Valet crashed into my F12 - looking for an attorney who can help with insurance | FerrariChat

Valet crashed into my F12 - looking for an attorney who can help with insurance

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by cwall, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Hi,
    A valet in Los Angeles backed an Escalade into my F12. My insurance company (State Farm) is being unreasonable. Odd given that the valet companies insurance (Travelers) should be the ones on the hook. Can anyone recommend an attorney who is used to dealing with insurance companies in such cases?

Thanks,

Christopher

2. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I'd change insurance companies, state farm is beyond awful. Had great luck with Erie. You should contact Travelers and try dealing with them directly. You may want to search in regional forums. Good luck, awful situation.

randkin and cwall like this.
  3. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sucks. State Farm and other what I'd call "normal" consumer carriers aren't set up to handle exotic car claims to our expectations/ satisfaction. If State Farm continues to give you the run around, just mention that you are considering making a bad faith claim. That can help escalate it within their claims department. I wish you luck getting it resolved quickly. If California is a no fault state, State Farm will handle the claim and subrogate against Travelers for recovery, including your deductible.

Too late for this advice, but for others, this is an example of why it pays to have the right insurance coverage. I would't consider insuring my Ferrari without agreed value and diminution in value coverages. Insurance carriers with private client specialties like Vault, AIG, and Chubb can offer this.

4. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Yeah. I’ve had lousy experience with State Farm as well. Even tho state law says they can’t refuse repair rates, they were doing so anyway. And I wasn’t at fault!

Shameless outfit.

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cwall likes this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Everybody looks at premium quotes, but they don’t research who pays claims.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Smiles, randkin, cwall and 2 others like this.
  6. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Sorry for the thread-jack, OP, but I'm curious if Tex or others could recommend companies known for paying their claims.
    I have Geico and SF and they cash my premium checks promptly but (knock on wood) I've never needed to file a claim.

I've looked into Chubb before and excluded it for some reason. I will call them next week to see if they're an option.
    Never heard of Vault (which just seems fancy based on the website) and I can't find AIG auto coverage (during a cursory search).
    Any other recommendations for an insurance company that pays?

of2worlds, cwall and 430jm like this.
  7. Leon Redensky

Leon Redensky Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nototrader
    I use PURE for everything and so far they have been good. They have extensive experience with high end houses and cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

cwall and RamsHmb like this.
  8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    #8 C50, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    cwall likes this.
  9. Leon Redensky

Leon Redensky Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nototrader
    Only for Hurricane Sandy. Super easy process. For autos, they set replacement value and understand that you can’t drive more than one exotic at the same time, so the rates are generally very cheap.

cwall likes this.
  10. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    How are they being unreasonable?

My agreed value policy stated that only I or my wife could drive the cars. However, if a mechanic/dealer employee/transporter driving the car would be covered by my policy if they did something wrong. I thought this was odd and that those people would be on the hook if something happened to my car.

I verified with my dealer and they told me that technically it would be my insurance that would pay for the damage if caused by them (maybe same thing with the valet). Are they trying to find some technicality, like you drove the car for more miles then you stated when you got the coverage?, car is garaged some place else?, etc..

cwall likes this.
  11. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I can't say I'd recommend them, they are pretty much just as bad as the rest of the big name companies I think. BUT, when my Cayenne was totalled a couple years back I'd only been with Progressive for about 6 months. Car towed right to shop, rental car paid for, adjuster out two days later, offer made and countered, and I had a check in my hand in a total of 6 days. Technically 5 days because the accident happened late Sunday night so nothing really started till Monday and I had a check in my hand Saturday morning. Took them a bit to collect money from the other company but as soon as they did I got another check refunding my $1,000 deductible. Was the easiest insurance claim I've ever been through.

Of course it was a 10+ year old Cayenne and not worth much, no idea if they'd have been harder to deal with had it been higher $$ values involved. I was pretty amazed actually.

of2worlds, cwall and C50 like this.
  12. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Unfortunately your gonna have to go after the at fault insurer for Diminished value in addition to any repairable damages. Depends on your state laws regarding diminished value on how to proceed.

cwall likes this.
  13. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    What does the ticket and signs say regarding using the valet service?

If your car was in the valet lot, and they informed you they are not responsible that may be adding to the problem.

that is one of the risks of driving exotics that we all take.

Insurance has a lot of small print, I hope it works out for you.

cwall likes this.
  14. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta

cwall likes this.
  15. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    USAA if you qualify.

rob5819, cwall and C50 like this.
  16. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    The unreasonable aspect developed when they decided that the front bumper should be repaired rather than replaced. It would need fillers and would never look quite right.

So far they aren't denying the claim in any other way. The valet was in another car and hit my parked car.

17. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Driving places with valet service is in my opinion a no no for nice cars. Kids with little experience driving nice vehicles. Personally, I don't want or need people to see what car I drive. Additionally, having gone to the finest restaurants in Manhattan for almost 20 years, when I entertained clients where you either walked, cabbed or took a limo and no one cared, because there is no parking anyway.

Regarding your situation, I would be finding an adjuster in the company who understood your concerns and the percieved value loss from such a repair.

cwall and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  18. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I posted this in the "Ferrari Discussion (Not Model Specific)" where the OP also posted his question. Now that I see more details, the issue may not be worth calling in the legal cavalry. Although he is not local to the OP, John Draneas in Oregon is an attorney with a strong interest and practice in collector car issues. He writes a monthly column for "Sports Car Market" magazine addressing multiple legal issues associated with collector cars including diminished value. I have communicated with him a couple of times. He has always been helpful. He may have a referral to someone in the OP's local area if he doesn't want to become too involved. Contact info: email to <[email protected]> or call 503-496-5500. (I have no personal or financial connection to John.) Good luck!

of2worlds likes this.
  19. Philfromphilly

Jan 26, 2020
    Full Name:
    Phil Wilson
    I agree with the statement about Erie. I have used them for both my auto and home owners for over 15 years. They have always been outstanding.

carz80am likes this.
  20. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Waivers of rights for consumers in California are probably very hard to enforce.

21. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Happened to my F12 last year , I have a thread about it.

Just got DV claim :)

22. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Thanks for the referral. I have retained John and had a conversation with him today. He seems quite knowledgeable. Will provide feedback on the outcome.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    Glad it worked out for you. I'm curious how you had to handle DV claim, currently State Farm does their lowball DV calculations and issues a take it or leave it check.

24. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Something must be quirky with posting bc I thought the post I wrote didn't take. Then I wrote another..
    Anywho.

USAA doesn't do DV claims. I hired an independent. I thought it was low , but I really didn't expect it go through. Of course I wasn't made whole but its a rich man's game and those are the breaks.

of2worlds likes this.
  25. cwall

cwall Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    In my case I have tow insurance companies to go after SF and Travelers. Will document the process and the outcome.

of2worlds likes this.