Valeo transmission | FerrariChat

Valeo transmission

Discussion in '308/328' started by robbio99, Dec 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The Fourth Edition Illustrated Ferrari Buyer's Guide of Dean Batchelor and Randy Leffingwell had the following to say about Valeo trannies:

"For model year 1992, Ferrari produced a double handful of cars known as the "Valeo" Mondials. Valeo is a French clutch manufacturer that produced a system with no clutch pedal but whose clutch was operated by an electro-mechanical actuator (ECM). This Valeo system can engage and disengage the clutch in 0.02 seconds! Originated for the Lancia rally team, this clutch allowed the drivers to use one foot on the brake and the other on the gas at all times, and it contributed greatly to Lancia's back-to-back world rally championships.
    The ECM operated like a manual transmission: Lift off the gas, move the gear shift lever by hand, get back down on the gas, and the clutching was handled wihtout footwork. If you look in the footwell and see no clutch pedal, this is a "Valeo" car. The system is capable of picture-perfect burnout standing launches and even full-throttle shifts. But beware! The module that controls it has a memory, and when you take your worn out Valeo in for service, the mechanics can read the history of your driving style. According to insiders, the Valeo was extremely trouble-free. It was available in coupes as well as cabriolets in Europe, but as only the cabriolets were sold in the US, that is how you'll find them here. With its reliability and its rarity -- fewer than 30 were imported in 1992 -- it is destined for desirablity."

jsa330 and Chuck Ward like this.
  2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Very cool.

Well said. Our friend Valeo Mondi Hank is a lucky man!

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I saw one of these about 14 or 15 years ago in LA. The guy who owned it said he bought it new. He had a problem with his left leg so he couldn't use a clutch. He walked with the aid of a crutch.

He loved it because otherwise, he could not drive a Ferrari. The computer that controlled the clutch looked much like an IBM PC in the trunk. I think it even had the slots visible for a floppy disc. It was the only one I've ever seen and it was a convertible (red and black if I remember). He never had a problem with the box itself but had the usual Mondial issues.

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I've always found them to be interesting. I like Mondials also. I know that there are those who don't but I'd be willing to bet that they guy who recently called it lame (the Valeo that is) didn't know it's World Rally Championship history.

Perfect for those who need it or just want it.

I also didn't realize that you use the throttle like a manual. I thought it was like the current F1 in that regard.

Thanks for the good info. It is perhaps an interesting sidebar in Ferrari history. But I for one appreciate them and have thought of them many times.

5. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #5 davebdave, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
    Great technology! But not for me. I drive a CLUTCH; not because it is EASY, BUT BECAUSE IT IS HARD. :)

6. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    Hard to drive a car with a clutch????

I guess it's just a matter of what you are used to. I've never owned an automatic. Hate them. :)

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #7 Wade, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi there ! & Merry XMAS !

It's raining here in Burbank so Rachel will stay home by the fireplace (water heater):)

I'll say it again and again - On a crowded Los Angeles freeway, stop and go driving in Rachel is as easy as with an automatic yet way more fun. In the twisties she is simply a manual shift car - with no clutch !! HOW DO SHE KNOW??

To all - Happy New Year & Be Well.

Cheers, Hank

9. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Didn't Rachel Hunter own one back in the day??

10. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Yep. That would be mine (Rachel) :)

11. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #11 hank sound, Dec 27, 2008
    And, just for the halibut:)

There was one other Ferrari, not a Mondial t, that featured a Valeo system. You do know what model it was and for whom it was built - right? :)

I guess, if I'm going to throw that kind of stuff around, I better (and will) provide a prize for the first person who posts in this thread, the correct answer.
    Da - dadadaaahh - - how about a Garfield Exotics 5 Speed Belt Buckle? Looks just like the real thing, neh? Yes, Valeo cars do have a standard tranny with the "magic shift gate" AND MORE !! BTW, the belt I'm wearing in the picture came out of Rachel from her last major service. How cool is that ??:)

May you all be healthy and happy in the New Year.

Cheers, Hank
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    F40 for Agnelli

13. BlackMondial32

BlackMondial32 Karting

Aug 27, 2007
    valeo is a "without Clutch" system, used in some formula uno cars.
    That ferrari made in some mondial.
    If someone need parts direct from Valeo, simply write me , valeo it's italian company, and i can talk straigth with it"

14. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey robbio99,

Right you are ! PM me a mailing address and I'll get your buckle on its way to you.

Happy New Year,

Hank

15. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
  16. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    This looks to be a great example for sale at Marshall Goldman right now. It has only 6,800 miles on the clock. They are asking $65,900

17. robbio99

robbio99 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    but the listing got cancelled. I think the Buy It Now was only 56,900.00.

18. 308-newbie

308-newbie Guest

Wow, I can't believe it didn't really catch on immediately.

That was a really strange video to watch.

I am sure there was a market, but I for one do not get it.

Good for you that do (I guess)

19. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have been told by many, if it breaks - it breaks you. I would avoid the Valeo trani - way to expensive to fix if they go wrong.

AK

20. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #20 hank sound, Dec 31, 2008
    When it comes to the Valeo system, don't believe everything you hear. So far in the four plus years of driving with this system, I have replaced one $13 relay.

I wish other Valeo owners would chime with their experiences. The only other Valeo car that I have driven was owned by a friend of mine and it too, was trouble free.

21. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #21 hank sound, Dec 31, 2008
    Here's the "business area" on the ground floor. I always keep my left foot on the dead pedal - - learned my lesson:) When I drove Rachel for the first time, I simply put my left foot on the floor. For the first couple of shifts I was OK because I was paying attention. Then I got over confident, made a shift and almost put myself through the windscreen by slamming on the brake !!!:) I think I got it now................:)

22. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I am SERIOUSLY considering getting a Valeo by trading 'up' my Mondial T to one.

Would make a better daily driver, and more of a wanted item IMO.

thanks hank for the updates

rik

23. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Wow Hank! Your car is perfect. There is no way I would post a pic of the pedal well on our car. You must drive barefoot out there in California.
    dave

24. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    #24 hank sound, Dec 31, 2008
    Thanks Dave:) Here's a shot of the part you didn't see.

Happy New Year !!

25. GDRIII

GDRIII Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    George Roberts
    #25 GDRIII, Dec 31, 2008
    I've owned and enjoyed mine for almost 14 years without any problem at all. Hank, at least that is 3 of the of the 20 or so built; I've never been able to find out the exact quantity. I just had her out for a drive Monday. It's still a blast to drive. I recently posted a thread about a very informative conversation I had with Reeves Callaway about the Valeo system. He had experimented with it in the past and found it very impressive and reliable. I think he would know what he was talking about. I believe there is a lot more "speculation" than actual experience about maintenence and repair cost. I think parts are available from Ricambi and if you have a good honest mechanic you will be fine owning one.