V8 in a 246GTS? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

V8 in a 246GTS?

Discussion in '206/246' started by any_1, Oct 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I think you're confusing the distinction outlined here:
    Talaio also builds drivable 700+hp F40 engines for F40s, and wsa pointing out that those F40 engines are based upon the same 308/328 block he is using. He's NOT putting an F40 engine into the Dino, but to further his point, his shop has the ability to apply F40 power techniques to other 308/328-based engines.
    No need for further alarm.

2. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Alarm? No alarm here. Coverage of this 246 GTS build says - quite clearly and unequivocally - that it uses an engine from an F40, or words to the effect that a 'spare F40 engine' was found. I'm not the one confusing anything.

-Ed

3. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I guess that's in another thread somewhere. Link?

4. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
  5. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I stand partially corrected. He used the block - I suspect because it may be reinforced/stronger to handle the added stresses to produce the power. Only reason I can see to use it, other than bragging rights to impress the Fast&Furious crowd.

The block is still not the engine, but a basic component. Unless he's also using the heads, turbos, induction, etc. (which would all be optimised for running boost, and generating the 700bhp attainable), he's still just using the stronger basis. Carobu and others routinely use the 308/328 block as the basis for their higher displacement/hp builds, so he may have wanted a greater margin of strength/safety, given the build, because you can see that it's not a turbo. Maybe even better oil routing, but I doubt it.

That's the only thing that makes sense, to me, unless it's just to be able to brag about the F40 "connection". Still using 348 heads, and I suspect, not the F40 turbo-biased compression ratio.....and "F40-type radiator" (LMAO).....because it uses water, maybe because it's aluminum. So much LMAO among those articles. ".....470-horsepower 2.9 liter V8 block from the...." Seriously?

Bad writing on the part of the authors to pump the interest in the articles. REALLY bad.

6. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Did he? The engine being built as described in this thread is the engine that was destined for this 246 GTS. At no point was an F40 block mentioned. You will note that the first time an F40 block is mentioned is in all of the coverage about the car...

-Ed

7. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Of course - if it's an F40 block, then the casting numbers will prove that.

-Ed

8. willrace

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    #33 willrace, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Yes, it will. For the block. Just the block.

As they say, "Reading is fundamental." Comprehension is optional, and is where you're faltering.

From your first link, https://drive-my.com/en/test-drive/item/2867-1974-ferrari-dino-v8-400bhp-modified-classic.html
    "....For this car, Kevin sourced an alloy Ferrari F40 engine block (bored out to 3.6 litres from its original 2.9), a pair of 348 four-valve heads (bigger valves than the turbocharged F40’s), Ferrari throttle-body fuel injection and fly-by-wire throttle, titanium conrods and bespoke crankshaft, plus F40-type radiator and cooling fans. After 3000 hours and a whole lot of engineering thought, the turn-key result is 400bhp for this Ferrari Dino V8.....
    ....So, F40-based engine and cooling systems, 328 gearbox and 360 brakes...."
    Great - now it's a 328......... wait, no, it's a 360.......

If you read past the 1st paragraph of your second link....
    https://jalopnik.com/why-this-guy-spent-1-3-million-to-restore-a-dino-with-1826406030
    .....and skip down to the All About That Engine segment:
    ".....Instead, this one takes the 470-horsepower 2.9 liter V8 block from the F40, bored out to 3.6 liters, loses the turbos and all its intake and exhaust plumbing, and gets a set of velocity stacks atop the head....."
    The author neglects that nothing inside that block is F40, either, including the custom crank (to increase the stroke), or the pistons (larger bore), or even the compression ratio (turbo CRs are lower to facilitate/utilize the boost). This paragraph is also followed immediately by a nice picture of some non-turbo velocity stacks.

About the best you can get from the horribly misleading 2nd paragraph of your third link (wow, is this targeting the F&F crowd, or what?), is that its displacement was increased from 2.4L to 3.6L, though you don't get there by just boring it out as implied. At least there a more pretty pictures for the kids. Aside from the pics, the BEST that can be said for this one is that it doesn't come out of the gate obsessing over the supposed price paid (OOOOOOOHHH!!!! AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!), like the Jalopnik piece.

Critical thought is a good thing to learn.

9. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I think we're at cross-purposes here. I'm not disputing that the editorial coverage of this car states that the block (just the block) was an F40 unit. I'm not even disputing that the journalists who wrote these pieces were told that.

I'm saying I'm questioning whether that's true.

-Ed

Ferraripilot likes this.
  10. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    On the other Dino F40 thread I asked Telaio if he would clarify whether it IS an F40 block in the Dino. Of all the people who would know, he will for sure. Funnily enough, he has sidestepped the question, preferring to talk about his Dino trips instead. If I was a betting man....

Seems like this is not the first Mototechnique car that may not be quite what it is marketed as. There's a whole thread on an F40 LM restoration which turns out not to be an LM after all - just a modified F40.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Have you guys heard of David Lee’s Dino that has he F430 motor in it?