V12 engine rebuild bill? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

V12 engine rebuild bill?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by John Se, Mar 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I can't imagine how a complete and reasonably accurate Ferrari real-V12 retro replica--250 TDF, 250 SWB, 250 GT0, etc., could be sold here for less than half a mil, and that's with the assembly being done in China and some high production numbers.

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

Hog Wash! That would be a sad day if they were all replicas. If someone piled up a GTO on the Race Track, it would simply be a part of its racing history. There is nothing that cant be repaired for a small fraction of the value of the car. Fire and Theft are the only 2 concerns.
    If someone has the resources to buy lets say a GTO, then $300K to completely rebuild a track damaged wreck shouldnt pose a problem.
    I remember in the late 80's, Dr. Bodin would absolutly pound the wheels off the GTO (3223GT) at the Monterey track. At the end of the day Bob and Linda would drive it to Carmel for dinner, jump out and throw the keys to a valet attendent. I remember the kid turning white as a sheet and trembling. Bob and Linda never turned around and looked at the poor kid, they just walked into the resturant for dinner. The poor valet kid offered me a tip to move the car for him. We laughed about that until we both had tears running down our faces.
    Would the same reaction be there if these were all replicas?
    Dave

3. arnup

arnup Rookie

Mar 31, 2005
    sydney
    Full Name:
    kevin
    100hrs is more than reasonable. what happened to heads?

4. arnup

arnup Rookie

Mar 31, 2005
    sydney
    Full Name:
    kevin
    Was your engine 2 cam or 4 cam?

5. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Carillo rods are 225 each, jobber cost That's is just short of 3000 if you have a regular account. A home shop certainly can not get one for one engine.

J&E pistons or original Borgos will run between 2400-4800

6. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    2 cam type 245 for 365GT. All new valves, J&E pistons, used oil pan as mine had been damaged in the past. Lots and lots of little stuff that came up as we went, like rebuilding the brake booster, radiator, new fans etc. etc.

7. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Tom S.

I agree with you on the numbers. Also, new pistons for $50 each??? Charles must have some impressive contections to be able to find this kind of stuff lying about on someones shelf.

Art S.

8. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy

Trust me I have collected several set of pistons laying around other people shelves.
    Wallace/Bunkfedlt/Ottis/Jens/Caribou etc will not use these. Deemed useless. Name brands withheld.

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Why withhold the brand names? Wouldn't it be of interest to all concerned if we knew what old brands of parts were deemed "useless" by the rebuilders? Might save some people a lot of money in the long run.

10. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy

I prefer not to engage. There are major different philosophies in rebuilding engines. Race, street, longetivity, oil consumption, valvetrain noise in mind. Certain parts are then selected, based on rebuilders preferences, parts availablitity and customer requirements.

Most people know how to do stuff better and cheaper than myself, 20+ years experience trying to deliver cars and build my own cars, and better and cheaper than the "A" list of engine builders, each pumping out 12-20 reliable engines annually. Hell, I delivered 9 engines last year as cores, I have, for the record, absolutely positively no idea what is going on. I am just another F-Chatter.

It's best I leave this alone.

Words of wisdom, "Respect your elders"

11. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I have a set of Venolias here at 9.5:1 that I bought with rings about 8 yrs ago--still new in the box. Paid 620.00 for them from Venolia. I am planning on Using JE now and have a quote from them at 100/hole.

oops--my bad on the rods--the quote on them was 1850.00

and--My original heads were stolen--later replaced with a set of 365 heads that are junk--situation still unresolved.........

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #62 El Wayne, Apr 9, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are a couple of photos showing the tip of one of the valve stems and one of the pistons. What isn't visible in this photo is that, on the left side of this piston, that top ring has welded itself in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Was a PPI done?
    Dave

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The valve stem is not unusual but that piston got VERY hot.

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yep, by Continental Autosports, who reported that they found nothing wrong with the motor and that the compression was off by no more that 4% in any hole. Hmm.

I'll post their report when I get home tonight.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sorry to hear that.
    To clarify, I did not mean to say the stem is OK. It is the way they can get with very advanced age. When the adj screw wears through the hardening, with the valve spring pressure the single cam motors had, they get ugly fast.

17. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Wayne,

My first comment is wow, I'm really sorry to see that!

My second comment is: considering the condition of the engine and since you already have the engine out, I would strongly recommend that you take a careful look at the rest of the driveline. When the engine is fresh, it's extra power will put extra force on the driveline and quickly reveal any undiscovered weakness (which will put you back in the shop).

Good luck,

Art S.

18. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Agreed, there are not many 2 cam heads that I have taken off where all of the valves came out. Some were mushroomed over to the point a grinder had to be used to reshape the stem top for removal, so there is no supprise there. Worst ones were on cars where Porsche adjusters had been used and the foot fliped over.
    Was that piston from one of the rear cylinders? It would be unjust of me to say it wasnt 4% leakage when it was checked, but on a vintage engine that is a pretty low number (best to worst) for even a fresh engine.
    Dave

19. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I would get in touch with Continental re: PPI or lack there of.
    KEEP THE FAITH. It will be worth it.

20. Tony Fuisz

Tony Fuisz Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Bethesda, MD
    Full Name:
    Tony Fuisz
    Had the engine ever been rebuilt that you know of? Did it obviously fail after you took delivery? I guess I would assume every original engine in a 40 year old ferrari would have horrifying parts if you took it all the way apart. The only good part of a redone engine (by an established shop) is the value of the car rises by some fraction of what you pay for the work.
    To me, reasonable leak down, compression numbers on a 40 year old engine that was probably not babied just mean that its OK on the day its measured. There's a reason ferrari dealers don't offer powertrain guarantees on the really old cars. I also believe there is a certain amount of comfort in finding a big thing wrong with you newly purchased car- at least you know why it was for sale (maybe less of a comfort if its the most expensive thing that can go wrong).
    I still think the best complement to a PPI would be a good one to two hour drive in the car (even with the owner driving) to make sure it all works. Anyone owner afraid of driving the car for 60 minutes is hiding something.

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Somtimes compression and leakdowns will not show such problems. I have been fooled a few times..one being on a Subaru with a rough running problem. I swaped out ECMs, injectors, changed intake gaskets etc. I did a leakdown test and a compression test..both check out just fine. I finaly said the heck with it and pulled the left side head, and removed the valves...burnt!! Not missing a peice or anything but it was distorted just enough for it not to be able to seat correctly when the engine was running. Engine off, spring pressure was able to keep it closed enough to pass a leakdown test.

Somtimes these types of things do happen. This site seems to lean on the "leakdown test" way to much for engine health. Although it is a good test, it is sometimes not reilable.

22. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    In that piston picture the second ring looks pretty intact, so it can very well have kept the pressure up when tested!

Best wishes, Kare

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Agreed. 4% would put in the Guiness book range unless it had a recent motor.
    My opinion is that it has been very hot since the last time it had good compression.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

This guy's pretty smart too. I would think it worth a sit down.

25. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    I have seen several older V-12s with this valve stem problem and have been told by some very experienced Ferrari mechanics that it is fairly common. I had this problem on my 365GT2+2 which had a PPI before I bought it. A normal PPI will not find this problem. You must ask the shop to take off the cam covers and even then you may have to pull the cams out to find the problem. This is going to add quite a bit to the cost of a PPI but you better believe that is what I will have done next time. I have replaced all of the valves on my 365GT2+2.