V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots | Page 3 | FerrariChat

V-12 Engine into 308 Build, over on Grassroots

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Jan 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    LOL
    I'm sure there are pages and pages of posts on the subject of the right shade of silver floating around....but for me though I think "silver" will do :)

I took another look at the wheel pics you sent me, OEM is probable closer to a 1mm R on all exterior corners.

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Due to the bigger wheel diameter, the spokes appear slimmer. With the 108mm bolt pattern you are constrained but could shift the border around the bolts outwards and make the spokes a little thicker to look more like the originals.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    you know....if you changer stuff it looks different. I played with increasing the hub size a bit to makes the spokes more 308ish, but it really didn't look right. The spacing rib to bolt changes and because they are close to start with even a small change starts to make it look "fat" and adds weight....it just didn't work....and I'm not sure I care that they aren't copies of the factory wheels. I wanted something that looks kind of original and I think they do but also look a bit "lighter" which I like....but I know most people just want their cars factory original and anything else is wrong. But I like them :)

4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I like them too but thought you were trying to get them close to original look. I can see how changing the middle would make them even more different.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I think closer to original....pass as original at a glance but clearly meaner on inspection. Like the whole engine right? I spent a lot of time making the cam covers look way 308/QVish than TRish.....but I can't hide the fact that they are 50% longer so its a matter of making it resemble original even though it can't be original....something the designer who did the QV cover might have done if handed the project in 84.

Same with the wheels, I can't hide the fact that the wheels are 18", but I can follow a similar design theme that takes advantage of a modern forging that moves the spokes to the outer bead which stiffness the rim, better air flow to the brakes....but visually from the same design family as original. That was the goal anyway.

Cirorsi and derekw like this.
  6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Actually, and for once: no. When painting a wheel, there is a consensus (can you believe it?) that the factory silver finish on OEM wheels is very close to, or exactly, Glasurit "Argento 101/C".

Rgds

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    it looks like they added a little more meat the the spokes between the ribs. I had a constant 8mm cross section, they have what looks like about 8 growing to more like 12 near the hub. this must be the area they were concerned about the strength on and why they wanted to make changes...not sure I understand their concern but it only added about 1lb so I'm not sure I care but here's a clip from the drawing if anyone else cares.

Another buddy just broke a rear stub axle so it appears a solution to that pretty well known issue is required. The current plan is C5 vette bearings on a custom upright,. there's a company that make a stub axle for that bearing with a 930 CV inside so it will bolt to stock 308 axles. The current though is bolt-on caliper and shock mounts so any brakes or any width rear wheels can be used.......it will cost about $1000/side if anyone wants a set let me know.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Mark, I think the rear hub is 67mm and the front 58mm. This 10" wheel for the rear should be 67mm.

10. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Derek, thanks for pointing that out! I just reviewed everything and I had it correct on the models and drawing I sent and also on the info form they requested but I was so focused on looking at where they changed wall thickness I never reviewed the basic info like center bore. Just emailed then the correction. Easy enough to ft after the fact but way better to have it right to start with so THANKS!

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    They replied and are fixing the drawing. Thanks again.

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Thanks. The first wheel is just off the mill and I've sent this color info as prefered....all I asked for was silver so that is all they promised but waiting to hear if this specific silver can be done

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    "Argento 101/C" would be less "silver" than what you have here, rather grayish-silver.
    "Argento 101/C" is the "silver" paint as used on the body of the silver-colored 308s and 328s.

Rgds

14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    this is bare metal, so about as metalic as it comes I guess.

Prep and paint is next.....

15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Did I misunderstand? Is that the wheel paint or car paint?

16. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
  17. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I thought your engine was already in the car? Can you use one wheel without burning out the LSD clutch discs?

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The color used by the Ferrari factory for the wheels of the 308 and 328 is the same as the paint used for the bodies, when ordering a car "silver": Argento 101/C.

Rgds

19. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Ahh, thank you.

20. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The engine is out, cyl 8 dropped a valve or something and is waiting my attention but after setting the basement shop on fire I had to build a DETACHED shop and am just finishing up the last few actions related to that construction....and Lana is really good at making things related so it was a very long list.

First step for the dyno will be getting it bolted to the back of the engine. Originally planned to do first start on an engine dyno but I had to put the engine in to fab headers and such so I went ahead and fired it up. Now there's no real pressing reason to put it back in the car so I'll do the tunign on the bench. Once it is back in the car bought a set of chassis dyno rollers that popped up last year, so they are also awaiting my time to turn them into a chassis dyno that uses the brake I just bought...that's the plan anyway.

Also the enginelab ECU have is fully programmable, as in I can add any function I please so the general plan is to add a dyno function and let the ECU control the dyno load valve, read the torque and HP and then I have all my data going to a single log which is really nice and don't need to duplicate or T off sensors so I know for certain what I see in the log is what was going on. It should be a nice setup...when I find time to actually do it.

21. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    This is serious stuff for a hobbyist! You should figure out how to get someone to pay you for this (perhaps you have already.)

The one forged wheel supplier says he has deep enough blanks to do the 17x8/9 coffin spoke wheels so I’m getting some drawings done and will get a sample set for my 308 before putting in a bigger order.

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The paint code just confused them, pantone shade they could maybe deal with but not a color code....so I'm back the the wheels will be silver whatever that means shade wise. Its easy enough to respay them if I don't like the shade but he sent a pic of a wheel and it looked about right so fine for now.

Cirorsi likes this.
  23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I'm not that smart.......

Can't wait to see them! I really like that general style wheel.

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day mke,

I was told that a very close color match to Ferrari's rim color was the color used on BMW's X5 Rims. Since I have an X5 I placed my X5 rim next to my BB's rim I can see that they are very close. Perhaps you can do the same and see if this "silver color" suits your taste and if so it should be pretty easy to get the BMW's rim paint code form the local paint supplier.

Cheers,

Sam

25. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher