Valeo Quick Drive | FerrariChat

Valeo Quick Drive

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by alexion, Apr 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Tested out my video recording capability yesterday on a quick drive:

Milanoguy, Wade, Pero and 2 others like this.
  2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    is NY already free of snow ? ;)

Fantastic engine sound!

3. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Fortunately yes! At least in my area which is the southern tip of NY.
    I have a rule that at least two significant rainstorms have to occur to wash the winter salt before I can drive!

paulchua likes this.
  4. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
  5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    tweeter speaker?
    Not standard

6. jimzdancewicz

jimzdancewicz Karting

Mar 1, 2015
    Berwyn, PA
    Full Name:
    James Zdancewicz
    Awesome Alex. Have had mine out several times after the Major this winter. Will post some picts and video, The Valeo is a dream!

JZ

alexion likes this.
  7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Strange to see a standard shift car with the left leg not moving. I'd love to have one of those.

8. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    yes that is strange looking.. I know nothing about that Valeo model.... interesting

9. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Strange, I suppose...Drive one and you'll say "this is awesome."

You have all the pleasure of the gated shifter and none of discomfort of having the depress the clutch pedal. The microprocessors in the shift lever send a signal to the actuator to engage the clutch pedal. It's a brilliant design and the forerunner to present day F1 paddle shifters, but better and more reliable.

10. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Yes, that's a tweeter.

11. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Originally built for the Lancia (rally) racing team so they could ALWAYS have one foot on the accelerator and one on the brakes- that my understanding anyways. And as Alex pointed out, and I said in another Valeo thread, or maybe earlier in this one, a pre-cursor of sorts to the paddle shifters of today. Again that my understanding anyways.

timjen88 and alexion like this.
  12. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Yes, all correct by my understanding. Imagine the time saved, especially in a race, by having a system where your right foot stays on the gas and your left is the brake, while being able to shift gears in milliseconds...Pretty amazing stuff for the late 80's. What makes it so great is that they aren't known to break and are simple electromechanical systems.

13. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Aston Martin had a similar setup 10 years later with their Vanquish and Vanquish S. Manual gearbox with the clutch actuated hydromechanically (at least my understanding). Instead of a stick, they used the paddles on the wheel, so less intuitive. Ferrari was certainly at the forefront of technology in that regard.

Regards,
    Jerry

14. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Interesting, Jerry, I learn something new everyday.

I guess the concept of how the system works isn't so complicated, in fact it's simple. I feel that the best part about the Valeo system is that the gated shifter experience is not lost. IMO, a lot of the reason why people don't go with F1 paddle shifters is because they want to row their own gears and enjoy the click clack of the infamous Ferrari gated shifter. The Valeo is a "best of both worlds" system!

sixcarbs likes this.
  15. DarkHorseTerence

Oct 25, 2012
    is it possible to actually change gear quickly though?? I dont see the point at all if you cant shift through the gears really quick? I'd like to see a video of it being used 'pressing on'......

16. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think you will find the computer (even 25 years old) can shift faster than most humans. :) But I defer to someone who actually drives one..... ;)

@alexion

That is the beauty of the Valeo. It is instinctive. Just row the stick. Once you get past the lack of the 3rd pedal, it is easy. In other cars, you need to work the paddles, one for upshift and one for downshift and neutral (typically pull both towards you for neutral) is NOT instinctive.

Regards,
    Jerry

alexion likes this.
  17. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I'm clearly "going easy" on it in this video clip. I'm not racing or trying to shift quickly, though the system responds in milliseconds.

Lanica won back to back championships using the Valeo system. Right foot on the gas, left foot on the brake, gear shifts in milliseconds. By the time your brain understands its shifting gears, the Valeo system already did it.

paulchua likes this.
  18. DarkHorseTerence

Oct 25, 2012
    sounds superb! Would love to see a clip of it in action! The Mondi T makes a great noise to go with....

paulchua likes this.
  19. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Couple of questions on the Valeo, I’ve always been intrigued by this system:

What about when downshifting? Does it rev-match? Or do you still have to manually press the accelerator to match the revs?

How does it decide how quickly to disengage the clutch when starting off? Is it like the F1 where gentle throttle application will result in slower clutch release, and stomping on the gas will essentially dump the clutch?

20. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Alex,

Here's a "red carpet "bit for ya - -- - show us your Valeo assisted rev matching down shfts!!

Amazing ,neh?

21. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Hi Nathan,

The system does not automatically rev match.

The clutch engagement is dependent on throttle application, though in all honesty, I don’t gun it off the line. Gear shifts are as fast as you can row the gated shifter. When your hand is on the shift lever from 1st to 2nd, or any other gear for that matter, the clutch is already engaged and waiting for the shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nathandarby67 likes this.
  22. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Hi Hank -

I hope all is well!

I’ve been trying to fill in a bit and keep the Valeo notoriety alive, but truthfully I have some big shoes to fill. I consider you to be our resident expert and far more well versed and articulate that I on our marvelous cars.

I suppose I can create some additional video clips, but the driving experience is what truly does the system justice.

I welcome any local Ferraristi to come for a ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    great video and great information about I car I knew nothing about, thanks!

24. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Hi Hank!!

We miss you here!! Maybe every time I/we see “the a/c is not functioning, judt needs a re-charge” I will comment as you used to. lol

Anyways more info on the Valeo, but again I’m no expert. As I previously stated there is/was a YouTube video, I think produced by Road&Track, maybe Motor Trend, the subject of which is the Valeo system. I remember it as being approx 6 minutes long. The commentator/driver using the system is a woman!! And the car being driven is one of MY unicorns (non-red Valeo t coupe).

As also previously stated the Valeo system was developed for the Lancia rally team when Lancia RULED rally!! Think the Lancia Stratos, one of the most beautiful and iconic cars ever produced (3 consecutive years rally champion) and the Lancia Delta Integrale, the ORIGINAL “hot hatch” (6 consecutive years rally champion!!) Even now, 25 yrs later, a Delta Integrale Evo will eat a VW Golf (Rabbit) GTI for breakfast!! If I remember correctly Lancia is still the most successful marque in rally history despite withdrawing from rally racing in the mid-90’s(!!) I believe. And if anyone wants to see the most incredible driving imaginable (imho) just google “rally racing you tube”. ENJOY!!

Temple