V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots | Page 2 | FerrariChat

V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Congrats and best wishes Mr. Mk e!

It's been great following the story these last few years.

Your perseverance is inspiring.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    With the engine ordeal in its final stages I'm getting ready to make up 308 looking 3 pc 18" wheel centers for my car if anyone else is interest in cost sharing let me know.

The center will be a snug fit to the rim to minimize (but will not eliminate) the line where the 2 pieces meet, hidden bolts. The raised center for the emblem will probably also be a separate piece too as that will reduce material cost so another small line. Not exact copies, but close resemblances to go with my gemello cattivo (evil twin) project theme

The rim parts will be:
    https://shop.wheelflip.com/collections/inner-barrels/products/18-inner-barrel
    https://shop.wheelflip.com/collections/outer-lips/products/18-outer-lip?variant=313955765

These come in 1/2" step so you can make whatever width you please. For sure my car will require spacers (I have F430 brake stuff), no idea what stock 308 would need but be mentally ready to use spacers and understand you're on your own with all this stuff, I'm just making up centers to make a 308 looking wheel possible.

After the wheels will be F/R tubular antisway bar setups, probably using bars from here:
    http://1speedway.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=76&product_id=90
    and ends and brackets to fit the 308.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan, st@ven and Ferraripilot like this.
  5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I looked photos Grassroots site, although tend to be factory purist this man has large confidence skills like no other have seen my years I have much awe for anyone who crafts in metal I love engineering of Ferraris cars and motorcycles I hope he paints the valve covers just like Testarossa and hope this car runs good as factory at finish !!

Thank u

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  7. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    2NA likes this.
  8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    final wheel design....just waiting for the final quote to place the order. Decided to go safe and do forged aluminum instead of CF...at least for now. They are 18x8.5 (shown) front and 18x10 rear....8 on the front might have been better but I needed to find matching f/r forgings a center design I liked worked on so 8.5 it is.

9. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mike, is that an 18” wheel on your car now? I have 17” ROH wheels that look proportional. What size tires are you going with?

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    yes, 550 wheels at the moment that are 18x8.5 and 18x10.5. I'll probably with or near the current tire size of 22545 and 285/35 iirc or maybe up to a a 295/30 or similar which I'm pretty sure will also fit.

11. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mike, I can’t seem to message you, can you please email me at [email protected]? I would like to talk to you these new wheels. Thanks, Steven

12. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    The original thread on this has stuck in my mind over the years.
    I always did wonder how it turned out. I see I have some catch up reading to do.
    Doug

13. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Mike,
    Nice to hear from you. My QV who’s heads and plenum and intake manifold you modified just kicks a••. You and Newman created my dream machine. Thank you again. Now those wheels.......

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    "Mike" seems to be too polite to tell people that his first name is really Mark.

15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    With the number of typos I make there is simply no way I'm going to correct someone else's :)

Shout out to Brian who took the time to get me some nice pics of stock wheels with a bunch of measurements so I could get a design that had as much OEM flavor as possible to help me stay with the "gemello cattivo" (evil twin) theme. which reminds me I still need to finish up the emblem and get it on the car, its the same size and font as the factor QV emblem, a buddy designed and machined it for me.

Mark ;)

davem likes this.
  16. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Between aging nerves and s fat finger......
    My apologies Mark for not proofreading prior to pisting.

308 milano likes this.
  17. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #42 mk e, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Steven (user cirorsi) asked if I could do 17x8 and 17x9. I reached out the the manufacture and there are forgings available that will work so the answer is yes. I need to finish up the design and he needs to measure up what offset he wants and double check caliper position....I'll place the order in about 2 weeks so I cam move on to other projects. If anyone else wants in they are $600 each plus $300 shipping from china and tariffs (set of 4), then shipping to you. I'll post the finish design, the request was make it more OEM looking where the spokes meet the rim which I'll do but it will add a pound or 2 so 22.5lbs for the 17x8 right now will, probably change to about 24lbs. The 9" will be a pound or 2 more but I haven't started that design yet so don't hold me to it. A 9" wheel will not fit without aftermarket rear springs the 2.5" or 2.25' ID type.

These "circular display stands" will be not for highway use, no DOT markings, use at your own risk with no promises about anything made or implied.

edit - forgot if you want 18s they are the same price.....the 8.5" will fit, 10in requires the rear lower shock mount be modified or you need flares. I could also do a 9 or 9.5 if someone wants that.

Cirorsi likes this.
  18. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I'm very excited about this, thank you Mark!!

19. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The designs are done and look very OEM, a bit chubby at 25.7lbs but not horrible. We may have a problem with the vendor thought.....I've asked for references after the invoice arrived as a live word doc and they asked for western union payment, then wire to an agent's account when I gave a flat no to western union, both are wrong answers. We'll see.

I don't have another forged blank source so if this falls apart maybe a 2 piece billet front with spun rear but it will be more money. In the bright side I could reduce to the weight if I'm not trying to fit it to a forging designed for modern wheel designs.

20. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Mark, send me a PM or email derekrwhite at yahoo.com as I am talking to some CN wheel makers about coffin spoke wheels again. Perhaps we can combine orders and have some coffin spokes come your side of the pond for fellow Fchatters?

21. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I already cut an order loose. They want a little resign on the rim so that's were I am. They said 25-30 days to ship after deposit, the redesign may deal that though.

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  23. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Note that the edges of all surfaces on factory wheels are slightly softened (rounded). It looks like the renderings show edges, such as the sides of the spokes, are sharp 90 degree edges. It appears they have the fillets right but not the outside edges.

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    #49 mk e, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Yeah, I wasn't sure what to do about that. Originally I thought the wheels would arrive bare alum and I could brake the edges as I pleased but then learned the price includes silver paint so I guess I need to tell them to do something with the corners.

edit - just asked for 0.2-0.5mm R all sharp edges. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cirorsi likes this.
  25. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    ... the right color of silver is a whole ‘nother matter.