$$$ Value of a 1963 250 GTE? | FerrariChat

$$$ Value of a 1963 250 GTE?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Husker, Jun 7, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I may have a chance to buy a 1963 250 GTE. It's in a divorce settlement and the lady just wants to get rid of it. She said to make her a fair offer and she'd take it. Here's the deal:

- Dark Green exterior, brown interior - interior is PERFECT. I would doubt this is the original paint.
    - Needs lots of rust work (floorboards rusted out), etc.
    - Will need a complete new paint job
    - Mechanicals are fine - car starts, runs perfectly
    - Borranis are in good shape.

What is a fair offer?

2. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    A fair offer would be to let me purchase it... ;-)

Congrats on the opportunity! I'd have sweaty palms if I was in your shoes!

3. SilverF20C

SilverF20C Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
  4. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    If you pass, then you are an ass....

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I honestly don't know what a "fair offer" is. I think I could offer her $10K or so and she'd take it just to get it gone. But with all the rust repair and paintwork it needs, what would a fair price be? You've got to understand that this car needs some major body work and TLC. Would $15 to $20K be a good estimate on all of the rust repair and a bare-to-the-metal paint job?

6. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
  7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A "fair offer" is probably 40k. It's worth that in parts alone (just ask Tom Shaughnessy).

As a driver, it's probably worth that-- pay $40k for it, put $60k into it and you'll probably only be $10-20k under water-- not bad as these things go. That's assuming you want it as a nice driver.

8. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Sight unseen, $30k - $55k.

The body repairs will be expensive to do right (probobly a similar quote to the purchase price). However, with some selective patchwork, you will have a fun driver for very cheap!

Good Luck,

Art S.

PS. Go to www.tomyang.com and you will get much more detailed info - the '60s 2+2 guys live there.

9. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    The motor alone is worth 25-35K.

10. boothguy

boothguy Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    David Booth
    A fair offer is whatever the two parties to the transaction THINK is fair and can agree on. It also depends on whether you're a potential owner/conservator of the car for what it is, or are only interested in flipping it (no judgement of either aim implied). It's hard to imagine that anyone who has title to a vintage Ferrari these days hasn't done ten minutes worth of research on the Net to awscertain its value, or doesn't know someone else who will. So I'll be astonished if your $10k offer is accepted.

The engine alone is safely worth $20k as stated earlier, and I'm sure any of the well-respected brokers in our community would have between three and six ready buyers well north of $40k.

Let us know what happens.

11. boothguy

boothguy Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    David Booth
  12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    FAR too many 250GTEs are being turned into replicars. Someone please save and restore this car!

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Thanks for the correction Dave, it must have been late when I wrote that.

Regards,

Art S.

14. Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki Rookie

May 9, 2004
    Actually, this car is a replica, built from a GTO.

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Paint and rust repair on this car, if we use my slightly rusty Dino as an example, could run well past $25K.

I spent $8K+ on rust repair alone.

Bare metal re-spray was another $15K.

It's a VERY NICE job, but I easily could have spent more.

So, make her an offer. If she takes the $10K, you're in a sure fire, no lose position.

DM

16. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Funny enough, I have a slightly different viewpoint on this - I've found that a transaction is most likely fair when both parties think that they got a raw deal. If both parties think they got a fair deal, then one of the parties probably got screwed, but doesn't know any better! ;^) LOL!

17. boothguy

boothguy Karting

Mar 28, 2006
    Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    David Booth
    To DM's point, he's right - the 1960s PF bodied cars, even if only moderately rusty can run way over $25k to do correctly, meaning getting the rust hiding under the lead work, those notorious double floor sections, and the rockers. WAY over $25k. So factor that into your buying decisions/ post-sale plans.

18. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I like it. This is my experience as well.

My business partner just bought a nice 330GT from an estate in Salt Lake City. Paid $20k for a nice solid body car with a rebuilt motor and a noisy gearbox (which grenaded on the way home to California).

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well ,at least he could coast downhill the rest of the way to the ocean...
    $20K? I guess he was still happy then? Really?

A sleeper or no competition for the deal or did he have an inside track to the family....? Not trying to be nosy, just trying to imagine the scenario where an expensive car like that could be obtained for that money....

A Divorce sale would have way more "bad karma" than the estate situation, they were obviously thru enjoying it, in that case..:rolleyes:

20. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Yep, honest injun. The estate was asking $25k. No competition for the deal apparently. The car was at a shop that does Jag V-12s and they did the engine, so there may be some doubt about the goodness of the rebuild. But the car was apparently very straight, original (black) paint maybe, worn interior. I did not see the car, but my partner has a 365 GTC, and a bunch of other good cars and he knows his stuff. I did see a couple of dozen pictures and it appeared to be a good car. They're still out there.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's crazy! Thanks, I'll keep looking then!

I guess you have to spot it in the inventory, between the furniture and the fine china....LOL!

22. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Keep looking. By the time it hits the internet it's too late.

I bought my 330 GT by calling a guy up and asking him if he wanted to sell it. I (luckily) caught him just as he was getting married and was opening a restaurant. I also knew what he had paid for it the year previously. He made a little on the car and I got it for a good price.