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    That is the correct size for the normal Fcar wheel diameter. I find it interesting that it fit on the rears as I had to open up the center hole slightly but if it fits use it. As for the front if you use tapered bolts and by the way you need to buy shorter ones they will self align the wheel. I don't like that approach so I would measure the gap and have a cylindrical shim made. By the way I never ran with a spare and only carried a can of fix a flat and never had a flat in 14 years of ownership. As for a flat tire fitting in the spare area it is not a problem unless you put on larger tires.

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    If the wheel fits the rear but not the front then it sounds like you need the hub adapters that Superformance provides with their aftermarket 308 wheels.

I think you'll be fine at low speeds for limited distance. The hub interface makes sure the wheel is centered properly but doesn't bear any stress in service. The clamping force of the wheel bolts hold the wheel in place. So at worst you will have a wobble from a non-coaxial wheel.

What's next, lithium battery, aluminum radiator, carbon fiber front lid?

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Both. On models like yours (with the smaller, longer front hub), the (same) stock wheel (used front and rear) has two hub diameters -- a shallow 67mm counterbore to fit the short 67mm hub at the rear, and a 58mm thru hole to fit the longer 58mm hub at the front.

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #7 Brian A, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the specs. I measure the Volvo inside diameter at 65 to 66 mm. I thought it fit without modification, but per the photo below, I did not bolt it in with all 5 bolts. I really need to bolt it on fully. Volvo also only has one hole for the mounting studs; I need to drill a second, but that is an easy job.

You are obviously underestimating the value of using a space-saver spare. With the extra space, I can now carry an entire pizza box in my front spare tire well / pizza warming oven. Its 13 lbs lighter too.

Voila:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I picked up a Volvo S80 space saver spare last year, very similar to Brian's.

Brian, here's the trick - the center bore of the Volvo wheel fits over the front hub, and the lugs center and locate the wheel properly - no center bore adapter is needed. You do need to drill an additional hole in the spare wheel to allow the brake disk retainer pins to fit through.

On the rear hubs, the hub center is bigger than the center bore of the Volvo wheel, and the Volvo spare wheel doesn't fit without grinding out a larger center bore. Rather than try to get the Volvo spare wheel to fit if you ever had a rear flat tire - install the Volvo spare on a front corner, and move the front Ferrari wheel/tire to the rear to replace the flat rear tire.

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Thanks!

would you mind taking one with it in the spare tire well? I want to see how much room we gain up there.

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #10 GordonC, Apr 6, 2015
  11. 308 GTB QV

308 GTB QV Karting

Jan 19, 2010
    Where is the pizza box? :)

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It appears that there is enough room to move that tire up and back. If so, we could cut the front of that well back to the front edge of the new position of the tire and patch it back up again with fiberglass. May give just enough room for two puller fans on the radiator - 328 style and much more effective for a QV

13. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Tommy, think it through... If you do that, where do you put the flat?

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    In my passenger's lap.

I'm not leaving that thing behind for sure.

15. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Brilliant. I really hope I would have figured that out eventually. Or at least before putting a lot of work into making the Volvo wheel fit front and back.

16. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #16 miketuason, Apr 8, 2015
  17. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Are we doing this to save weight or did some of you not have a spare in your car?

18. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I want to do it so I can fit the jack and the tool roll in the front, which frees up boot space, and improves weight distribution.

19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The extra space will be nice, I want to keep my factory 16" Cromodora in it's unused condition, the factory tire is really old (1983), I found the 1999 S70 Volvo space-saver for cheap ($40) and, unlike the factory spare, it's not worth stealing.

20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    To free up some room

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    And in my case, perhaps improve the airflow through the radiator at slow speeds/stop and go.

22. Tricycle

Tricycle Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    LA Cnty 4,083sqmiles
    I have been following this thread and have a question:

Can the Volvo S80 space saver spare (or equivalent) fit a 328 1989 with ABS?

Everyone from what I can tell is talking about the 308 only.

I have a original space saver wheel but would be leery of using it in an emergency since the rubber is 25 years old.

So has anyone modified a Volvo S80 space saver spare to work as a spare for a 328 with ABS?

Thanks

23. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Got it. Makes sense.

24. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Hopefully someone else can answer authoritatively, but I’ll just say that the Volvo space-saver has a big convex profile. There is considerable clearance over 308 brake calipers, so chances are it will clear 328 ABS brakes. Hub offset might be a bigger difference, but I am speculating. The Volvo spares are plentiful and cheap so it might be worth a try.

You make a good point about the age of tires. Any idea at what age a spare tire should be replaced? The Volvo wheel takes a common 125/80R17 space-saver tire which is currently available at Tire Rack for $125. The Volvo wheels are nice quality so replacing the tire may be worth it to some.